Sonic the hedgehog (film) - 2019

Well Boom definitely is, that’s a whole different sphere. And don’t forget, the cartoon had a pretty rocky start with that supremely weak and unfunny first season. Kind of put me off it, to be honest. Even if it’s improved now, I could never really be bothered to get back into it.

The Twitter thing is basically just taking after the idea of the Wendy’s Twitter and similar things. It’s alright, but it’s ultimately fairly surface level.

And really, trying to understand what the fans want is pretty much impossible for them at this point. They pretty much rely on this blue bugger for income, so they need to keep the flow going, and the fanbase is so divided and toxic at this point that they can barely figure it out.

Some people want Adventure 3 or something like it, others just want it to be like the Classic games and nothing else, and others still couldn’t care less as long as it’s fun to play. They’ve cycled through so many ideas and gimmicks and quirks that they have all kinds of people jumping on with different takes on his entire games library. Appealing to even a majority is asking the Earth.

Heck, they tried that even with giving a character creator (basically OC maker) in Forces. They also had Shadow back, the story was trying and failing to give a underdog saving the world story in the spirit of the 90s cartoon - they were just pulling themselves in too many directions and didn’t put enough effort into any of those areas to do it.

I had to right the wrongs of this timeline.

Sonic shouldn’t look like a real creature in the first place, I don’t know what the film makers were thinking, but if they have to make him look like a real creature…this is at least better than what they came up with.

Low-key, I do like the shoe design in the other poster. The ring on the shoelace as a call-back to the original gold buckle, that’s actually pretty clever… just not the man legs.

1 Like

This one hundred percent.

I’m half-and-half about the shoes, really. They’re okay, though the man legs definitely bring down my view of them because the shoes looking so realisticc just amplifies the man legs and make them look even weirder so idk :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Apparently we’ve got a new one coming in, not sure if this is legit or not but it appears to be:

Given the awful teaser images, this is definitely not as bad as expected, but still kinda bad. The proportions are wack though :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I really hope that’s not Tom cruise.

This one looks much MUCH better. And a bit cute tbh.

2 Likes

Well this is infinitely better than scary primate Sonic.

1 Like

Yeah, I really hope whoever was in charge of okaying those first two teasers has been fired now :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Phew, this is better

Looking into this, I found out that Chris Pratt and Tom Holland (who would voice Sonic) were considered for the movie before the went with James Marsden and Ben Schwartz, so this looks like it was from an earlier point in the movie’s development.

If this is his look for the movie, I’m much more onboard.

1 Like

Pratt and Holland, very in with Disney at the moment :stuck_out_tongue:

I can see why that was probably dropped as an idea.

Would’ve certainly been interesting though :stuck_out_tongue:

So I’ve been doing some reading, and tell me if anybody has seen this yet, but in interviews with Paramount executives, they had this to say about what the movie will be like:

He’s a juvenile delinquent on the adventures in a pretty straight rural environment with a local policeman. It was instantly engaging and it was good enough where you could see where it’s going.

What we’re trying to do with Sonic is make a movie about a small-town police officer and Sonic at a time when they are both desperately in need of a friend, and we hope that this theme is friendship is what gives the film its heart and makes it prosper.

So it’s a buddy cop film and Sonic is a delinquent. Of course they miss the point, naturally.

2 Likes

Nope, haven’t seen this.

I used to really have my ear to the ground with this thing when I was a younger, more passionate fan of ze SANIC, but all this stuff I didn’t know clearly shows that it’s slipping :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t wait to see where Eggman and Tails fit into this! If they’re in it at all

Eggman is, Tails isn’t, insofar as I know. Baldy McNosehair is being played by Jim Carrey, of all people.

You know who’d play an amazing Eggman? Tim Curry.

1 Like

I didn’t know I wanted this until now.

6 Likes

He definitely looks a lot more like Eggman than Jim Carrey.

1 Like

Carrey forever.

1 Like

SONIC FANDOM SURVIVAL LOG: DAY 267:

I’ve been set adrift in the void ever since…that day. The Paramount Event sent a large number of us reeling off the hype train. I’ve had a few glimpses of civilization since then, but I haven’t been able to signal for help yet. Just for the record, being adrift in space with zero promise of rescue is more fun than it sounds. Food and water ran out four days ago…oxygen will run out tomorrow morning. And that’ll be it.

But being out here, alone, has given me time to think, to collect myself. I’ve had time to reflect on what happened…there’s many ways this could have gone. Fourteen million six-hundred and five, to be exact. But there’s still reason to not give up…I just have to hope.

Silly bits aside, I’ve had some time to get used to the design. Having had some time to sit with it for a bit, things aren’t as bad as they might have once seemed, if you put your mind in the right place, without all the anger.

Yes, they definitely, definitely made some really bad decisions with this movie, and we still have the right to be disappointed or upset or angry, but really, we haven’t seen the half of it yet. There’s still a year left for the filmmakers to possibly change things based on fan reaction (which we should all hope they will), and even so, we haven’t seen a lot of what’s to come. That could be a good thing, or likely a very bad thing, but a thing we can’t fully judge yet nonetheless.

For the time being, I still retain that the design we’ve seen, from what we can tell of the silhouette, is not a good adaptation of the source material for the most part (I’ve already said I kind of like the shoes anyways, and the quills and fur I expected and don’t mind). But the important part, the face, has yet to be seen, and many fans have brought up that the Pratt Poster could indicate the direction they’re aiming for, and if the final model is similar to that one, I, personally, can tolerate it.

I’ve also had my mind opened a little bit by a YouTuber named SquigglyDigg. I recommend checking out her Twitter, she’s done some interest explorations into how Sonic might look in the movie, and if she’s right, it’s not as bad as we’re making it out to be.
https://twitter.com/squigglydigg?lang=en

It’s not really Sonic, heck, I don’t even like this style, but I can tolerate it enough to keep looking into this movie.

######Just give him the socks and gloves, Paramount, I can’t take the monkey hands…

4 Likes

Yeah, that poster definitely gave me a tiny bit of faith in the potential of the final design.

It’s not great by any means, but it’s far from terrible.

1 Like