Slizers & Belt Loops

Rewatching Eljay’s reviews of the Slizers sets (and playing around with my own) reminded me of one of the many things I love about the theme; the portability.

The sets were designed to fold up and store in the containers, and the containers were designed with belt-loops; perhaps a bit presumptuous on Lego’s part, but they hoped that this easy and portable method of transportation would encourage shared play with kids taking their Slizers to battle one another like they would take a deck of Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

It didn’t really take off like they wanted, of course, but it’s an interesting thing to think about. If Slizers had been more successful, and lasted more than a single year, do you think that gimmick would have stayed, or even evolved further perhaps? Would you have seen kids actually using them that way? Maybe it’s pointless to get too caught up in thinking of what could have been, but it does make me wonder. And being the dork I am, I would definitely tote around Amazon like that if I thought there was half a chance of someone even recognizing it.

So basically, what does everyone else think of that? In a timeline where Slizers was more successful, how do you think it would or could have evolved past the twelve sets we actually got? And is there the possibility for people to meet up someday, Slizers on their belts, and do battle as Lego originally intended?

8 Likes

The belt loops were interesting, but even if the theme would have continued past 2000, I don’t think the belt loops gimmick would have lasted. Similar to how the canisters were very important in Bionicle’s early years, but they became less and less important as time went on.

3 Likes

I’d like to add on, the X-Pods from Creator had a Miniature war game, with each side building and deploying troops to win. Considering the small size of the pods, and the small stack of cards you needed, they were kinda angleing for a similar concept as the Slizers.

7 Likes

The gimmick probably wouldn’t have lasted forever, but admittedly, I’d totally carry them around, even if it is a gimmick. Maybe it’s just because I liked the canisters lol

3 Likes