Skylanders Academy (Netflix series)

A good writer doesn’t make a good series inevitable. I mean, George Lucas wrote the Original Trilogy and the prequels, and both had far different public receptions.

6 Likes

EDIT: This is true as well. So, I still agree with Plural, but I feel it has a chance.

I mean, I’ve heard good things about Voltron. This series, good or not, may do well. Kids will watch it, they do like Skylanders. In fact, even JTO did well up until that atrocity of an ending, and that wasn’t even Netflix fault. Eh, it could fail, look what happened to Glitter Force. I guess Netflix shows can do bad, but I don’t really think it’s on their end. But I could be wrong.
And it does like look like a Nick show, like the character similarities.

Ok, then it does have potential to be good. Kids shows (despite me not watching most of them currently) have gotten better in recent times, like Gravity Falls as you mentioned (haven’t seen a lot of it) Plus, I love Futurama. This has an opportunity, so hopefully it doesn’t fail.

3 Likes

*george lucas only produced and co-produced empire strikes back and return of the jedi

3 Likes

if my memory is correct, George did not write the original trilogy all by himself, it was edited by many other people into the version that is loved today (which is also the reason why people like to take away George’s status as the creator of Star Wars and instead clame that he had little to noting to do with it at all) while the Prequil trilogy was all writen by him.

He had written the original story bible, however. Of course, changes such as the Death Star in Episode IV were made, but he still wrote up what eventually became Star Wars. The beginning and end results were the same CCBS skeleton with different armor shells, if you will.

2 Likes

But Lucas has repeatedly stated the parts he has worked on in some cases, as well as his original concept. Lucas is still an overseer. It IS his franchise. If there was something he specifically didn’t like, he may have taken it out.[quote=“Joe, post:29, topic:29849”]
He had written the original story bible, however. Of course, changes such as the Death Star in Episode IV were made, but he still wrote up what eventually became Star Wars. The beginning and end results were the same CCBS skeleton with different armor shells, if you will.
[/quote]

Yeah this. Star Wars = Lucas’ creation. He doesn’t have to write every line.

3 Likes

Guys, this is starting to get off topic, you should probably move this somewhere else

I agree, though it is a valid comparison.

Let’s talk about the show again so we don’t derail this

… you guys did not really talk about the show, most of the time you guys talked about how much you all disliked the Skylander Franchise. the only time you started to talk about the show was when i brough up that Eric Rogers was overseeing the production.

anyway, as many can see in the trailer, most of the cast are more or less built up of Core Skylander characters (the skylanders who are not part of a spesific group of Skylanders like the Giants, Swap Force, Trap Team and SuperChargers), Trap Team Skylanders, like Snap Shot (which makes sence, because the Trap Team Skylanders where only transported to Earth after the Cloudcracker Prison was destroyed by Kaos) and one Imaginator we see at the end.

the only non Skylander characters in the trailer we don’t see from the games however ,are Flynn, Cali, Hugo, Persephone, Tessa, Buzz and Mags.

Also, while most of you would probably say that none of you care about the Skylanders, i personaly like many of them, and that is because the Skylanders to me is like, just as an example here, like the Justice League or the Avengers, basicly a massive super hero group who defends the world from villains.

also, i personaly hope that the show will have more villains than just Kaos and the Doom Raiders, one villain i think many would like to see… Would be Malefor.

now before anyone here stops me and say “whaaat? Malefor only exist in the Legends of Spyro games” well some of the people who have played Skylanders and remember its lore would know that Malefor have infact been refrenced in Cynder and Hex’s backstory. and a few years later, he finely made his appearance in the three part comic book storyline: “Return of the Dragon King” and this is what he looked like:

and to show just how much of a threat the story treated him as being:

to those who are wondering, Malefor in that story was actualy severly injured at that time and thats why he is wearing that suit of armor, originaly he looked much closer to his Legends of Spyro appearance, but after his battle with Hex, he was so injured that he had lost his wings, his tail and some parts of his body.

Malefor, as he looked like before being defeated by Hex.

Yes, but the show is based on the games, so I think it’s justified to base some opinions of the show on what it rooted from. Kinda like how your thoughts on Bionicle 2006 can affect your thoughts on Heroes, they’re not directly related but one somehow stemmed from another.

3 Likes

Tim Burton created Batman, but also created Alice in Wonderland. Just because somebody is attached to a project, it doesn’t make it any better or worse.

Those promoting a project say stuff like this all the time.

“[Project A] will be the next [Project B]!”

“[Project C] will combine [Project B] and [Project D]!”

It’s just a way of attracting demographics that enjoyed a work that is being called similar to this new show/movie.

This was done from a natural flow in the conversation, asking whether or not Skylanders deserves a show.

3 Likes

you do know that the answer will allways be based in Opinion. While you and a few others here might say that Skylanders should not get a show and that it instead should be canceld from the start. That does not mean that its based on facts. there are many shows and franchises that for other people, should not get nor should ever get a tv show. Franchises like Star Wars, Bionicle, Ratchet and Clank, He-Man,Ghostbusters,DC and Marvel Comic properties and many more. For different people, there are opinions on weather or not these franchises should get tv shows (of for the non movie based franchises, a movie). While many here were exited from a Bionicle tv show on Netflix, there were those who did not like the idea, and that is ither because they have a view point of the franchise being possibly ruind by being put on a platform that could limit the way a story is told (like the "non-kill rule that kids networks have), to the idea of a bad adaption which happends to many franchises or just viewing the consepts as a way to “milk their beloved franchise” by putting it on tv or on Netflix.

you know, its odd how the “opinion” thing have been used, both as a way to “agree to disagree”, and to declare how “one’s opinion is more important than others”.

Yes, of course. We’re just showing our reasons why it shouldn’t. This creates a discussion to help us better understand both sides of the coin.

Never said it was.

I don’t see what you’re getting at here. No one here said “Henrik, your opinion is wrong because I’m better than you.” Most if not all users who took part in this conversation had reasonable reasons on why they don’t like (or like) the Skylanders franchise.

2 Likes

That was not directed to you or any of the other members, it was something i just noted because i used the opinion argument, which i remember have been used for different reasons in an argument.

Belive me, i was having a hard time writing it in a way that did not make it come off like it was aimed at you.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know about this… Seems really kiddy and dull.

Also, is Skylanders still making jokes about how evil sheep are? Because that was a running gag in the first game.

From like, five years ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

i don’t think the joke is how sheeps are evil, i think its more on how Sheeps are the punching bag of the Skylander universe.

also i think the gag is meant to be a refrence to the old Spyro the Dragon Commercials:

Oh, fair enough, then.

1 Like

This seems fun enough, but, as I’m not a fan of the Games, I don’t think I’ll be watching it. I might check out the first episode, and see what happens from there, but meh.

…at least the animation looks good?

Can’t help but feel like this is gonna flop. Maybe I’m being too judgemental though.

3 Likes

your not the only one. Many here who does not like Skylanders, have said similar thing.

its the mentality of “it has (insert name) on it, so we all know its going to be bad”