Should the Toa's Gender Be Changed? (More female team members?) [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

Except they don’t. They strive to show how or why you could, not why you should or even would.

1 Like

i personaly feel that the main problem with changing the genders of a character is because it means that, you have a story but it only works if the character is changed to fit that story, instead of the story being writen with the character in mind.

really the better way to tell a story i feel is to add something for the characters instead of changing their personalities or gender. Like the siblings idea i have mention before, imagine how Lewa would interact and behave if he had like say a little sister.

3 Likes

Right now, I would advocate for keeping the Toa’s genders the same; no gender-bending or whatever.

However, then the idea would be that after the 3-year original story with the Toa Mata (or the G3 envisioning of them) you can have a new Toa team with perhaps a female majority, new characters, etc.

8 Likes

This is were I am. I am all for the establishment of new characters that would, in the eventuality that the line for renewed for more years, go on to take the place of the Toa Mata. I’m not sure about a female majority, I feel that with Bionicle’s general marketing as a boys line that might be sort of extreme, personally for the main team I would never go beyond a 50/50 split. That being said I have no problem with the existence of a female majority team, I just don’t think that it would market well as the main team. But, on top of all of that, I am 100% against any sort of gender bending or replacement of the Toa Mata for the first three years. Reboots are built upon name recognition, both of the franchise and the characters. The name recognition of the Toa Mata is something that I feel Lego would never give up, it’s something that makes it easy to draw on old fans without having any real affect on new fans. That being said, in name only reboots are worse than creating completely new characters. I keep seeing people say that we could change the personalities of the toa to match whatever they want to do, but isn’t that one of the things everyone hated about G2? That all of the Toa acted nothing like who they were supposed to be? How is switching around genders and changing personalities any different?

5 Likes

If this isn’t a good reason to not make Pohatu a girl, I don’t know what is.

5 Likes

i would want more female characters, but not changing old ones, i hate when people do this in reboots, its annoying, keep them the same and add some more strong female characters without using strong male characters as the base for it.

4 Likes

I don’t know if I like that idea or hate that idea.

I’m just going to throw in my two cents. Things like comics are rebooted all of the time, right? Well, to my knowledge, the gender of popular characters rarely, if ever, changes. If the Flash was suddenly made female, it would certainly change the Justice League’s dynamic, but almost everyone would hate it. It would not be the same character. Introducing female counterparts is one thing (Batgirl, Supergirl, ect), but they should not take the place of the main characters. Reboots are generally reimaginings of the same universe and characters, but with small tweaks and different stories. Anyway, that’s what I think, obviously you may disagree.

3 Likes

I agree with you but Marvel recently did a major Gender swap with one of the Avengers: Thor I don’t know if it sit well with the Marvel fanbase, or not; just throwing that out there

1 Like

I never really followed that, but I’m pretty sure that that was Jane Foster, and the actual Thor was not worthy any more.

2 Likes

You should probably look at how marvels been doing lately, it’s not going well, mostly from the massive backlash from their fans from things like female Thor.

4 Likes

That was actually received very poorly.

3 Likes

All I think they should do is have a both Males and Females in each tribe, apart from that I’m cool beans dude :slight_smile:.

1 Like

@Sabretooth @Payinku @SirKeksalot

thanks for the information, I had no idea if it was well received, only that it existed!

Well, then there’s clear evidence against gender swaps with fictional characters!

3 Likes

I mean, that’s just Marvel. Marvel fans are a bit different than BIONICLE and Lego fans.

I take it you haven’t been keeping up with the discussion topics, and proverbial mountains of debate we’ve created.

1 Like

Female Thor’s “backlash” really wasn’t that big. It was a deal when it was announced, but after the character’s arc started being told it stopped becoming something people talked about.

Actual comic books are “rebooted”, i.e. starting from issue #1, all of the time. But the actual characters being rebooted in continuity is much, much rarer. Marvel has essentially never done officially it, although it did introduce a rebooted universe with Ultimate Marvel. DC has rebooted its timeline with Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis and the New 52, but most of them were all to “clear up” continuity discrepancies caused by the Golden/Silver Age of Comics and less about creating new characters for a new audience. So it isn’t the best metric to look at.

But that also doesn’t mean that gender swaps haven’t been well received. A great example of this is Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel, originally a Kree named Mar-Vell who switched places with Rick Jones, was a male character with his own comic book. Somewhere along the line, he got replaced by Carol Danvers (formerly Ms. Marvel) and now she is the defacto Captain Marvel, who will be featured in the upcoming movie.

2 Likes

What does that have to do with anything? I’ve been keeping up with quite a few, and I simply don’t understand why you’re comparing Marvel’s attempts to this. Marvel’s is purely for money and shock value nowadays. This isn’t.

4 Likes

Ok, good point. But with the movies, I think my point still stands. We’re on our third Spiderman, lol.

I think later on in the story six more characters should become Toa with half girls and half guys. This would give use a total of twelve heroes for the finally with 1/3 being girls.