Star Wars Rebels Discussion (Season 3 Spoilers!)

Also, the actual forming of the Rebel Alliance, an apparent invasion of Atollon, evil Chopper (maybe?), and not just Mandalorians, but also Sabineā€™s mom. HYPE.

Do things in trailers really need spoiler tags though?

thatā€™s a good trailer right there

hopefully the darktroopers are more intimidating than they were in that one episode

I gave my thoughts on this to those on discord, but I must say.
THIS IS AMAZING.
My favorite part, however, isnā€™t the part thatā€™s everyone elseā€™s favorite part.
My favorite part is FREAKING MANDALORIANS. I am so hyped for those episodes, they look good.

ā€œStupid sand. It gets everywhere.ā€

Bad Sabineā€¦you get a demotionā€¦

A pretty good way to start the second half of the season! Saw Gerreraā€™s return added a nice bit of conflict for the rest of the Ghost crew to faceā€“itā€™s great to see the continuation of his extremism, and having Forest Whitaker reprise his Rogue One role was a great bit of continuity. I also liked seeing the progress made from his Clone Wars appearance, as well as the minor differences from his R1 look (no mechanical legs or respirator). It really shows how he has a lot of adventures left to go before he settles in on Jedha.

I actually found myself sympathizing with Klik-Klak the most in this episode. I can understand Sawā€™s aversion to Geonosians, but the little guy was clearly frightened, and he has a great burden on his shoulders. The way they portrayed him reminds me of the Clone Wars episode ā€œHeroes on Both Sides,ā€ where Ahsoka got to see the nobler side of the Separatist Alliance. That episode reminded us, through her, that even in an entire population of evil people, there are often a few that are truly good, and those are worth protecting. Klik-Klak, in a way, is even more sympathetic, as he is one of the few survivors of his entire species. Thinking about him made me wonder what it would be like if I was the only human leftā€“I would certainly like to be treated better than Saw treated Klik-Klak.

Other than those major themes, the rest of the episode was pretty exciting and fun to watch. Everybody got their fair share of the action (Ezra acted pretty maturely in this one, I noticed), and the return of Sabineā€™s jetpack got a smile from me. Kananā€™s use of the Force to hold up one of the chasm bridges as a path was also really ingenious, and his surprising Force-leap was a fun moment. I also liked that they limited the Ghost by having the barrels get clogged, even though it forced me to relive a cringeworthy moment from Episode IIā€“thanks again, Sabineā€¦

Overall, a great pair of episodes. I think Rebels does really well with two-part plotlines. Clone Wars did well with three-to-four episode arcs, and I know many people lament the lack of those types of stories in Rebels. I think a series of two-part plots would really benefit the show, as every single season opener and finale that has utilized that format has made good use of itā€¦

What? Did she not make up for it when she took out those Rocket Troopers like a boss?

The Rocket Trooper takedown was great, but noā€¦no amount of awesomeness can atone for the misdeed of reminding me of teenage Anakin.

I suspect sheā€™ll make up for it when she leads the return to Mandalore and starts using the Darksaber, but until then, strike one, Sabineā€¦strike one.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Are you kidding?
That was great, they made fun of it and used it in an appropriate manner. An inappropriate manner would be flirting with your girlfriend. An appropriate one would be trying to shoot a TIE Bomber thatā€™s trying to kill you but you barrels are clogged with sand.

Yes, I am kiddingā€¦

Still, the appropriate manner only came after the inappropriate one, thus ensuring that no matter how appropriate the use is, it reminds you of the inappropriateness of the otherā€¦:stuck_out_tongue:

I can agree to that.
But after all the memes, Iā€™m afraid itā€™s impossible for me to forget about Anakin trying to flirt and ending up insulting Padmeā€™s childhood memories.

[quote=ā€œHutere, post:309, topic:2819ā€]
Anakin trying to flirt and ending up insulting Padmeā€™s childhood memories.
[/quote] But havenā€™t we all tried to flirt with a girl and ended up just insulting her???

4 Likes

so

that most recent episode was actually really good

I loved seeing the Defender in action, and how it just could not be killed

1 Like

I only just arrived to post, so let me share my overall thoughts so far:
The overall series post season 2 has been pretty neat. I loved the battle between Vader and Ahsoka and Iā€™ve kinda grown attached to Garrazeb and the rest of the main cast.
However, I do not like the facial animation. The heads are just always being waved around as a means to portray emotion, which in turn makes me lose focus on the rest of the plot when Iā€™m screaming ā€œStop waving their dang heads aroundā€. It does look like theyā€™ve started to lower the amount of head waving however, and I have managed to look past it at times.
Also, something about Ezra just doesnā€™t klick with me, especially during the current 3rd season. I donā€™t know if itā€™s his voice actor, the lines heā€™s done that the producers choose to use, or the dialogue itself, something just feels off.
Back to what I like though: I love Maul and Thrawn and Iā€™m looking forward to seeing Maul throw down with Obi-Won for maybe the last time. Seeing Vader, and hearing him be voiced by James Earl Jones was a total treat. I liked seeing Rex, Wolfe and Gregor, with Rexā€™s realization that the war was all for nothing. Also, seeing Kanan as a Jedi who was only a padawan when the order fell creates a really interesting setting for the character as he never really completed his own training and now heā€™s taking on this kid who has the potential to be a jedi. It helps sell how dire the situation is for them.
All in all, I feel this show is a worthy successor to the previous Clone Wars, despite its flaws, and Iā€™m looking forward to where the series is going. With news of a forth season on the way, I can only hope things are going to get better from here.

1 Like

Tonight is the night that Maul wades through sand.

Tonightā€™s episode was fantastic. Loved it so much. After all these years seeing Maul finally, with no doubt, die was actually surprisingly emotional. Didnā€™t think I would tear up over one of the most ruthless villains in all of Star Wars. . Kevin Kinerā€™s music was fantastic as usual, and Stephen Stanton as Ben Kenobi was as spot on as his Tarkin. Doubt weā€™ll see him again in Rebels, but for one episode, he was awesome. Canā€™t wait for next weekā€™s season finale!

3 Likes

That pretty much sums up my thoughts, but yes. It was fantastic.

so

to be honest I was kinda disappointed by the fight, but upon thinking about it, I understand why it was how it was and accept it, I just kinda wish it was a little longer

2 Likes

[spoiler] I get why people would want a longer fight, but to be honest, it makes sense that it was short. Both Ben and Maul are past their prime, and Ben was extremely focused due to Maulā€™s threatening discovery of Luke. Plus, the length of the fight was unexpected and surprising, which I think was a better move in the context of the story than a longer battle.

If anything can make it a little cooler, thereā€™s also thisā€“pay close attention to the standoff that begins the fight. Obi-Wan starts off in his traditional Form III stance, but then shifts to Form IV, the same stance Qui-Gon uses in TPM, if youā€™ll notice. Maul sees this, and thus tries the same move he used to kill Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan, however, expects this, and catches Maul off-guard, not falling for the same trick his master did. Their final conversation also mirrors Qui-Gonā€™s last words to Obi-Wan, if you listen closely. All in all, a really symbolic scene.

Plus, the Luke cameo at the end is nostalgic perfection. [/spoiler]

4 Likes

To see Maul dieā€¦ after all this timeā€¦ was very hard. Maul has always been my favorite Sith. Though he could not have had a more perfect death, I almost wish that he had not died in that way. I had hopedā€¦ that maybe he would come to the point of exhaustion on Tatooine, and that Obi Wan would find him and revive him for a few minutes before he died. I was glad that Obi Wan and Maul had been able to talk at the very end as almost friends, being sworn enemies in very old age. I hope another of Maulā€™s species will rise up soon to become a Jedi or Sith.

2 Likes

[spoiler] Iā€™ve seen a lot of comments on various reviews of the episode which claim that this past episode guarantees that Ezra will die at the end of the series. While no one here has brought that up, and while I donā€™t necessarily believe Ezra and Kanan will survive the series, I think a few thoughts should be considered about this point:

Firstly, the argument originated from the fact that Ezra meets Obi-Wan, which undoubtedly throws his statement in ESB that Luke is ā€œour last hopeā€ into question. Thus, it seems that for Ben to be right about this, Ezra must be dead by Empire.

I donā€™t think this is the case, however, considering Benā€™s last conversation with Maul, where he refers to Luke as the Chosen One. This, I believe, may be what he refers to in ESBā€“not Luke as the last hope for the Jedi, but the last hope for balance. As the Chosen One, Luke (or Anakin), would be the only one capable of fulfilling the prophecy. Neither Ezra nor Kanan could do so. Thus, even if Ezra is alive, Benā€™s statement holds true in this sense. It also explains Yodaā€™s response of their being ā€œanotherā€ā€“i.e. Leia, the only remaining Skywalker/contender for the role of Chosen One (if we consider the Skywalkers as the family destined to bear the Chosen One).

Iā€™m not saying Ezra wonā€™t or shouldnā€™t die at the end of Rebels, but I also donā€™t think this episode makes his death certain. The writers of this show know what they are doing, and I think whatever ending they come up with will be appropriate and effective. [/spoiler]

3 Likes

After what Obi Wan said to Maul, Iā€™m reconsidering what I have said I the past, I now think that it actually isnā€™t Luke or Anakin who is the Chosen One, I actually think itā€™s both of them, as a team. Neither would have accomplished it without the other.

1 Like