Star Wars Clone Wars VS Star Wars Rebels

Which part?
Haven’t watched it in a while.

The problem with Anakin Skywalker as a character (ignoring Vader for a moment) is that there are two polarizing portrayals of the character. One was the whinny kid that Hayden played in II and III. That whiny kid is who I believe George wanted him to be, and the fans just didn’t want that. Then you get Matt’s version, the awesome, cool guy with the occasional unfortunate temper tantrum. Honestly, I prefer Matt, as that is the character we all kinda envisioned him to be, and many people share this opinion. The problem is how do we look at Hayden’s comparatively? It’s easy to say ‘aw man, Hayden’s Anakin sucked and the prequels suck right along with him’, but I feel that’s unfair. The character Hayden portrays is the same character Matt plays, but just on very his bad days. The loss of his mother, the thought of losing his wife, these cause him to delve into emotions that as a Jedi, he’s not supposed to. He only goes there when his loved ones are in danger. Anakin even did this in Season 2 of Clone Wars. He outright tortured Poggle the Lesser to find out how to save Ahsoka and Barris from the brain worms (in hindsight, Barris could’ve died there and everyone would’ve been spaired some pain later on :joy:). Besides those few moments throughout Clone Wars, Anakin is usually a really nice, fun person, someone a lot of people don’t usually see. The beginning of Episode III to me actually kinda feels like the final episode of Clone Wars, 'cause Anakin is smiling and bantering back and forth with Obi-Wan. Would I have these opinions had Clone Wars existed? Probably not, but it still bugs me that people don’t like Anakin. Now, it might be because they haven’t seen Clone Wars, but it’s something that bugs me a tad. Sorry for my rant. :joy:

3 Likes

The part where the rebels attack an Imperial Parade, which, was generally a peaceful demonstration.

1 Like

Ah. I guess that was a bit…
Bad.

Well, I mean…they didn’t hurt anybody, nor did they intend to. The intent was only to destroy the Inquisitor’s new TIE Fighter. It was a moment of opportunity, and those are very few and far between…

2 Likes

But even at that, it too closely resembled an act of terrorism that would be plausible in real life.
Maybe we should get away from this discussion…

2 Likes

I can understand that viewpoint, and your hesitance to accept what they did, so that’s fine…

Bringing the discussion back around, then, I mostly agree with @LurkingEhlek’s statements about the divide between TCW and Rebels, although I think Rebels may be moving towards a more solid arc for next season. There’s certainly a lot of potential for a more tightly-knit story to develop, with Maul running around being bad, Ezra trying to resist the Dark Side, and Kanan trying to move forward with his blindness. Each of these could open up doors for extended arcs in the next season. I also wouldn’t be averse to bringing Ahsoka back, as I’m pretty sure she’s not dead. However, I don’t want her to be reunited with the Rebels just yet. I think she deserves some solo episodes. One suggestion I enjoyed was given by a group of people on Youtube, who offered up the idea of her story in Season 3 being focused on studying the Sith and trying to find a way to beat them, possibly even going to Tatooine to find Obi-Wan and ask him for advice. That could be really cool. Also, Rex learning that Vader is Anakin is a must, despite how sad it will be.

3 Likes

inb4 Ahsoka is in Rogue One :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That would be awesome! She deserves a live-action appearance!

1 Like

Rebels is a good show, but my biggest grip with it is the animation, it is alike with the clone wars, but it just doesn’t look the best, I especially hate the laser design and the light saber thinness, I feel that that’s just a reference to the original trilogy. It’s not a big deal but it just could be better, another reason why I dislike the animation is some of the character modeling is ugly and creepy, (that Yoda looked awful compared to the clone wars) but it’s only been going for two or three seasons so it might get better, and there have been some really cool moments, like when the AT-AT try and terminate the clones and friends in their AT-TE. it has a lot of potential and good moments, but there is always room for improvement.

Clone Wars is 300x better. I guess that’s what happens when the other show’s two main characters are your least favorite, and you end up getting tired of everyone. My favorite episode of Rebels was literally the one where they intentionally modeled it after Clone Wars.

1 Like

Rebels was ok, but tbh I don’t like the idea of like force creatures (like bendu) and stuff. All the teleporting and Loth-wolf stuff was super weird too. There are episodes I enjoy, though (the space parts of the Chopper base attack were neat, and the first part of Siege of lothal)

2 Likes

The force creatures were actually the part of Rebels I found most interesting. To each their own, though.

2 Likes

I like Bendu, but I can’t stand the Loth-Wolves. I think wolves are pretty overused by themselves, but the Loth-Wolves were just annoying. The only part I loved with them is the “Wolfpack” quote from Gregor.

1 Like

Your words from 3 years ago have come back to haunt you at last!

Did you try watching from the beginning? That turns a lot of people off (You’ve probably seen me and others say this elsewhere, but rip)

Anyway, I like Clone Wars a good bit, but I dropped Rebels after season 2. Rebels usually had really good season intros and finales, but most of the stuff in-between were standalone 22-minute episodes, instead of the 2-to-4 episode arcs Clone Wars typically used. It’s much harder to tell a complex, moving story and make you care about it in 22 minutes than it is in 44 to 88 minutes, and accordingly I found most of Rebels episodes to be…lacking in substance. There were good parts, but it was a slog to get to them.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried watching it from the beginning. At this point I’d say it’s past being mainstream relevant, and I don’t have time or desire to watch a long series without any irl social payoff. shrug

1 Like

You don’t just watch things for your own enjoyment? I can’t really imagine that, but fair enough I suppose

2 Likes

OBJECTION!

Disney+ is hurting me so bad…

3 Likes

As soon as I have someone irl mention the show I’ll consider it, deal?

1 Like

I’m almost finally done watching the series through. So good.

1 Like