Something to consider for G3 Makuta

Well, yes, their Antidermis would dissipate over time, but they don’t necessarily need outside aid to find a new body - they only need an empty one (for example Matoro’s body while he had used his Kanohi Iden, the Maxilos Robot that didn’t have a “soul” of its own, or the Great Spirit Robot in the short time Mata Nui was dead - I figure a Makuta could also inhabit a Rahkshi armor if one is nearby)
I’m still wondering how Teridax was able to cross such vast distances without a body (Mangaia ->Voya Nui, Voya Nui → Mahri Nui, Mahri nui → Metru Nui), though… because honestly, with a Makuta being able to travel such distances while in gaseous form it gets kinda weird that some Makuta actually died from not finding a new body in time.

Also there’s that alternate Universe where Matoro didn’t use the Ignika in time and Mata Nui died for real. There Teridax somehow managed to take over Icarax’s body.

Yeah, that’s the big question. In the end we probably can’t say if Tren Krom or the Makuta are more powerful from what we know in detail.

I personally see this as referring to the past - Tren Krom pretty much was the Great Spirit back then and as such could control everything in the Great Spirit Robot - like Mata Nui could and eventually Teridax could.

To get back to the topic again - Actually I liked that the G1 Makuta were a whole Brotherhood and not just one individual. Sure, most of the time it was only Teridax who mattered, but I think it would be nice to have not one evil overlord as the main villain, but a whole group of similarly powerful individuals that act as the bad guys.

3 Likes

I have mixed feelings on this point. On the one hand, I love the Brotherhood as this sort of cabal that served Makuta in his goal of universal conquest (Yes I know they did other things, but by the time they actually were relevant in canon that’s all they were). On the other hand, I feel like making it a species was, while not a mistake, definitely a dangerous move. This is because up tilll that point the name Makuta had always been associated with the individual, and as such the advent of the Makuta as a species caused much confusion within the fan base, particularly in the younger audience which the line was directed at. I feel that perhaps a G3 version of the Brotherhood might be better structured like the Darkhunters, where it is a hodgepodge of different races, rather than making it a race unto itself. The differece being that instead of being a bunch of mercineries they’d be more like the “cult of Makuta” that has been discussed on the podcast to this point. That is also not to say that I want to combine the Darkhunters with the Brotherhood, the Darkhunters were perfect In my eyes and should remain unchanged.

Also, as a sidenote, since this topic is about G3 it should probably be moved to the new Brickonicle category.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t really say this should go instantly to Brickonicle JUST because it’s G3, Personally I’d rather have Constraction figures not System minifigs (just to be clear I wouldn’t rage quit or anything if they were system though). Honestly I think G3 could be successful as a Constraction line if LEGO paid attention to it and marketed it and gave the resources it needed to be successful, with that said I find it more likely LEGO wouldn’t do that unless the viability of System sets started declining.So I do find it more likely that if we ever get a G3 it will be System BUUUUUT I’m not saying we can exclude a constraction-only line were it to return.

2 Likes

Due note: I’ve given a lot of thought to Makuta since the beginning of the podcast’s pitch. Really, there’s a lot of stuff when it comes to the world, villages, Makuta and the rest that I’ve though about, but we just haven’t gotten to yet.

Part of me wishes I could go into how we’re solving all of the problems you listed, but I don’t want to spoil the podcast.

1 Like

Okay, giant Ghiddy’s Opinion post coming up, run while you can…

This is more a post about the relation between whichever good major figure you choose, be it Mata Nui, Ekimu, or somebody knew, Makuta himself, and a couple of the Toa, although I will be covering my opinion of Makuta and what he should be like.

Makuta, as portrayed in MNOG 1, was the epitome of who Makuta actually was, in my opinion. Incredibly manipulative, unfathomably powerful, maliciously evil, and unbelievably misled. Most importantly, our first look at Makuta started out as a small, scrawny Tohunga, which was a genius move on LEGO’s part, because it didn’t make us feel underwhelmed at all, but only intrigued as to who or what Makuta actually was or could be.

Secondly, another very important piece of character we received was that Makuta was, at first appearance and potentially the original idea, stronger than Mata Nui. You can’t be weaker and more pathetic than the person you defeat, either mentally or physically. And considering Makuta thrust Mata Nui into a near-permanent state of unconsciousness, he had to have some great advantage. Even to the very end Mata Nui was at a disadvantage, as Makuta always had a counter or a shield to hide behind and cut through whatever Mata Nui or his was doing.

One more thing to consider about Makuta is his actual allegiance. In G1, we found out late that Mata Nui was mostly apathetic to whatever was going on inside him, save for a very few occasions where he tried to do something minor just to throw a tiny wrench in Makuta’s plans. I noticed TTV seems to have the opinion that Makuta was a neutral-good character all along, and I have no doubt it will be reflected in their G3, but it should be done carefully without making Makuta look like a stereotype.

Now heading back to G1, we can see the Toa’s interactions with Makuta in very different scenarios. Kopaka instantly saw through Makuta’s ploy as a Tohunga, while the rest were left baffled by his power play. I don’t recall correctly, but I believe there was some small blurb somewhere about Onua being more connected to Makuta than the other Toa or anyone else, and even if this isn’t exactly reflected with Onua it should be something kept in mind nonetheless. Another thing to consider is the unusual significance to Gali at random times, not specifically Makuta but other characters and circumstances. That may have been because she was the only female Toa in the original group, or because the theme was winding down and needed to play a few wild cards.

And finally, we have what Makuta actually is. We got to see him become a monstrous-looking being in gunmetal armour, then he became a… Species… And then a dust cloud… And then a 40,000’ robot. Clearly the department of consistency wasn’t put on the Makuta project. However, it did keep us guessing even though it also made us throw up a little in our mouths at the ridiculous changes. So if you’re going to portray Makuta at all, he can never be a predictable character, even in his existence.

To sum up: He’s the bad guy but he’s not your everyday bad guy by any means, so keep him enigmatic.

can i just say that the entire storyline would be cooler if ekimu was the good guy, and his mask was actually a mask of deception?
like, makuta, who grew up with ekimu, knows this and is trying to stop ekimu and save the memory-less toa from ekimu’s lies, while ekimu weaves tales and stories, portraying makuta as an ancient evil?
because bionicle isn’t confusing enough.

Frankly, G2 in fact isn’t complex enough.

1 Like

What would a interesting idea to go along with is making Makuta’s motivations more like Heath Ledger’s Joker
“some men aren’t looking for anything logical, like money. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

Almost like Makuta taking over Artakha just for the sake of it.
My opinion