Spider-Man in the MCU

I’m sure they will. Heck, they took the fairly-unknown Iron Man and made him popular. They took Thor and made him interesting. Heck, they took GUARDIANS of the GALAXY and made them cool. I’m sure they could do the same with Spider-Man.

4 Likes

He was actually still fairly well regarded as a character before the movies. Sure they spiked his popularity tenfold, but Tony Stark was always a cool dude. (Minus that one little civil war)

lol
okay

THEY WERE ALREADY COOL!
Whatchu tryin’ say?

Okay, yeah, I can see Disney definitely making Spider-Man cool, but I doubt he’d be the same character. I dunno, but I feel like, in order to make Peter Parker/Spidey really appeal to the same audiences who are mostly there because hot guys take their shirts off and Black Widow wears tight clothing, they need to change something about him.
So I wouldn’t want them to make him cool. Instead I’d want them to make him as human as they can. Mostly because Spidey’s this in-between character. He hangs with everyone, and fights everyone’s bad guys, including his own. He kinda ties everyone together in the Marvel Universe (Same with Wolverine). I think Disney should work with that, and not change the character.

1 Like

Tell me 10 random people who knew about the Guardians of the Galaxy before the film. Only extreme Marvel fans would know/

That’s what I’m trying to say, and what Marvel said they plan on doing. He’s gonna be a young guy who is learning lessons as he grows up as a super-hero.

2 Likes

I would, but A) You wouldn’t know who they were, and B)

This applies to them XD

It was in jest though, I know it was a niche comic.

That’s not really enough to win my confidence. That still leave a lot of open ends for the character itself. Sure he’s trying to learn the ropes, but is he a geeky, nerdy, awkward and not super fantasically buff person who gets along well with the other super heroes? Is he smart and quick-witted? Does he make the audience groan with his awesomely terrible puns? Is he Spider-Man???

I have high standards. I know. But Spidey is my favorite, and I will always uphold anyone who works with his character, even myself, to those standards.

1 Like

I’m sure Marvel will do a good job with him. They got it right with Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and other heroes. I’m sure they’ll be fine.

They’ll do great, I’m sure. Tom Holland has already shown some proficiency at acrobatics, so that’s a plus.
Added note, the scripting call said that he couldn’t be a drug dealer, so that’s a backstory I want to hear.

3 Likes

Guess what? This topic is basically outdated now.

Man, I’m so angry…

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/spider-man-movies-will-no-longer-involve-mcu-boss-/1100-6469265/

That headline is misleading. It looks like its too early at this point for anything to be certain.

Honestly, if Spidey does leave the MCU, I’ll be sad (because Far From Home set up some brilliant and never-before-seen-onscreen stuff), but I’ve kinda gotten tired of Holland’s Spider-Man completely dominating the cultural conversation. Bring on more love for Spidey PS4 and the animated Spider-Verse! (I have yet to see Venom)

2 Likes

I don’t fully understand the role of a film producer (what Feige is), but I assume that both Sony and Disney are acting over money involved. Sony has enjoyed great financial success of Tom Holland’s films, Hardy’s Venom, and Into the Spider-Verse, some shared with Disney and some not. As I understand, this stuff is typical of a rights dispute, and the report you cited does not definitively point to any result (i.e. Spider-Man leaving the MCU).

These stories may do something to clear up or add to this report, or they may not. Seeking multiple sources is the key to good research, and helps you rationalize misleading or click-bait news.

1 Like

This debate frustrates me to no end. On the one hand, I find Sony’s decision to walk away from the deal on Spider-Man hilariously short-sighted and, plainly, stupid. It’s obvious that they don’t understand the ripple effect this will have on the franchise. They believe that the success of Venom and Into the Spiderverse prove that they can make money off of Spider-Man without the MCU, but the plain fact of the matter is that no Sony Spider-Man movie–regardless of whether or not Tom Holland stars in it–has the draw to pull in MCU fans, to the point where they’ll have another $1 billion run in theaters. Additionally, the forced separation between these new films and the MCU films will no doubt confuse the casual audience, and Sony’s poor track record with live-action Spider-Man films is yet again against them.

On the other hand, this fiasco sheds light on the other major problem with superhero franchises today–the monopoly gradually being formed by Disney. Make no mistake, while Sony is at fault for this potential development, Disney is equally responsible. They have made a practice out of greedily consuming every IP they can get their hands on, and while I do believe that they intended to negotiate with Sony on this, their proposal for the new deal was absurdly greedy, and made in rather bad faith.

My biggest issue with this debate, though, is the person many people are forgetting in all of this–Tom Holland. Perhaps I’m overreacting here, because it’s hard to see a young man who is the same age as me go through this, especially since I admire him so much, but this development really highlights the absolutely cruel way in which many actors are treated by squabbling, greedy film studios. It is deeply distressing to me to watch Tom Holland have to endure his lifelong dream of playing Spider-Man hang in the balance, alongside the future of his promising career. It’s a big reminder to all of us that even someone who is universally beloved can have their entire livelihood ripped apart by the greed of others. I hope this issue is resolved with a new deal for his sake, and his alone.

Do I think a deal will be made? I don’t know; it seems likely that this isn’t the last we’ll hear of this story. James Gunn’s firing and re-hiring was a far less important issue that the fans recently had a hand in correcting, so hopefully the immense public outcry will help Disney and Sony get their heads on straight and allow them to fix this. If they don’t, well…I hate to say it, but this may prove to be the beginning of the end for the MCU, and superhero films in general. As popularity grows, fights over money will become far more prevalent, and I cannot help but see that as a bad omen for things to come.

3 Likes