Standardized tests

Hey, another Texan! Staar sucks, especially since I finsih in 30 minutes, and have 3 and a half hours to do nothing.

2 Likes

Staar? They canā€™t even spell it right.
/s

2 Likes

Itā€™s an abbreviation for State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness. Thereā€™s so many parodies of Star Wars because of this.

1 Like

Im going to ask again, maybe this time someone will actually tell me, what a standardized test?

1 Like

A test the government forces you to take.

2 Likes

To see how smrt you are
But it doesnt affect your grade
Itā€™s kinda dumb

3 Likes

Standardized tests are state government funded tests (often multiple choice) that are adminstered to all students at a certain grade level to gauge the academic progress of each individual student. In theory, the tests are ā€œstandardizedā€ so that all students are measured on the same material, instead of simply on their actual school transcripts, since class curriculum varies from class to class, school to school, and district to district. The state government assumes the schools and districts with the highest test results are the most effective and alots more of the educational budget to these schools. Hoping to motivate the lower-scoring students to raise their test results, many school districts include passing the tests as a graduation reqirement.

4 Likes

That seems counter productive. You give a failing school district less money to use, thus allowing them to fail more? Seems like a vicious cycle.

5 Likes

Have you ever heard the parable of the fish?

ā€œGive a man a fish heā€™ll eat for a night, Teach him how to fish and heā€™ll eat for a lifetimeā€.

This is pretty similar.

If you just throw money at a school it doesnā€™t guarantee success. You have to actually go there a make an effort to change it.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a ridiculous system. A psycometrician who interprets results for these tests spoke for my math class a few weeks ago. She explained that they pour over the results for months to determine if a question was fair, but she also admitted that she was trying to ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  focus from just the tests to looking at more factors that facilitate and inhibit a studentā€™s learning.

Are we getting too political?

1 Like

we have STAAR on monday and tuesday. I usually finish in 2.5 ish hours and draw for another 1.5.

kill me

/s

3 Likes

That is better for you because you have more time to learn and perfect lessons, our teachers rush our lessons. (At least mineā€¦)

1 Like

You know well.

[spoiler]

We must journey to retake the s[/spoiler]tates that use common core!

7 Likes

I had the Texas STAAR math test today

1 Like

Did you win/finish it alive?

2 Likes

In the first 30 minutes I finished. Then boredom killed me over the next 4 hours while witing for lunch. I barely survived.

3 Likes

same

I finished an entire book in the free time after it

this years 7th grade math STAAR seemed easier than the 6th grade one

4 Likes

Ikr, everyone agreed that it was way easier. I personally didnā€™t show any work except for one problem. But then thereā€™s that one person who spends the entire time one the test.

3 Likes