Star Wars Rebels Discussion (Season 3 Spoilers!)

His voice is familiar, but I can’t quite place it…

RECENT EPISODE SPOILERS

It’s the Grand Inquisitor.

1 Like

Did anyone see tonight’s episode of Rebels? Holy crap, that was amazing. I really like how the Grand Inquisitor looks in the Temple Guard outfit. Also, that scene with Ahsoka, wow.

Whew! Man, that was one heck of an episode! This show gets better and better as it goes on! Let’s see now, my thoughts…I’ll go through all of the major points:

Ezra’s Vision: Nothing really complex going on here, but it was great to see more Ezra-Yoda interaction. I love how Yoda expressed his uncertainty about the Clone Wars, just as Ezra is feeling uncertain about his role as a Jedi. Interesting how a 15 year-old Padawan and an 800+ year-old Jedi Master can be similar in some ways. It was also great to see Yoda admit that he feels fear, and to comment on the Jedi’s daily struggle with it. I feel like Ezra’s big obstacle, whether he knows it or not, is fear–fear of failure, fear of loss, etc. He hides it well, but it motivates a lot of his actions, which is why he teeters constantly on the edge of the Dark Side.

Ahsoka’s Vision: I was surprised at how little personal time Ahsoka got in this episode, but that didn’t make her experience any less powerful. Seeing and hearing Anakin’s voice clearly affected her, and seeing her truly learn what her former master has become was heart-wrenching. I’m interested by the line she had while fleeing the temple: “There’s still a way.” I have a feeling she’ll try to reach out to Vader when they meet in the finale (I expected her to, but one could make the case that she understands how fallen he truly is, and therefore won’t even bother trying to connect with him again). Her brief vision of Yoda as she left the temple was beautiful, and in my opinion very symbolic. We saw at the beginning of the episode that Ahsoka realizes that she’s no longer a Jedi (although she arguably deserves the title more than anyone), abstaining from opening the temple, but her brief glance with Yoda shows that even if she’s not a member of the Order, she’s still a Jedi at heart. Yoda knew that, and I think Ahsoka left knowing it as well.

Kanan’s Vision: Arguably the most important part of the episode, and definitely the most awesome. I loved the design of the dojo, and the conflict expressed in the vision–between Kanan’s awareness of Ezra’s darker tendencies and his care for him–was perfectly captured in the conflict between him and the Temple Guard. Now, I was turned onto the theory of the Temple Guard being the Grand Inquisitor on Tuesday, right before the episode aired, and I’m glad about that, because it gave been a perfect window to speculate and go over the evidence before I was vindicated. I really must tip my hat to those who came up with the theory after watching the trailer, 'cause I wouldn’t have bet on that for my life. Anyway, as for the reveal itself, it was excellently done. I loved how the Temple Guard/Grand Inquisitor knighted Kanan, and his line–“you are now what I once was”–was hauntingly delivered. I almost feel as if the Grand Inquisitor’s spirit was reaching out to Kanan through the Force, trying to correct hi wrongs. After all, Kanan had no idea who he was before, so if this vision was drawn merely from his mind, the reveal probably wouldn’t happen. This also explains why the Inquisitor and his fellow guards were able to materialize before the other Inquisitors. Overall, Kanan’s vision had the most impact for me, because he finally understands that whatever becomes of Ezra will not be his fault. He has done all he can to train him and guide him–now Ezra’s on his own, and the Force will be his only guide.

As for some other stray thoughts, I loved the opening duel. Kanan’s banter with the Seventh Sister was great (especially given the fact that Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar are married in real life), and the improvements in Ezra and Kanan’s saber techniques show how far they’ve come by working together (and, likely, training under Ahsoka). Their teamwork was great all around.

Overall, an excellent episode that really deserves a 10/10. If the rest of the season is as awesome as this episode, Rebels may soon be on par with the latter seasons of TCW (it already blows the first couple out of the water, though).

2 Likes

Am I the only one who loved the facial exchange between Yoda and Ahsoka? That may be my favorite moment in Rebels, maybe even all of Star Wars’s animated moments. I feel like that had so much power, and I agree with @Toa_Heatwave 's opinion on it.

1 Like

the thing that stood out to me in this episode

Ahsoka saw Anakin in Episode 3 before he went to save Palpatine

Yeah, I caught that. I’m pretty sure Dave Filoni mentioned that scene being planned for the unfinished arc of TCW episodes they were making when it got canceled.

He did. He said she was part of an extremely important mission.

1 Like

Disney XD spoiled the next episode in a TV ad for it :expressionless:

I hope the new character introduced in the most recent episode sticks around

I’ve always had a thing for retired, defeated veteran characters whose reward for all their hard work is nonexistent.

5 Likes

I agree–he was pretty cool, and his dynamic with Chopper was excellent.

Also, in other SWR news, Disney has released a teaser for the Season 2 finale, focusing on the showdown we’ve all known was coming for a long time, and complete with a haunting line of new dialogue by James Earl Jones:

:cry: I don’t want it to end this way, even though I have a vague suspicion about how it will…

1 Like

I swear, if Ahsoka dies, I’m gonna be so mad…

I don’t think they’ll kill her off just yet. It’s only been a year or so since she returned, so taking her away from us I think would be cruel. Besides, Palpatine suggested to Vader in the season premier that she could ‘lead’ them to other lost Jedi. Kinda hard to have someone lead you somewhere if they’re dead. My prediction? She’ll be captured or have an arm cut off or something. Still, I could be completely wrong. I guess we’ll know in a few hours.

1 Like

True. Off to watch soon.

And so the hype for Season 3 begins…

NOW

2 Likes

I’m still trying to absorb everything I just watched…

In spoiler-free terms, this was undoubtedly the darkest episode (I know it’s two, but I treat it as one) that “Rebels” has shown so far–I daresay it’s darker than any Star Wars TV episode thus far. The mood of sadness, fear, and anger is expertly crafted, and the emotions run high throughout the entire hour. Now, onto spoilery stuff:

One thing I was hoping for a little more of was Malachor’s history. I know that KOTOR has it all developed, but that’s old canon, and the new canon only references what happened as “The Scourge of Malachor,” indicating that Kylo Ren found the model for his crossguard-saber there. The green saber that Ezra found was a nice shout-out, but I wanted a little more knowledge to come our way about the new history of the planet, perhaps from Ahsoka or Maul.

Onto Maul, however, he was great in this episode, and I’m stoked that he’s coming back next season, as confirmed by Dave Filoni. His new saber/cane was awesome, and he seems to still be in peak shape despite the slightly feigned weariness he projects. Plus, just like in TCW, he lives up to his name–the way he cut down Seventh Sister was savage (I actually felt a twinge of compassion for her, despite the usual neutrality I have had for her thus far–she was rather bland as a villain, but her death made up for that). I felt a little bad for Fifth Brother, too. Maul didn’t give him much of a shot, and I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have been a great threat without his saber, as he’s relatively incompetent with it. The new Inquisitor didn’t get much of a rise out of me, 'cause he was introduced solely for plot. His death made me shrug, but his lightsaber was neat.

Now, Kanan–oh man, I was pissed when Maul blinded him. I wanted to see Maul make a turn towards, like, the neutral good or something, but then he ruined my dreams. Still, the shock of it was well-used, and the way Kanan defeated Maul even without his eyesight really shows how far he’s come. I also liked the visual nod to his visions in “Shroud of Darkness.” Having the helmet he puts on be a Temple Guard’s was a neat way of reflecting his newfound knighthood. It’s almost as if the Grand Inquisitor’s legacy was passing on to him.

I was a little thrown by the Ventress-voice coming from the Sith Holocron, especially since it’s not actually her, just her voice actress. Then again, they say it’s not her, but who knows…

But, now we come to it…the confrontation we were all waiting for. Man, what a raw and emotional fight Ahsoka and Vader had. Vader’s entrance was perfect, and JEJ was on point as usual. Ahsoka’s “I’m no Jedi” line made me whimper with such helpless despair, which was only strengthened when Vader spoke to her again later on, in Anakin’s voice mixed with his new one. The emotions conveyed through his one visible eye were amazing, and the shot of them facing each other in silence, with that haunting music in the background, was gold.

Now, as to what happened after they disappeared from view, I’m willing to bet that they only actually fought for a few moments. We see the Phantom flying away as the Temple crumbles, and it seems pretty clear that the falling structure would’ve interrupted their duel. Perhaps Vader didn’t kill or wound Ahsoka, which is why we pretty clearly see her walking into the Temple near the end of the episode. By the way, the shots of Vader rising and limping away from the Temple, with their own accompanying music, were epic.

Totally freaking out for Ezra now. The kid’s gonna have some serious Dark Side issues to resolve next season. I’m also expecting Ahsoka will return. That shot would never have been put in if she was dead (there’s also a new Her Universe T-■■■■■ that Ashley Eckstein is promoting with Dave Filoni’s artwork of that shot right on the front). It’s actually both relieving and disappointing that she’s likely alive–relieving ‘cause I freakin’ love her, disappointing because it’s rather anti-climactic.

Overall, these two episodes are undoubtedly the best “Rebels” episodes to date. Incredibly well-crafted, well-acted, and just plain awesome!

4 Likes

I’m just going to say. She did die by Vader’s hand in the original canon.

Where is this? I’m actually legitimately confused, 'cause didn’t TCW get canceled right before or just as Disney bought Lucasfilm? If so, there wouldn’t have been much time to create an “original canon” story for her death…

Either way, this is the story we have now (and I think it was darn well handled)…

I guess you didn’t know. There were comics and books. Not just TCW. In one of said comics Ashoka was killed. Besides. Disney didn’t actually make anything under their new canon until rebels came out. A show I really didn’t enjoy. Maybe it’s better now. I don’t know. But It was pretty bad at the beginning.

Do you mind citing a source on that, please? I think I would’ve remembered something like that.