Should the Toa's Gender Be Changed? (More female team members?) [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

Whoops I read that wrong.

Also, hypothetically you could pave new stories for the original Toa as well. If you make the plot of G3 different, of course there’s gonna be different things the characters can do. This world is being built from the ground up, with the Toa Mata as characters. There’s so much potential to do more. Shoot, if you didn’t change anything at all with the original Toa there’s still so much they could have done.

1 Like

Yep, very true.

I think Lewa should become female, but also Kopaka. I think her (his) personality could act as a good contrast to the other female members of the team.

If there’s no problem, then there is no need for change. Changing genders doesn’t make for a new, interesting story; it doesn’t make more logistical sense; and as you just conceded, it doesn’t solve any existing problems.

That was a problem. The problem was twofold. A fundamental aspect of Pohatu’s identity as a character was done away with, and so G2 Pohatu was Pohatu in name only. That’s bad. Developed or not, that change was unnecessary and, therefore, detrimental.

Either go with the OG Toa or don’t. There is no point to taking the names and faces of these characters and changing whatever you want. At that point, you’re not taking those characters, you’re just going with the same names.

I could understand your sentiment if you were making new characters from scratch; in which case, go ahead. I’m not peeved in the slightest. But you’re acting like that’s what you’re doing when, in reality, you’re taking pre-established characters and merely developing them again.

Gender doesn’t affect this. Lewa won’t be “deeper” for being a girl. A person is not defined by their gender, but by their words and deeds.

To quote Nostalgia Critic, “CHOOSE!” Either gender is of consequence or it isn’t.

4 Likes

Are you not using the previous lewa as a base for g3 lewa? If you’re just going to change whatever just make new characters, if you’re using a previously established character, respect the source material.

If you don’t think a predominantly male cast is a problem, then why replace male characters with female ones?

The better being less males, more females apparently, I have a question, what’s wrong with the current gender ratio?

I wasn’t intending to strawman you, that’s just what this argument sounds like to me.

Then I’m sorry I don’t find characters relatable based on how much they physically resemble me, if pohatu had been the female toa they still would have been my favorite because of their personality, I find race and gender to be negligible differences when it comes to relatability.

Then they’ll relate to the character most like them, if they relate the most to tahu, then they’ll still relate the most to female tahu, if they relate the most to gali, they’ll still relate most to male gali, so changing a characters gender is functionally redundant.

1 Like

They’re new characters. Listen to the latest podcast.

(But even if they weren’t we’d do it anyways - it’s a redesign)

Because we thought it’d make for a more interesting and distinct character.

Then make new characters, don’t cover your new characters in the pelts of the mata.

Is there something about a female character that makes them inherently more interesting or distinct than a male character?

3 Likes

Yes.

In a cast of characters that is predominantly male, it should be obvious that a female character is inherently more distinct.

6 Likes

This is true, but it little to help your argument.

Adding more of a race, gender, any kind of anything, I believe, would detract from it’s value.
Specifically, how would adding another girl to the team still make Gali distinct? It would just detract from her attention of a character, if gender is one of the main distinction points.

You only leave them with two options. However, this situation doesn’t only have two options. This is what limits creativity with re-imaginations; you limit the possibilities of what you could do.

1 Like

It absolutely has 2 options. Keep the characters we know and love with only minor alterations, or change them dramatically. If they don’t act, think, and or look (this last point being the most arbitrary) like the character we’re told they are, they are not a good interpretation of that character unless the change is a direct improvement on something that was flawed.

If Lewa were a bad character with no really solid qualities and you were going to rework his personality into something an actual human could relate to, that would be good. But you’re taking something that doesn’t need to change and changing it not because it allows for a new, more interesting plot (as with changing the political situation of the Matoran factions), not because it takes something bad and makes it good, but because…why?

Then just make a new IP. If they’re entirely new characters, what’s the point of referring to them by the names of old ones?

It doesn’t make them more interesting or distinct. Either the character is well-developed, relatable, and consistent, or they’re not. Gender does not play into this. If Lego rebooted Bionicle and made Lewa a girl, but kept the core attributes of what makes Lewa who he is, then I would be rather peeved over an unnecessary change, but I would still be able to say that that’s Lewa. On the other hand, I do not feel comfortable identifying G2 Pohatu as Pohatu because he’s so drastically different, he could have been in G1 as a foil to Pohatu.

Not on an important level. Being an individual with a distinct personality is what makes a character distinct. Gender, at the end of the day, is little more than an arrangement of organs and hormones. It plays into how you and others see yourself, but it doesn’t define you as a person in any capacity.

2 Likes

You missed the part where he said to listen to the latest podcast. The Toa aren’t entirely new characters, but there’s a unique twist this time around.

2 Likes

The YT version has no relevant timestamps, and I’m not about to spend 2 hours listening to some guys talking when I can just find out what they’re going to do later.

Also, define “unique aspect of the Toa.”

You’re not obligated to watch all of our podcasts.

But if you want to debate with people about the merits of our pitch, you should know what you’re talking about.

You are literally wasting everyone’s time.

5 Likes

So sorry for making the assumption that I’d be able to know what you were talking about from the things you’re saying in your posts. I should know better than to try to discern the points of your argument from your argument.

Yes.

You should know better than to argue that we aren’t doing something, and then upon learning that we are doing that something, state that you shouldn’t have to do any research.

2 Likes

This is the first time I haven’t gone through a podcast to determine all the major points; and I did skim it to see what you guys were saying. That’s when I found out you’d made the decision to genderbend Lewa. But as far as I could tell, I was able to tell what points you were making from your own posts; and I wouldn’t think that it should be too hard to decide what exactly the meaning of a reboot is.

I’ve been doing research up to this point. I’ve been keeping up with what you’d written in stone. And like I said, I did go to the video about the gender fiasco and try to get a sense of what happened. But I should not have to devote hours to that research on something that I would assume would be a given.

If you are a passive listener, then no, you don’t.

If you’re going to engage and argue about our decisions, then you should actually listen to the entirety of our decisions before saying something about them. You “skimmed” a huge development in our pitch, one that was meaningful enough for you to actually argue for it.

So again, if you want to debate, actually listen to the podcast. Your opinion doesn’t matter otherwise.

4 Likes

I have been a passive listener until now, but I feel like its wrong to say that a human beings opinion doesn´t matter just because they did not listen to your podcast. He can still decide if he likes the (hopefully not set in stone because I don´t like the idea either) gender change of lewa or not.

3 Likes

That’s not what I’m saying.

He is welcome to favor or dislike the gender ratio change. What I’m saying is that if you’re going to spend your time getting into a lengthy debate, know what you’re talking about. Especially if the thing you’re arguing for is already being put in place.

Liking something or not liking something is subjective, and that’s not what makes it not matter. His opinion doesn’t matter because it is uninformed, but he still is trying to debate with it. An uninformed opinion in a debate is irrelevant to the conversation, and therefore doesn’t matter.

It is set in stone.