Sonic the hedgehog (film) - 2019

Despicable Me was a fine movie, it was nothing amazing, but it had some heart and some charm. Hop is something everyone forgot about for a good reason. They also made the Lorax, which was awful, and jammed a bunch of useless junk in to pad out a children’s picture book into a feature length film. Despicable Me 2 was forgettable and unfunny, and Minions was even worse. Then there was the Secret Life of Pets AKA Toy Story with animals, and… Sing. An emotionally pandering waste of a film full of obnoxiously dated references, and a lack of any creative use of their animal designs whatsoever. Despicable Me 3 I saw a trailer for, and never plan on seeing ever because it looks god-awful, and they also did a Grinch remake which as you can imagine, I don’t plan on seeing.
They don’t have a good track record whatsoever. It’s become quite clear over time from their reused assets and other corner-cutting measures that all they care about is making as much money while spending as little money, effort, and time as is feasibly possible.

1 Like

Alpha and omega?

Can this not

3 Likes

Oh, no.
I’ll have to watch this, I guess.

It’s bad

but it’s also weird

I’m not sure it’s so bad it’s good but

it’s

well I can’t describe it

1 Like

Jim Carrey will literallybe the only good part.

4 Likes

Jim Carrey playing Dr. Ivo Robotnik/Eggman…this is gonna be very interesting.

I just recently saw the trailer and I’m feeling pretty confident that this is gonna be a fun movie.

3 Likes

Outside of the terrible looking CGI, the horrible sonic design, and the fact that this is not Eggman!… It doesn’t look too bad. But it also doesn’t show even a fraction of the promise as Detective Pikachu.

1 Like

Let’s keep in mind that this is only the first trailer; a trailer doesn’t define a full film.

1 Like

But at the same time, look at other first trailers. King of Monsters, Endgame, Detective Pikachu. All films coming out around this same time. And each one of them with a first trailer that held a lot of promise. The first trailer is the first impression. The most important mark to leave on a potential audience. And they failed that first impression.

1 Like

For you, yes; but I felt it was a good first impression.

Everyone’s different and will form their own opinions of this trailer. Remember how the LA Aladdin trailer was initially poorly received and now people are saying they’re looking forward to the movie’s release?

1 Like

Fair enough.

My biggest problem with this is Robotnic. Because that isn’t Robotnic. I just don’t think Jim Carry is a good fit.

1 Like

Well, considering how freakishly fat the two characters usually are depicted to be (Robotnik being, basically, a beach ball mixed with a human and Eggman being thin legs and arms for days on an egg with a head that has a nose that would make Hacker’s chin jealous), it would be difficult to make a reasonably accurate live action version.

Jim Carrey may not be Eggman/Robotnik in the traditional sense but he’ll certainly be a riot to watch.

1 Like

The probablem is that he doesn’t sound or act like an Eggman should. Even in the Boom cartoon where he had the shape of a body builder he was still a great Eggman.

But on the other hand…

It does appear I was mistaken. Alright movie, well played. Let’s see where this goes from here.

5 Likes

mushroom hill zone

2 Likes

I think your problem is their personality. We’ve only seen a little of Robotnik/Eggman in that trailer and that’s more for the purpose of saying “Here’s our villain character and who’s playing him.” Than “here’s everything you know and love about Eggman/Robotnik.”

1 Like

This might be a first meeting, so unless it’s always been an Ahab situation, they seem unfamiliar with each other this go around

1 Like

I doubt it was intentional, but if you pause at just the right moment amongst the “glitching”:

Now he looks like a real egghead

~W12~

7 Likes

Although I must say this: from this trailer I really am not sure who will be the main character. I mean of course, Sonic’s name is in the title, but we got more scenes and more informations for Eggman than we got for the actual hedgehog.

1 Like