Should the Toa's Gender Be Changed? (More female team members?) [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

If you are a passive listener, then no, you don’t.

If you’re going to engage and argue about our decisions, then you should actually listen to the entirety of our decisions before saying something about them. You “skimmed” a huge development in our pitch, one that was meaningful enough for you to actually argue for it.

So again, if you want to debate, actually listen to the podcast. Your opinion doesn’t matter otherwise.

4 Likes

I have been a passive listener until now, but I feel like its wrong to say that a human beings opinion doesn´t matter just because they did not listen to your podcast. He can still decide if he likes the (hopefully not set in stone because I don´t like the idea either) gender change of lewa or not.

3 Likes

That’s not what I’m saying.

He is welcome to favor or dislike the gender ratio change. What I’m saying is that if you’re going to spend your time getting into a lengthy debate, know what you’re talking about. Especially if the thing you’re arguing for is already being put in place.

Liking something or not liking something is subjective, and that’s not what makes it not matter. His opinion doesn’t matter because it is uninformed, but he still is trying to debate with it. An uninformed opinion in a debate is irrelevant to the conversation, and therefore doesn’t matter.

It is set in stone.

Like I said, either respect the source material or make new characters, don’t just skin the mata and have these, skinwalkers wear their pelts.

Wow, ok if you’re just gonna come out and say it, I mean.

Seems like the only part of the community you’re listening to is the polls, and all this debate is superfluous, I personally haven’t seen a cast member change their stance on anything from these debates, and if any of you have I implore you to correct me.

I specifically remember var saying things weren’t being set in stone yet, but now that you say they are I guess I’m right about you guys not changing your minds and all of this being pointless.

2 Likes

I’m not into the gender-swap thing with an already established character, but since this is a new character, I’m not opposed to Lewa being female. I’ll consider voting this.

So you’re telling me that I need to spend hours listening to you chat it up about something that, in the end, I can usually gather all the necessary information from after the fact, or else nothing I say actually has any consequence? That’s actually insane. This is the first time I’ve been in the dark about something major you’ve discussed, and the information I’ve missed does not really impact my point.

So are you guys willing to change your mind about things you’re doing or are you not? Either this is a community project, or it’s just yours until someone in the community says or draws something you want to see or hear.

This has never been about whether I wanted the change or not. This is about why the change is of no actual benefit to G3. There are no actual merits to a change like this. It’s change for change’s sake, and as many have already stated, that’s not good change.

They’re not even really influenced by that. Elements poll says that Stone should be dropped in favor of Lightning, so TTV…combines Earth with Plantlife. Genderbend poll says that nobody should be genderbent, so TTV…makes Lewa a girl.

1 Like

I think they would be willing to change their opinions if you provided a compelling argument. Basically what you’re saying boils down to “I don’t like it” and “respect gen 1”.

They have changed their minds on several things due to community feedback. Just recently they spent around an hour arguing over Pohatu’s element only to have a fan convince them to keep it as stone.

4 Likes

There has been hours of debate and compelling arguments to be had, I’ve been willing to concede on points and have done so, others have conceded on points to me, there are compelling arguments being made.

What I’m saying is there’s no reason for it and plenty of reasons against it. Don’t try to invalidate the argument by saying I just don’t like change.
I’ve advocated for some changes, I’m not against change on principle.

Which is something I’m actually against, because it means the complete rewrite of earth as an element to be plants and topsoil, which is confusing for the black toa to control, surely it would make more sense visually for pohatu to control plants?

If the ninjago movie made Cole a girl and changed the characters personalities and elements, would the fans just not like change? It’s a different continuity, they can change whatever they want right?
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, which isn’t me saying that there isn’t anything that should change, a lot of the problems of g1 were fixed in g2, and g2 had problems that g1 didn’t, and somewhere in there is a good g3 rule set, but a lot of the changes being made either solve a problem that doesn’t exist, such as the gender ratio, or solves a problem that does exist poorly, such as the changes to the elements.

2 Likes

Yes. We are telling you that.

It’s not a community project. It’s our project that we are allowing you to make contributions to.

I mean this is an opinion that we have combated for over a week now. If it was really as meaningless as you say it wouldn’t have been such a hot topic to begin with.

The polls are to gauge community opinions. It is not a vote. Its a poll. It was never stated that we would choose the highest rated option, and especially with no compromises.

Yes. Things were not set in stone when I said that.
That has since changed.

A lot of you just don’t seem to understand that this is a podcast project, and you have to actually listen to podcast if you want to participate in this discussion.

Every Satuday new things are set in stone. Female Lewa is now set in stone. No one here made an argument that convinced us not to do it.

It should be obvious that Onua’s appearance would be adjusted to accommodate this change, I really don’t understand this statement.

No it wouldn’t? Because they’re two different people? Unless you’re placing value on characters only for gender alone then all it does is add, not subtract.

1 Like

I want to reiterate this as much as I can. This is TTV’s G3. We listen to all of your feedback, we are inspired by your artwork and concepts and the fans have made a definite impact on what we would do with this series. This is a collaborative effort, to be sure.

But this is not a community project in the sense that what is “canon” is decided by the community. What is canon is decided by us; always has been, always will be. We gage opinions and listen to pitches, but we aren’t completely beholden to them or “popular opinion”. From what I’ve seen so far, that would be a catastrophic mistake.

2 Likes

You may have intended for this to be your project, but you have framed it as a community project.
You need to make it absolutely clear that you’re doing what you want and not what the community wants.

3 Likes

I have absolutely. No. fathomable idea how you could say this has been framed as
anything other than our project.

This rules of this sub category are very clear as to what this is.

The title is literally “TTV’s G3 Project”. How else could we spell this out for you? You need to read the rules to participate, this his how it’s always been on this board.

4 Likes

Then you’re clearly incapable of understanding just how ridiculous your request is, considering the information I posed in the paragraph you quoted. It’s unreasonable to ask anyone to spend HOURS sitting and just listening to assorted conversations that, like I said, only grant tidbits of informations I’d otherwise miss which may marr my comprehension of what you’re actually doing.

And going back to the newly-added timestamp regarding a re-imagining of what the Toa are mean to be in G3–a timestamp which wasn’t included in the description when I first went to check out the podcast–I don’t exactly see how that has any impact whatsoever on the argument. You’re still taking these characters from G1 and translating them into a new storyline. That these new Toa are effectively avatars of past Toa doesn’t mean anything for the nature of reboots and the obligations one faces by making one.

Something being debated does not equal that thing having importance. I’d provide an example, but I can’t think of any that aren’t political/religious in nature, so I won’t open that can of worms.

If you’re not going to do anything with the polls, why bother with them?

Well, it’s come off very much as a community project. Not once have I seen anything officially stating that this is only TTV’s project, and that the community can only hope to maybe influence you on decisions regarding absolutely anything.

The title implies that the end result is decided by TTV. It does not imply that every single call is 100% your decision and that the community has very little influence, as you say is the case.

This entire category is centered around the podcast. If you are not willing to listen to the podcast, then you have no place discussing here. It’s really a simple concept that I don’t understand whats so hard to grasp.

They are being discussed on the podcast, that is their purpose. If you aren’t going to watch the podcast then its no surprise that you don’t seem to understand what they’re for. [quote=“SirKeksalot, post:207, topic:34741”]
Well, it’s come off very much as a community project. Not once have I seen anything officially stating that this is only TTV’s project, and that the community can only hope to maybe influence you on decisions regarding absolutely anything.
[/quote]

Dude. I cant even.

You’re telling me that a title that says “TTV’s Project” somehow implies that it is not actually our project? Are you sure you really want to stick with that argument?

2 Likes

The thing that’s so hard to grasp is that this is the first and only time that my means of getting my information has come up in this project. Ergo, it is of no consequence that I only skim the podcast for relevant information. I get what you’re saying, but what I don’t get is how this, the first time this has come up (which doesn’t actually affect my argument, mind you), somehow invalidates me from talking about a fan project wherein the final calls and relevant information are almost entirely detailed outside of the podcast anyway.

That’s cool and all, but that doesn’t change the fact that the polls clearly have no influence whatsoever on your decisions. Whether or not you’re discussing them is of no consequence at all; all that matters is what you decide upon.

That’s not my argument. The title only implies that you own the project and that you choose which community voices get heard. It doesn’t imply that the community has only the slightest influence.

I would think that a topic listing what is official would imply that. Who decides that? The logical conclusion would be us.

But if you’re incapable of basic logical reasoning, don’t worry! Because it actually says:

And also in the Rules:

1 Like

I said you made it look like a community project. I didn’t say that made sense with the polls.

The topic never states outright that TTV is the only party that gets to have a significant amount of influence. In owning the project, it’s necessary that you’d be the ones to make the final call; but nowhere is it stated that those calls are not based on community input in a noteworthy capacity.

The first rule doesn’t have any impact on the nature of how the pitch is developed. The second and third are just common sense.

so just to put it simply here so there is a clear enough idea on what the community’s role in the TTV project is, its then basicly something like this,

basicly, the cast “walk” around the message boards, look at the ideas and stuff people present that fit their vision, and then say “i like this ones, i will consider them”

10 Likes

How can you even type this out and not realize how ridiculous of a statement that is?

The title says we are the owners of the project. The project is ours.

That is as outright as you can get. You cannot claim ownership over something that is not yours. You do not get to dictate what and how the possessions of someone else is treated. You do not get to set the rules to a rulebook that does not belong to you. Nowhere is it mentioned that you will have any kind of say in what we decide to do with our project.

Yeah, this is pretty much spot on what this category is for. Oomatu, for instance, has presented several concepts that we had not previously thought of or considered that we now want to incorporate just because the concept is so strong. You can sway the direction of where we go, but ultimately we will be deciding what goes in our project.

3 Likes

I’m clearly in the wrong here.
Faulty memory and the general tone of the discussion topics has obviously given me the wrong idea, and I would like to apologize profusely for the misunderstanding on my part.
I feel like a right fool to be honest, I only hope this hasn’t poisoned any water so to speak, regardless I’m glad to have things set straight.

6 Likes