Skylanders Academy (Netflix series)

skylanders needs to be more like berserk

you’re right

5 Likes

I feel like it’d be on a list of things beside such mango masterpieces as Cory in the House, Educational 90s videos or iCarly

2 Likes

Not really, no. This world, based on what I have watched, has proven itself to be rather boring and very much a generic fantasy setting. The story has seemed bare-bones and doesn’t really catch any of my interest, not as a television show nor as an actual story itself.

It’s not just the production qualities of the show I take issue with, as I have found the story itself to be boring and a few bits of “added flare” really can’t help that much. The story may advance, sure, but on the inside it’s still essentially a toy advertisement, and little more. If there is anything I have learned in my many experiences with watching cartoons designed to sell toys to a younger child demographic, it’s that the destiny of the show is reliant on the destiny of the toyline.

5 Likes

i bet @joe would rate skylanders academy a 1/10 on myanimelist

for scaling the filthy frank show is 10/10

1 Like

Look I’m gonna be real honest this show is as good as the Nutshack okay. Tolerate one episode if you must.

2 Likes

lets see here

Nutshack have 2,3 out of 10 on IMDb.

Skylander academy have 7,7 out of 10 on IMDb.

take a look for yourself if you don’t belive me:

And that’s the only place that’s rated this show.

4 Likes

also reviews are subjective

overall score doesnt change one persons opinion

if he thinks its as good as the nutshack that’s his opinion

and you can’t change opinion with general scores

4 Likes

I don’t really see what public opinion has to do with any of this.

Look at it this way, Death Note is one of the highest rated anime on MyAnimeList. That show, was downright terrible, from an objective point of view; limited character/setting development, poor writing, etc. Just because people say they like something doesn’t mean it’s good on an objective level.

Also, I’m pretty sure you’re taking Squeaver’s joke a bit too seriously.

6 Likes

Never cared for Skylanders, never will, will never watch this.

(Yay for adding something to the conversation…)

1 Like

Review scores don’t mean a thing, man. :stuck_out_tongue:

I intend to watch Skylanders Academy, but I just… Don’t want to. :stuck_out_tongue: I went on Netflix earlier today to watch it, but I thought "Oh, look, they added Zootopia. A Disney movie that I haven’t seen, huh?.. Yeah, I’m watching that instead. :stuck_out_tongue: "

I think I’ll just distract myself until the end of time so that I don’t have to watch it. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

So after hearing someone tell me it was awful I decided to check it out.

That person was right.

First of all, what was the point of the whole Baby Spyro thing? It didn’t need to be in the story. It doesn’t give that much exposition, and feels that it could be written out entirely. Just have the narrator explain the whole lore or something.

The theme was awful. It’s just a generic pop song.

The humor was forced and unfunny.

Also the whole “Kids having to learn how to work as a team and it’s and academy” thing has been done to death, and this doesn’t seem to try and make it interesting.

Overall, I cannot recommend this series.

4 Likes

Funny thing; I skipped through it.

I understand Spyro is the main character and all, but they seem to be making him a focus without really giving his character much of interest. He’s more or less just your stereotypical egotistical kid.

for the first episode.

some of the later episodes focus more on the other characters at times too like in the episode “Dream Girls” which is a Stealth Elf focused episode.

we also have “Anger Mismanagement” which is an Eruptor focused episode.

just so its clear, the final episode of season 1 have a rather good “Tear Jerker” moment with Kaos having to chose betwine sideing with ither the Doom Raiders or his Mother.

This choise infact ends with Kaos being told to never return back to his mother’s home, because he sided with the Doom Raiders.

I didn’t learn that from the show, I learned that from the video game marketing that Spyro is the main protagonist that they want to sell as a character.

See, this is part of my issue with the show.

Like I said earlier, it’s a show advertising a toyline. They really can’t kill off any named characters, it’s practically impossible. Any real sense of suspense and actual threat is diminished when you realize that kids don’t like to play with toys of dead characters.

If they kill off a character, no matter if this show isn’t canon to the games, the kids watching this will lose interest in the character and toy sales for that character will plummet.

There may be minor “Tear Jerker” moments, as you refer to them by, but the very nature of the show and franchise prevents those from reaching any real potential that would make for a realistic story.

2 Likes

ok.

i get that you all do not like the show.

but you may also understand why i personaly love it, its not because im one of the “fan boys who do not see or understand the bad parts”

its because of the following:

you guys find the bad stuff you see in the series to outway any good the series may have to offer.

i see the good parts and find them to outway the bad stuff that the series have (im not ignoring the bad of the show, there are moments that does not feel right for me ither).

i was mostly refering to the ego part of Spyro’s character in the first episode, he gets better over time.

I’m sorry, but I really don’t. In the entirety of this I don’t recall you actually mentioning what parts you specifically enjoyed. You’ve mentioned the good but haven’t really elaborated on it, something I’d be interested in hearing.

See, it works for me like a scale. If there is enough bad that I can’t enjoy the good, it’s a bad show for me. This is one of those cases. Believe me, it’s not because of my general disliking towards the franchise, either. I’ve despised shows from franchises I absolutely loved. I just genuinely think the bad of the show prevents me from enjoy it, or, in the very least, being able to stand it.

3 Likes

i like it because of the character moments, its the same reason for why i like Chima while seemingly everyone else here on the message boards can’t stand it.

for example, here is that moment from the final episode i mentiond for you:

[details=Summary]

Kaossandra: “My Book! Hand it to me.”

Golden Queen: “I think not. Doom Raiders, we are done here.”

Kaossandra: “Just what do you think you’re doing, Goldie?”

Golden Queen: “I’m taking your book and you cannot stop me.”

Kaossandra: “Well, don’t ever say you didn’t ask for it.”

Glumshanks: “Sir, get over here! Now!”

Kaos: “Glummy!”

Golden Queen: “Kaos, join us. Together, we will rule the realm, like you’ve always dreamed.”

Kaossandra: Kaos, come here! Do not disobey me!"

Golden Queen: “What has she ever done for you? Keep you from learning the true breadth of your power? Shun you from the day you were born?”

“Doom Raiders laughing.”

Golden Queen: “Turn you into the laughingstock of Skylands?”

Kaos: “Why, Mother? Why wouldn’t you teach me how to be as powerful as you?”

Kaossandra: “I have my reasons. Kaos. I do not need to justify them to you or anyone else. Now, or ever!”

Kaos: “But all i ever wanted was to be like you. I know i can be! I will be. Please, just show me the way.”

Kaossandra: “I… can’t. Son, you must trust me on this.”

Kaos: “Very well. I choose… them.”

Kaossandra: “Then you leave me no choice.”

here is the conversation that happends a few scenes later:

Kaos: “Mother! You can’t leave me behind.”

Kaossandra: “You made your choice. Now live with it. Never come home. You’re out. Forever.”[/details]

also, in the episode “Dream Girls” Stealth Elf is given the honor to do a SED talk for the academy, however she personaly feel that she do not deserve to do one of them.

though like i have said before, there are some parts of the show that im not ok with, the entire plot of episode 9, which just by the name alone would give you all a clue for why, “Beard Science”… i am not even kidding with that name.

and if you guys need a little more to understand, let me introduce to you all… Beard fu:

From the sounds of it, the final episode is really all you’re mentioning as being particularly important.

The other, more filler-filled episodes may contain limited character development, but based on your descriptions they devote 22 minutes to really only one topic of any importance, that sounds like it is quickly resolved.

1 Like

I’ll at least give credit for the pun no one watching the show would get.

I’ve seen that plot more times than I can remember, if that’s what you call a high point in the series it must be as bad as everyone else is saying.

1 Like