Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker Topic

While it seems obvious that Dark Rey is a “vision” or nightmare, I do feel the need to point out that–in the context of that article–“vision” does work as a synonym for sight. It might have been changed simply because the author realized that their attempt to sound sophisticated made the article read as a spoiler.

However, Dark Rey almost certainly isn’t real, so there’s that. You really have to go with the Least Common Denominator with this trilogy (and Star Wars as a whole, though less so overall). JJ Abrams loves to tease his audience with cool, mysterious things that never pan out, because he’s an expositor. He builds up mystery, tension, and exposition that he doesn’t have solutions for, which is why almost everyone hated the ending of Lost, not because the ending itself was bad for the characters, but because it was the most obvious, expected ending for a series which had cast itself as something new and unpredictable.

IMO, the same thing will happen with TROS and the Sequel Trilogy. It’ll look cool on the surface, with great action, great visuals, and even great acting, but under that surface it will end up as a jumble of missed opportunities, unsolved mysteries, and unfulfilled expectations.

2 Likes

I read the interview as the protagonists are taking on Palpatine’s “doctrine,” which makes sense because he was essentially the basis of evil in all three trilogies. I just hope they’ve found a way to keep the idea of “balance” from The Last Jedi.

1 Like

Maz Kanata pulls out Luke’s lightsaber to show Han Solo
“Where did you get that?”
“Another story for another time.”

Thanks, JJ. :rolling_eyes:

6 Likes

Wasn’t that elaborated on in one of the new canon novels?

I don’t believe so, based solely upon a quick survey of Wookieepedia, which I imagine would have that info.

But hey, I could be wrong. Either way, the point about JJ stands, because it’s obvious that–regardless of whether or not the question was answered later–he never had the answer for it. He set up the mystery to be left unresolved, unless someone else wanted to explain it.

EDIT: After further research, could this be what you’re thinking of, @legomaster1378?

This seems to imply that “someone” scavenged it, and that it then somehow got to Maz.

2 Likes

I’ve said before that maybe I’m wrong; either way I’ll wait till I pirate this movie to see.

“Hero” Lightsaber:

Has murdered dozens of children

3 Likes

Not sure where the image is from, but the props department has different terms for different versions of the lightsabers. Ones that work with lights and stuff for filming purposes and aren’t just props meant to sit there and look pretty are known as “Hero blank”. Kylo’s saber has the same distinction when it can light up and everything. So if that image is from a prop showcase, then that’s why the hero designation is there.

But yes, it is humorous for the Skywalker saber to be used in that context when you think about it, lol. Aside from the Death Stars/Starkiller Base, it’s probably the weapon with the most kills attributed to it between droids, Separatist allied combatants, Jedi, Younglings, the Separatist leaders, Imperials, First Order troops… :joy:

2 Likes

Removed the potential spoilers because leak policy (yes, I’m stretching that rule a bit, but if you want to spoil yourself, you can google it off-site). -Prentice1215

3 Likes

There is rumors online that claim that Rise of Skywalker will have some major re-shoots. If that is the case, than the movie is in danger. Yeah, re-shoots are something very common in blockbusters nowdays, but re-shoots in less than 3 mouths before the release? I am very worried.

Hehe.

Well so far it doesn’t sound like I’m wrong on my stance. Maybe they’re trying to fix that bad fan fiction plot leak.

By this you’re saying that it is true.

Well the post seemed refutable. Let’s just agree with the inital post and say this isn’t good news.

No. If that becomes true, Disney might as well render the ST uncannon.

Why would they do that?

Well if they don’t fans will. I for one regard transformers the last knight as nonexistent to the series.

Technically it’s already noncanon anyway; first thing Disney did was take George Lucas’s sequel trilogy plot and flush it down the toilet.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the sequels still count. I thought anything that wasn’t on film was thrown out, but any movies and TV shows after a certain point were kept.

To be fair, it this point it seems almost like the fans want Episode 9 to fail…

Agreed. I’m hopeful, they got J. J. back

1 Like