Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker Topic

Ok. I watched it.

#P̶O̶W̶E̶R̶ ̶T̶O̶ ̶S̶E̶E̶ ̶S̶P̶O̶I̶L̶E̶R̶S̶ ̶G̶R̶A̶N̶T̶E̶D̶

Before I say spoilery stuff, I’ll mention that it was kinda good. I recommend it.

[spoiler]I thought the movie was actually…pretty good. I CERTAINLY enjoyed it much more than TLJ. It was a good ending, but it’s still got some problems. I think the pacing was very fast at the beginning of the film. Kylo finds Palpatine, they go on a planet, then the other. Fortunately it stopped being so fast later. Other problems I may have with it, is well, the thing that we were not explained exactly how Palpatine was still ‘alive’. Yeh no eyes and zombie look but still alive. It also wasn’t explained from which parent did Rey link with the Emperor. There are more but I can’t talk about them now.

So yeah. Nasty little problems like that, but nothing big enough to destroy the whole thing. [/spoiler]

1 Like

I’m just going to toss my hat into the ring here and say this.

[spoiler]As fun as a lot of elements of the film are, I think it’s flawed at the core, by the very nature of Palpatine returning:

1. It shows very little faith in the new characters we’d introduced
  2. It raises a LOT of questions
  3. It kind of just, invalidates Vader’s whole redemption arc. If his act of self-sacrifice didn’t actually kill the emperor, or at least permanently, then what was the point? This is the exact same problem I had with them doing it in the EU. They essentially just pulled the rug from under Anakin, arguably the main character of the Star Wars saga, and just sort of ignored his existence completely.

Also Rey calling herself a Skywalker at the end was silly and kind of went against what her character stood for in the first place :stuck_out_tongue:[/spoiler]

4 Likes

This was an interesting movie… My opinion is very muddled and I haven’t decided whether or not I liked it. They did a lot of bad things, but there were a few really good parts, too.

[spoiler]I’ve had two ideas that I believe could have helped me enjoy this movie a lot more.

One was C-3PO. He kind of just died, but not really, and then came back with no consequence. He didn’t sit well with me at all. I think if R2-D2 had taken C-3PO’s memory and mentioned that he made “improvements,” we could have seen a really fun bowcaster C-3PO that would have been both hilarious and neat to see. I felt humor in this movie was lacking, and probably laughed once or twice.

Another would be to include the Force Ghosts of the Jedi. I mean, imagine how cool it would be if we saw Qui-Gon and Anakin and Aayla and all these Jedi standing behind her as she states “And I am all the Jedi” (a direct copy of Endgame, but whatever). I know, not all of them were Force Ghosts, but this movie kind of broke the rules of the Force several times, so I’d be willing to sacrifice a bit more.[/spoiler]

I’m going to be 100% honest here. It’s very hard for me to say this, especially with the kind of reactions I’ve been getting…

I preferred The Last Jedi.

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, but I no joke do. TLJ had little expectations for it. It was a sequel to The Force Awakens, which is my least favorite of the trilogy, and takes the place of Empire Strikes Back, the widely accepted best film, and Attack of the Clones, widely accepted as the worst. Whether it was good or bad, no one could really be disappointed by it outside of the trailers which I still think were masterfully done.

The thing is, my opinion of TLJ is primarily positive. My least favorite part was, as I’ve said time and time again, Ackbar’s death. If that’s the worst part of the movie for me, clearly I enjoyed it. It tried something new without betraying the franchise. It was out there, it was weird, and lots of people didn’t like that, but at least it succeeded, if not as a Star Wars film, than as a standalone movie.

RoS is just a complete mess of a film. The more I dwell on it, the more scenes I get angry at. It promised far too much, and we got too little out of it. [spoiler]No less than four times did we believe a character was dead, got sad over it so that the film could milk on the emotions, and then immediately felt betrayed after this character was brought back in a second with little consequence. Well, except for one case.

And don’t get me started on Bliss, the Knights of Ren, Lando, BB-8, so many characters I was looking forward to seeing and then feeling cheated out of something really cool. Did I expect them to be good? The Sequels have a way of killing everything off before they can get good, so not really. But I’m still dissapointed.

Really, that’s probably the biggest problem I have with the Sequels as a whole. I feel like as soon as a character has served their purpose to the plot, they are immediately slaughtered. I can go on and on with them, from Tekka to Snoke to Ackbar to Holdo to Luke to Leia (whose Force Awakens lines didn’t feel right to me) to Boolio to Hux to Knights of Ren to Phasma (twice) and on and on. The characters don’t really feel like they belong to this world, because they’re removed so quickly. They feel more like plot devices than actual characters, and that’s a crime in any story. I’m not saying I want a full arc to each one, I’m saying I want something, anything, from Boolio besides a message from some spy and a head on the table. There are plenty of characters like that in Star Wars, but with characters seemingly essential to the plot and then ripped out immediately…[/spoiler]

I should probably just leave it there. I could write essays over my problems with the movie, but they won’t come out as anything besides nitpicks. There’s just something about this film that doesn’t sit well with my stomach, and it makes me sad that this is how the saga ends. I can only hope that Disney will spend time making more Rogue One’s and Solo’s and Mandalorian’s instead of driving the franchise off a cliff.

I know I sound like I hate this movie, but I really don’t. I’d pick it over Harry Potter any day, and I still think they did very well with certain parts. Most of my issues are personal, and are difficult for me to explain. Oh, well, at least the Mandalorian finale was exceptionally spectacular. Star Wars has not been this alive to me than since Rogue One was released, so I’m happy.

Overall, I liked the Sequel Trilogy, just not very much compared to the rest of Star Wars. What can I say, Prequels are just my jam.

5 Likes

I think it should speak volumes that ep9 was so bad it made people appreciate the awful ep8 in hindsight.

3 Likes

oh gosh, I am Trash for like it then…

Yes you are. Ask a mod to ban you.

One of my friends thinks it’s the greatest movie of all time, and beats Endgame 10x over.

To “like it” is an opinion that is far more agreeable.

I definitely wouldn’t take it that far, I can plainly see what other people have a problem with with the Last Jedi, but I also don’t mind it completely. I think it has its moments.

I kind of liked it, I know it’s not that good but I do know it does have it’s Moments.

please tell me your joking

Yes, Risebell tends to meme on people, it’s just a joak

The movie really did look nice; that’s one thing I actually did like. The problem was that this trilogy has all been blockbusters aka looks nice but not much else. All three looked very pretty but that’s it.

tlj offered social commentary, innovation to the force, a realistic look at the extreme ideologies of sith and Jedi, refocused the franchise from bloodlines to the individual, but sure. It’s just a pretty blockbuster

It was also a movie that near completely ignored the trilogy setup and closed so many plots in one movie it left almost nothing for the rise of skywalker. Snoke; dead Luke; dead, emperor defeated; yes, Kylo turns; bingo, etc. it was fine on its own but a bad part of a trilogy.
even if this trilogy still turned out this bad at least had rian or jj worked on all three we could say the overall plot was bad but it was there.

I kinda feel like they spat in the face of that idea the moment they did that stupid “I’m a Skywalker” line. That was so pandering it hurt.

honestly I feel that moment could have been really touching if JJ hadn’t already made her a palpitine

that scene wouldn’t have been so cringe if she had just said she’s a palpatine. That way it’s kinda a insinuation that she’s going to fix his mistakes and make the name not the most hated evil name in the galaxy.

That name already was the most hated name in the entire galaxy, so if the masses would hear that the new Luke Skywalker was Palpatine’s granddaughter they would straight up impale her instead of having to go through another age of terror.

I mean… why not just Rey? She didn’t need to be anyone else. She’d spent so long trying to find that meaning through her family, and when she did, it didn’t suit her anyway. So why not just Rey?

1 Like

Because at the end of the production JJ realised that he actually had to come with a reason as of why these three movies have the rights to be part of the Skywalker Saga.
I personally don’t have as big of a problem with her calling herself Skywalker, it continues the bloodline at least in some way, but in retrospctive I think it would have been cooler if she would have responded with “just Rey”.

I just think it kind of comes out of nowhere. Like, sure, she’s kind of close to some Skywalkers, but… really? That’s a stretch. Obviously I get why it was done, but to me that’s just the ultimate spit in the face. Not only do they invalidate Anakin’s sacrifice, and only really keep his memory around in the form of the Vader helmet which no longer applies to him, but they just slap the name of Skywalker on the main character because… because.