Star Wars Rebels Discussion (Season 3 Spoilers!)

I’m sure you’d enjoy Season 2 more. Season 1 was like the opening season of TCW in many ways–it had some cool moments, but like most stories, it had an audience to establish and characters to create. Thus, a lot of it was on a small scale, which I can understand might put off the TCW fans, who were accustomed to story arcs and the sweeping scale of the Clone Wars.

However, Season 2 opens with a great intro (complete with heavy doses of Vader), and the stakes are clearly ramped up. The show retains its more focused, character-driven concept, but the larger galaxy is definitely in the background and hinted at frequently.

In terms of Ahsoka, I can understand your aversion to a rewriting of her fate, but I’m willing to accept it solely because Dave Filoni is behind it. Rebels is helmed by the same team as TCW, so while they might be constrained by the Disney XD audience, they’ll never violate the characters they created and love so dearly back in the TCW days. In my opinion, they’re the best people to handle Ahsoka’s fate, whatever it may be…

2 Likes

I’m afraid I can’t. This happened years ago. Go to the star wars wikia and look up Ashoka. You should be able to find her death and citations for that death on the page.

No, no. That was her dying, in canon, but then coming back to life five minutes later. That’s the only thing I can find, at least.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s what I said.

In an episode of CW. The Mortis arc.

That’s weird. It was there once upon a time. Things have changed around since the Disney canon was introduced.

1 Like

I’ve been looking around the Internet to see if I can find what you’re referencing, but I don’t seem to be able to locate anything about a comic in which Ahsoka is killed. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but none of the sites I’ve seen that deal with her fate after leaving the Order make reference to a comic, or her death…

I know I’ve been doing the same. I can find zero evidence of what I’ve said.

That’s funny…where could you have gotten such a memory, though? It’s not like you just made up the idea that you saw her die in a comic. Puzzling…

I’m sure there’s an explanation, though. :grinning:

Yeah. I’ve seen discussion about it. I remember it being considered a sad piece of news back in the day. Oh well.

Are you sure you aren’t talking about Shaak Ti?
She originally had two scripted deaths in Episode III that were both cut. One was by Grievous near the beginning and the other was near the end at the hands of Anakin. The one by Anakin I believe did make it into the Episode III comic adaptation.

Well If I remember correctly, I first read about this. Read. So no I did not mix up the likeness of Shaak Ti. It’s more likely that this all happened in a dream mixing the two up (I’m serious. A dream would be way more lily in my case).

Ah, ok. Apologies if I have upset you.

xD I legitimately laughed at this. Not at all. I’m just saying in all honesty that I may have had a vague dream of myself looking it up, and that my brain filed it away in long term memory. IT’s the more likely senraio of the two options presented.

I will also point out that she was killed by Starkiller in The Force Unleashed (But I’ve also heard she was killed before the Empire officially began so…). But the Star Wars canon is large, and has more contradictions than G1. SO it wouldn’t surprise me if certain things were retconned or switched around.

There was a deleted scene from ROTS where Grievous kills her on board the Invisible Hand in front of Anakin and Obi-Wan, but that was scrapped, so TFU probably saw it as okay to rewrite her death. As of right now, all we know of how she dies is that she’s impaled by a blue lightsaber (Yoda saw this in a vision in his last arc on TCW), which leaves both scenarios as possibilities, I suppose.

Anyway, back on the Rebels front, I’ve thought a lot about the finale in the past day or so, and re-watched the important scenes multiple times. I am now almost completely convinced that Ahsoka is alive. The shot of her walking into the temple clearly has her descending, as if down stairs, rather than collapsing. This is supported by the T-■■■■■ Ashley Eckstein has been shown wearing, which clearly shows Ahsoka walking into the temple “unharmed” (I put that in quotes because we can’t know that she hasn’t sustained injuries). I don’t know if she’ll be back next season, but I’d like her fate to remain unanswered for a while. There is a novel coming out about her adventures between leaving the Order and joining the crew of the Ghost, so that’ll provide us with plenty of Ahsoka action in the interim.

Now, as for those who say that leaving Ahsoka alive invalidates Vader as a threat, I respectfully disagree. For one, that explosion was pretty rough on the temple. I’d be surprised if Vader and Ahsoka even had much time to duel before it collapsed, and the state he was in after it fell isn’t exactly one where he should be fighting. Perhaps they were separated during the blast? Maybe Vader allowed her to live in the hopes that she would lead him to Kenobi, or turn to the Dark Side?

Certainly a lot to think about…

3 Likes

Sidious did say that he wanted Ahsoka to lead them to other Jedi.

I though that the season finale was pretty good, but I thought that the whole Kanan becoming blind thing was unnecessary

But now he’s going to be Daredevil.

1 Like

Well, technically anything done to mutilate a character is unnecessary. Like didn’t have to lose a hand in ESB to be crushed by Vader, nor did Anakin need to lose all his limbs in ROTS (though he needed to lose at least his right arm, for ROTJ to make sense). Mutilations are done to provide shock value, as well as realism. Now the show writers have a great challenge for Kanan and the crew to overcome, and a lot of room for character development. That’s simply good storytelling. Plus, it’s the finale…you can’t have every character emerge entirely unscathed.

4 Likes

That is exactly what I thought when I saw that.

1 Like