Spider-Man: Far From Home (SPOILERS)

DO NOT WATCH THIS TRAILER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN AVENGERS: ENDGAME!

(Listen to Tom Holland…you don’t want spoilers)

Did not expect this trailer to make me tear up two seconds in…

4 Likes

Oh my god!!! Hype!!!

So great!

That last scene with Flash is literally me.

1 Like

Just watched the trailer, and I have some theories on what this movie will ultimately be about.

Spoilers for Endgame and possible spoilers for Far From Home ahead:

[spoiler]It’s clear to me that Far From Home is not only meant to be about Peter continuing to grow into his role as an independent superhero, but that this movie is also going to explore what that means for a world that no longer has Tony Stark.
This trailer seems to be laying out a lot of the road map for how this movie is going to go.

We start with Peter just after the events of Endgame, doing his best to keep New York safe, but he’s struggling with the loss of his mentor and father figure, Tony. It’s likely we’ll be seeing the world’s reaction to the death of Iron Man as well, and I have no doubt this movie also serves as a bit of a meta-commentary on that very same event.

Anyways, likely exhausted after the fight for the universe and likely feeling unworthy seeing Tony’s face everywhere, Peter decides to take a break, catch up with everyone he hasn’t seen in five years, and most importantly stop being Spider-Man, at least for a little while.

Now, we get to the villain of this story: Mysterio. Quentin Beck has traditionally been in the comics as a vengeful and spiteful movie effects engineer who uses his technological trickery to get what he wants. In his first appearance in the comics, he framed Spider-Man for various crimes and attempted to get rich and famous by posing as a new hero who came to take Spider-Man down. Given what we likely have in this film of the world looking for a new Iron Man, my theory for the main conflict of the movie is this:

Beck wants to capitalize on his mastery of technology and the world’s loss of Iron Man, so he orchestrates a number of attacks using his special Elemental “creatures.” He poses as a real superhero from an alternate reality caused by the Snap and attempts to set himself up as a new Iron Man.

Nick Fury (who I have a sneaking suspicion might know Beck is a fraud), calls in Peter, likely because he trusts him as Tony’s successor. Through whatever means, Peter will eventually realize Beck is attempting to take over Iron Man’s legacy, and Peter will have to find the courage to step up, stop Beck’s plans, and take his place as an independent superhero and “the next Iron Man” in a figurative sense.

Really, it’s looking to me like this movie might be fairly predictable, but by no means a bad film. It’s the next step, it seems, into turning Spider-Man into his own thing, not only paying homage to Iron Man and his legacy, but passing the torch on to Peter.

For anyone who didn’t care for “Iron Man Jr.”, this is definitely looking like a step in the right direction for you. If you miss Tony, this might be a good send-off for his legacy and might help give some closure.[/spoiler]

Overall looking forward to it, really excited particularly to see Mysterio in all his fishbowl glory on the big screen!

3 Likes

[spoiler]Two things I personally theorize and would like to happen:

-Spider-Man does not become “the next Iron Man.” He remains as his own individual, maybe discovering it through the movie.

-Nick Fury could very well be Chameleon. He’s rumored to be in the movie, but we’ve seen nothing of him so far. It’d be cool too, if Peter was right to avoid Fury’s calls, and Fury chooses him because he thinks he’s naive and gullible.[/spoiler]

1 Like

There is a theory in which Fury is MJ’s father. I want this so much!
Remember this scene:

I need to see a PG version of this.
Edit: Off… Link isn’t working in blurred text.

He was very cryptic in Winter Soldier and Captain Marvel about having a family…

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--sfludMaB--/c_fill,fl_progressive,g_center,h_900,q_80,w_1600/uxjltrse3xwajvkxtiv9.png

Me when I just realized that Peter has lost two father-figures (Uncle Ben and now Tony) in a matter of years. :cry:

4 Likes

[spoiler] Let me clarify, “the next Iron Man” is purely metaphorical, not literal. This movie seems very much about Peter coming into his own, and when they say “the next Iron Man” they really mean the next big superhero everyone looks up to. The world knew Iron Man first, and they loved him. Now it’s Peter’s responsibility to carry on the good work Tony started as Spider-Man, and he has to (and will) do it on his own.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the red and black suit we see in this film was either made or modified by Peter himself. There’s even a scene in the trailer of Happy catching him designing his own web shooters using Stark tech. Peter doesn’t have Tony to build him things anymore, he’s doing all of this from his own genius. That’s definitely the Spider-Man I know. [/spoiler]

2 Likes

Personaly, I hope MJ dies.
If not in this movie, in the next one.
I just can’t stop shipping Peter and Silk. I don’t know… MJ became a sexy-girl stereotype, Gwen is the regular smart girl, and… Uhm… There was also that third girl from the Spectacular Spider-Man that was Peter’s girlfriend waaaaay back in the 60s but honestly who cares for her?
But Silk? She is actually cool. She is actually interesting. I would love to see her on the big screen. This coming from a guy who barely read comics with her before.

Here’s the thing with Silk though:

I preface this by saying I agree with you and would want to see a Silk film at some point, but there’s a few good reasons why she shouldn’t replace Michelle in the MCU.

1. Peter and Cindy Moon haven’t been a thing in the comics for a good while, and she isn’t nearly as recognizable as a name like MJ or Gwen, or even Liz.
  2. Peter and Silk’s relationship was very…NSFW. That would not be appropriate for the MCU.
  3. Silk can be interesting on her own. She definitely doesn’t need to play second fiddle to Peter as “Spider-Man’s girlfriend, but with powers.”

If they are going to do a Silk movie, I would prefer it to be a solo animated film much like Spider-Verse. It’s rumored she might even make an appearance in that universe as well, which I would love. A lot of the appeal, at least for me, to her and her comics is definitely the art style, and that would translate much better to Sony’s animations than to the MCU, where she might not have much going on for her other than she has powers.

Along with that, I don’t think it’s the right call to introduce other Spider-powered people into the MCU. The MCU Spider-Man films have been heavily focused on a Lee/Ditko feeling, back when there wasn’t a Spider-Verse and Peter himself was the focus. Don’t get me wrong, I love having a ton of different Spider-People, but for the purposes of the MCU, Peter needs to be his own thing. He doesn’t need Miles or Silk or Spider-Gwen or any of that mucking around with him and the story the film makers are trying to tell.

OK, first off, I am new into this character, zo I am not really understanding what you want to say by point one.
By point two, their relation can be easily turned into PG.
By point three… Yeah I kinda agree.
I don’t think Silk would work as a Spider-Verse only character. I mean yeah, it is a good way to introduce her to the main public, but don’t you think a naked girl with clothes made out of web would be too much for the kids?
Also, we are slowly making steps towards “double heroes”. We have kind of a second Iron Man in Pepper, a second Captain America, and I think Valkery (?) Is the new Thor. I am not saying that we need a Silk now, I am just saying that she should be one of the first choices after Disney milks the lasty penny from Spider-Man stand-alones. I mean… By the time she is introduced in the comics hemis already and adult, hence the more… R romance.

Peter has had a lot of girlfriends throughout his comic runs, Silk (Cindy Moon) was just a recent one. The issue with using her as a replacement for Michelle or any other girlfriend role is that she isn’t nearly as popular or recognizable as MJ or Gwen Stacy, or any other character that has been Peter’s girlfriend in the past.

That’s what Silk looks like currently. :laughing:

To me this art style screams “Put me in an animated movie.”

But I’m glad you agree with me on that she would probably be better off solo.

I understand what you’re trying to say, but the examples you used don’t really help your point. We most likely won’t be seeing Pepper be Rescue again, so there isn’t an Iron Man type character in the MCU anymore, Sam is the new Captain America, and the only one currently since Steve isn’t Cap anymore, and Valkyrie is just the leader of New Asgard, Thor is still Thor.

The point I’m trying to make is that we haven’t seen anything in the MCU akin to what Marvel has done recently in the comics where there literally are double heroes, like the Bruce Banner and Amadeus Cho Hulks coexisting or Miles and Peter both being Spider-Man, and frankly I’d like the MCU to stay that way. Having two people bear the same mantle can work okay in a comic, but for a cinematic universe it doesn’t help with brand consistency or clarity.

Perhaps, it’s a very very future option, but if I were Marvel I would rather opt for Miles to replace Peter rather than Silk. He has much greater popularity, an arguably better motivation and story, and has already been teased in Homecoming. While still an option, Silk is an unlikely one at best for the MCU.

1 Like

I mean, I know kf her regular suit. I didn’t knew which one she wore the most.
I am just getting started with Spider-Verse.
I was on the same side as you when it came of double heroes for most of my Marvel-fan life. I am still like this. This is the reason I hate the Bat-family, there are just too many of them.
However, after a while double heroes will appear. The best choice would be to kill off the original, but in SM’s case, I think the two can coexist.

Plus the movie industry would never get rid of a feminist character

/s

3 Likes

Besides, Silk is getting a movie, but she’s owned by Sony, and it most likely will tie into Venom if I had a guess.

I dunno, I think it would be interesting to give Michelle a Gwen Stacey type role, but honestly the character doesn’t interest me outside of humor.

Ditto, but I think they’re looking to develop her more in the next movie

1 Like

The trailer(s, are there more than one?) look fantastic…

I’m already hyped up about Mysterio… as a good guy. From the very small amount of what I’ve seen in the comics, he’s usually… not so good.
Also, what’s the whole thing with Silk?
I didn’t see anything about her in the trailer…

[spoiler]I’m still betting Mysterio’s secretly a villain, like his first comic book counterpart.

Yeah, Silk has nothing to do with anything. She’s 100% owned by Sony, anyways.[/spoiler]

4 Likes

Oh, okay.

I can’t wait to get the Marvel Legends Mysterio.

1 Like