Star Wars Resistance

They treated Solo the same way, and it was Disney’s first loss, so your theory might be onto something. I agree that, IMO, the disproportionate fan outrage will be the demise of Star Wars, rather than anything Disney does. Objectively, none of the products Lucasfilm has created since the Disney acquisition has been any better or worse than what George Lucas himself produced. The key here is expectations, and the fans have never displayed consistent expectations, meaning that there’s nowhere to go but disappointment.

Do I think this is going to be the new normal for Star Wars? I hope not, and I don’t think so. The Clone Wars revival has generated a lot of good will, so that might be a step in the right direction, and if Episode IX appeals to those fans who disliked TLJ, then things might get back on track.

In terms of Resistance, however, I think it’s important to remember that Rebels was received with the SAME type of criticism at first…and, well, look how that turned out.

2 Likes

Star Wars survived the hate the supposed awful Prequel trilogy got, so if it can survive that, it can survive anything.

5 Likes

I think the main difference is with the modern stuff, it’s been objectively good (mostly) content that is getting vehemently hated just as bad as the prequels were. Regardless of if you like the prequels or not (I do) the acting, cgi, and plot is mostly weaker, with a few exceptions. Now, if even the relatively good content is hated, the objectively mediocre content every now and then could run the franchise into the ground from backlash.
I apologize if this argument isn’t making much sense, I’m having trouble articulating.
I think the way to fix a franchise is not to boycott everything, but to support it while providing criticism. Disney needs to know that it’s still a viable brand that could be improved, not a hopeless “darned if you do, darned if you don’t” scenario. Otherwise they may just give up, and then no one gets Star Wars.

2 Likes

TBH, while I believe Disney knows that Star Wars is still a viable brand, with the way the fans have been acting, I’m almost tempted to WANT them to give up on it. The Star Wars fandom has needed a good kick in the pants for a LONG time, and if these new movies prove anything, it’s that their attitude isn’t going to get any better. I think it might be a smart marketing ploy for Disney if–after Episode IX–they put Star Wars films on hold for a few years. The TV shows, toys, and novels/comics can continue, as the fans haven’t really responded all that negatively to them, but maybe a few more years without films will remind some of the more irritating fans what it’s like to be without Star Wars for a while.

2 Likes

im pretty sure most of them lived through 2005-2015
and i doubt their opinions of the prequels ever increased
considering how stubborn the sw fandom is i don’t think the “give it a couple years” start would work

2 Likes

A good point, but I think the turnaround on the Sequel Trilogy will be faster, as those movies ARE of an objectively-better quality. Then again, I’m basing my assumptions on how reasonable people think, which automatically eliminates at least 80% of Star Wars fans…

I guess my main point is that the fans have had this coming for a while–they’ve been clamoring for some vague, nebulous ideal of what Star Wars “should be” since the Prequels, and now that they’re finally getting SOMETHING, they’re throwing it all away because it’s not exactly as they expected. IMO, it might be better for everyone if Disney backed off a bit, just to see if the fans are really upset about the content, or just whining as they usually do.

Here’s a query for you my guy: how do you view objectivity?
Like I can agree they had better production values, acting, and effects, but everything else is way messier IMO.

[quote=“HewksDKowlihad, post:27, topic:44540”]
production values, acting, and effects, but everything else is way messier IMO.
[/quote] Quality wise, those are the three kickers. Obviously, there’s a level of subjectivity to all of this, especially when it comes to stuff like the plot, story, and writing, which are harder to compare by nature. Personally I think they are at least close to the same level plot wise, being alright to pretty good, so it’s the aforementioned qualities of acting (which is crucial) effects, and production values, as well as dialogue writing, that tip in favor of the sequels. Though I respect your opinion. I love the prequels.
I know you were asking him, these are just my two cents.:stuck_out_tongue:
On another note, so as to stay on topic, how do you guys feel about the fact that this show will be on regular tv, while the clone wars will be on the streaming service?

CLONE WARS WILL BE ON THE BEAVER-BUILT WALL STREAMING SERVICE?!

1 Like

Mostly, I agree with @Sabretooth. I define objectivity in film by what can be compared objectively–the quality of the acting, the use of special effects and their quality, and technical aspects like cinematography, editing, and score. On these points, the Original and Sequel Trilogies succeed by leaps and bounds over the Prequels (except in terms of score, because John Williams is a musical god).

Things like plot, character, and story are far harder to judge objectively, which is why most of the critiques of the recent films fall flat. It all boils down to what you like vs. what someone else likes. Pride and Prejudice and Harry Potter are completely different stories in style, execution, and genre, and thus it becomes harder to rank them in terms of quality, because some people will love the same aspects of one that another person loathes.

It’s similar with the three Star Wars trilogies. Though they all form one saga, each tells a different part of the overall story, and–ideally–does so in a different way. That’s why a number of people disliked Episode VII for its similarities to Episode IV…it felt like the story was being told in the exact same way. That’s why I like The Last Jedi, because it takes what you might expect after The Force Awakens (a rehash of Empire Strikes Back) and turns it on its head at each step. Now, other people dislike that, and that’s fine, but simply disliking how a story is told does not make it objectively bad, especially in film. That’s why I find the rabid hatred for The Last Jedi annoying: it takes subjective aspects of the film and treats them objectively, while doing so to make the film seem objectively bad.

5 Likes

Visually, I love this. It really reminds me of Dragon Booster, which is always good in my book.

As for the story, I’m willing to wait and see what kind of tone it has. I can see some hints in the trailer that there might be some more mature themes, but even if it does end up being very childish, I’ll still probably watch. because it looks phenomenal

2 Likes

I believe it’s an E-wing…
or a modified x-wing.

A cool little featurette going into the pilots on the show…

Now what’s that I see at 3:57…Kylo Ren’s shuttle? Might we get a cameo?

1 Like