Should the Toa of Lightning's name be Voriki? [Characters]

http://puu.sh/v2ZXw/1164c13f04.jpg

Lightning is light. It can be seen in basically any color.

5 Likes

…that’s what I said. It’s white light, so we can only see colors in it if the atmospheric conditions are right. The same goes for sunsets and sunrises.

2 Likes

I was gonna say,
Because, if you search up “Lightning” on its own, you get a decent amount of purple.

1 Like

I’m just gonna jump in here amongst the drama and say that whenever I see purple I almost always think lightning.
Jumps back out again

1 Like

I don’t think it matters a whole lot but I would go with purple simply because the purple throwbot was Electro. That’s a good enough reason for me.

4 Likes

I’d say just do purple and yellow, it seems like a nice compromise and it would probably look neat too.

4 Likes

Actually, those are opposite colors so it would actually look good.

6 Likes

Exactly. None of the other Toa are using the colors (at least extensively) so She’d stand out, but also look sweet.

5 Likes

*complementary, and yes. Like I said above, I recommend a purple/yellow or yellow/purple color scheme regardless of the name.

3 Likes

24 Likes

Ehem.

Var.

Meme replies are forbidden, don’t ya know.

https://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/tumblr_mzy7xqti0e1tp482vo1_500.gif?w=500&h=240

That is all, disregard me.

27 Likes

Last time I checked staff can break the rules so…

8 Likes

As a counterpoint that no one has brought up yet, someone (Kahi, I think) said in the last podcast that they were trying to stick with existing names as much as possible. Hence the usage of Artakha for the island and all of the old location names for the cities. Thus, I would wager that they’d rather use Voriki than make something new up. (Either that or use Nikila, but that’s a really obscure name.)

2 Likes

dont you know rule of law is nonexistent
:sunglasses:
we’re getting off topic

I’m actually on board with Slime here myself, I don’t think our Toa of Lightning should be called Voriki. I don’t think it fits in too well with the other Toa (along with the suggested color scheme of yellow/purple), and I find Voriki to be a pretty masculine name.

I’m actually more on board with this as her name.

3 Likes

What if we called the toa of lightning Nidhiki for an epic betrayal plot twist that everyone would most likely see coming

2 Likes

Man, people just like ragging on anyone for the sake of anything. This isn’t even canon or an official G3. I guess people are so sensitive to change they won’t even let someone change their bib every time they let mindless anger spill out of their mouths. Source material is meant to be reaped, torn apart and stitched back together in whatever bizarre amalgamation a creator cares for. This isn’t about respecting the source material, since the old still exists as it always has and this has no bearing on its legacy.

Being perfectly loyal to the source material results in a stagnant and pointless story that at best can fix the flaws of its predecessor but not be anything new on its own. That’s how we get stuff like the new Beauty and the Beast, which doesn’t interest me at all.

Personally, I think the toa of lightning could just be a female Takanuva. I used to love the toa of lightning in G1 until I realized the differences between them and toa of light were a bit few. Luckily, this TTVG3 solves that by making the toa representatives of their environments, rather than elements directly. I think this means that Voriki/Takanuva could be made more unique by being a toa of storm, though I can see the argument some will have that storms can be made by combining toa elements, thought what do I know.

I think Voriki is a cute idea that would just be kinda funny, but I’m not totally partial one way or another. I think calling them Takanuva may make more sense in using old official names and in Takanuva having actually been a real 7th toa, but at the same time I love Takua as a matoran more than a toa, so if TTVG3 has plans to keep Takua around as they are then a lady Voriki works just as well.

But seriously though, what’s a 7th toa to a Good Guy?

3 Likes

I’m going to take a very different stance and challenge the idea of canonizing a meme. I mean really, how is this a good idea? It’s one thing if someone makes part of your franchise into a meme, it’s another thing entirely to make part of your franchise out of a meme. To me it falls on the same vain as using ships in the gender debate, shippers are gonna do whatever anyways, regardless of legitimatecy, And meme makers are the same way. Personally, I have no issue with the idea of creating a character based off of Voriki, but in my mind to use that name is to lend legitimatecy to a decade and a half old prank and effectively canonize a meme. It’s like if Disney made sequels based on popular ships, or if Overwatch started canonizing some of their outlandish ships, there is no support in the source material, and it makes no sense.

1 Like

So basically, a good Toa of Lightning would have the colors yellow and purple and a different name?

I mean Ekimu was the 7th character for g2 and he was different than Takanuva. Why can’t this work again with another simple name?

My ideal 7th Toa would be gold and purple and have a short, easy to remember name.

4 Likes

Fully agreed.

Now, concerning the name… we could always call her Chiara. That was the name of a G1 Toa of Lightning.

plus it’s a really pretty name and I like it

goshdangit var

3 Likes