Should the Toa and Matoran be the same height? [POLL]

Yes, but in this particular situation, the story is a very important part of the toys being sold.

A. Our matoran are not main characters.
B and C (since they’re essentially the same thing): The matoran are naturally small characters.

What scenario are you thinking of where we are going to have large amounts of short figures? I don’t understand this argument. At the MOST we might have a set with two short figures. This hypothetical concept where the matoran make up the bulk of the minifigures in these sets is honestly ludicrous.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the whole point. It’s a fun project to generate discussion on a podcast.

not really no. Depending on how you write your story, Jaller could end up being Tahu’s superior (in military rank) and thus he could give orders to Tahu.

you don’t have to make the smaller looking character a sidekick to show of how so much stronger and better the big guy is by comparinson.

In this G3 idea the ttv cast is trying to create a story, not sets. Are sets with a few short minifigures completely unrealistic? No. As stated before, not many of the matoran would appear in set form anyways at least compared to the amount of larger figures. The story is a very important part of bionicle is all I’m saying, and I think to sacrifice the looks and lore just for articulation is a little saddening.

They are naturally small in G1. No doubt about that, however, and this goes back to the reason you guys are doing this, these would be toys we’re talking about. If 25-50% of the minifigures in every set with 4 mini-figs had short legs, do you think kids would be happier than if they got 75-100% long-legged mini-figs?

Second quote wasn’t mine, but…

Can’t really say in this G3, yet, but Lego Castle dwarves come to mind.

2 Likes

Already hate the image…granted as you said its because of those darn dirty non-movable legs…if only LEGO made them move…I would care less arguing about this anymore and just move on.

1 Like

Notice he’s saying in context of the playset, not the story. A random person that doesn’t know BIONICLE lore would probably naturally assume Jaller is the sidekick to Tahu and needs saving (as the box art would probably show), and play with the toy that way. It just so happens, that (depending on how the story plays out) is what the actual story is.

Of course. My objection isn’t to differentiating the heights, only that I think Matoran should be the one’s adhering to system’s standard norm, as I think it would aid them in their role of forming a back-drop of everyman characters to contrast with the Toa.

Why waste time and effort making something like this, if you wont try to do it in a legit way and focus on all aspects…If you are just focusing on the story then this whole discussion on the Matoran sizes is irrelevant cause why even bother if we are just going to talk about the story aspect and not anything else when it comes to actual production of the sets and all the limitations that come with that.

If its just story, then who cares about the Matoran size in set form. You can make them pixies to the size of the Toa for all I care.

1 Like

let me put it in this way, if the play set is of a vehicle and Jaller is in the driving seat and Tahu is on the ground fighting the rahkshi, would you still then argue that Jaller could be mistaken as Tahu’s sidekick?

What about the Big Fig troll? Do you have a problem with the Big Fig? Because if a lack of articulation in the LEGO minifigures is a problem, then that is interesting. Minifigs already have a very limited amount of articulation, and I feel like most LEGO fans have come to terms with that. If you want minifigs to have more articulation, then that’s your prerogative, but I think it’s odd to argue for more articulation on something that’s unlikely to change. Is it kind of bad that with the short legs we lose two points of articulation? Sure, but it helps create a size difference between characters.

I say “oh, well”, I’ll take my accurately sized Yoda minifig and be happy with it.

If Jaller has the smaller legs, no, because then it would just be seen like if Batman let Robin take control of the Batmobile for a bit, or if Robin was in his own personal vehicle.

We are talking about how they would work in sets!!! Did you not see what many supporters of the short legs mentioning that not many matoran would be in sets anyways!? And the whole point of this is for fun and something to discuss on the podcast and here in the messageboards! Sure there a huge part of this project that is talking about what would lego do, but Lego wouldn’t do this theme anyway. We can do SOME things that Lego would not do, and who knows, maybe Lego would do some of these things!

Hate them with a passion.

No, I just want each size to have at least the same articulation as a standard minifigure…like holy moly give a chance to move the legs, dont need to feet to move, just the standard articulation of the minifigure is enough.

Holy Molly, make up your mind already then on what this G3 thing is then.

2 Likes

@IllustriousVar,
@Eljay,

May we have/may I have permission to make, a pole to see who would rather have the Toa’s legs lengthen (possibly with an extension), or make the Matoran’s legs shorter?

Its so weird, Lego has made larger movable legs for Toy Story…and yet they never bothered to upgrade the smaller legs to be moveable…sigh.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data//600/toystory1.jpg

As taken from the Podcast desription: “Our BIONICLE G3 Project is a hypothetical reimagining of the BIONICLE franchise as a System-based line, for the purpose of podcast discussion and fun times. This is not an official LEGO line, nor a LEGO-sanctioned project.”

Basically they’re wanting to go about this the way LEGO would, which is discussing what the story would be, what sets would be like, and what the prices and marketing campaigns would be.

1 Like

Sure. In the plot he could outrank Tahu. But that doesn’t really change his role in the set much though.

In a set with 4 minifigs one would be a matoran, two would be toa, and one would be a villain. That’s a perfectly normal ratio of moveable versus non-movable figures. I think kids would be just fine with that.

Okay sure, that’s great for dwarves. But we’re making a line about the Toa not dwarves. The Toa are our characters here, they are not dwarves. They will make up the bulk of our minifigures. I don’t see us ever having a set that does not include at least 1 toa in it. This example you’ve posted simply would not happen.

Because its something to talk about. We’re having fun, but if you find its such a waste of time then by all means kindly exit this topic and let us continue discussing this without you. You have no obligation to push your presence on us and the experience will not be hampered with you gone.

Absolutely.

1 Like

Then dont go and tell me these things people:

I think he just means “official” sets, like actually producing and selling toys.