Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) Discussion Topic

That seems to be a sore spot for many fans. I wonder if the reaction would have been different had Lucasfilm firmly stated they wouldn’t be respecting the EU before they started “canon-bombing”.

1 Like

George Lucas even calls the EU “glorified fan-fiction” ;D

2 Likes

I watched Clone wars fairly often. For some reason I liked it when the clones said “We got rollers!” it always sounded funny.

I don’t remember that happening all too often. Then again, there weren’t a massive amount of large-scale battles featuring Droidekas.

Because they make them small

Or Durge as well as assassin droids make them small

starwars.com recently published a bunch of info about the unproduced TCW stories and how some of them will be released. Any thoughts?

http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/the-clone-wars-legacy

2 Likes

I was going to post this later but you beat me to it. A real shame these stories aren’t full episodes :frowning:

1 Like

I actually enjoyed this series, even though I didn’t like the film.

When I first saw the series, it seemed quite boring on the first episode. I truly got into it in that one episode where Grevious had a ship, called the Malevolence, I think, that turned off star ships, being a threat to the Republic’s Navy. I really liked that part, and I watched it on and off for a while.

I really started watching it when it came on Netflix. I tell you, some of the episodes in that series where some of the best Star Wars stories ever, like the mentioning of Obi-Wan having an affair with a dutchess years ago, or the one with the Zillo beast. Although, my favorite story-arch was in the special Netflix season, where a Clone commander learns about a secret device implanted in all the clones, and Palpatine successfully covers it up. As much as I wanted the clone commander in that episode to win, I knew he wouldn’t.

Anyways, some of the episodes I didn’t like, some I did, and it was overall a great show. One of my only complaints: The return of Darth Maul.
I honestly hated the fact they brought him back into the continuity. I know he survived by the Dark Side of the Force, but I didn’t like the fact that he was returning in the first place.
But no matter. I still liked the series anyways. :smiley:

4 Likes

@Chronicler,
The entire Savage Opress/Nightsisters/Darth Maul storyline definitely seems to divide fans. On one hand, the whole idea of Maul surviving does seem a bit far-fetched. However, I think the Maul/Mandalorian Revolution arc in Season 5 (combined with Sam Witwer’s amazing voice-acting) really makes Maul’s resurrection worthwhile.

You’re not the only one who didn’t like the pilot film but enjoyed the series. I find the movie works much better as a pilot then as a standalone Star Wars film. If you rewatch it after seeing the entire series, it’s so much better.

The Malevolence Arc. Ah, so much nostalgia for me :smiley:. Though the animation in those episodes looks REALLY dated compared to S6. I actually liked “Ambush” (the first episode to air) quite a bit. Sure, the plot was a bit light and simplistic but it did a good job of showcasing how resourceful Clones could be.

I loved the “Protocol 66” arc too. Of course, Fives did have to die because, you know, Episode III happened (BTW, Fives was a ARC trooper, not a Commander :P)

I’m also bumping this video because, you know, Domino Squad. #WeNeedACryingEmote

4 Likes

I remember reading somewhere that he was actually alive and confronted obi-wan again (not sure which comic / EU) so I wasn’t really surprise when he was reveal.

It’s a real shame the show was canceled when I learned that they planned for 9 seasons :confused:

1 Like

I like Gregor. Gregor has no idea who I am. Gregor came back in TTV INFINITY.

1 Like

I’ve heard they had written 8, including stories that would have led directly into the events of ROTS.

Hey, if Palpetine can die and be brought back to life over and over in the EU, I think Maul can do it at least once. :smile:

2 Likes

The problem with the expanded universe is that it is no longer canon. Which means most of those comics are non-canon now.

1 Like

Yeah, and?

1 Like

That means, according to Star Wars canon, things like Darth Maul coming back in those comics never really happened. I’m not sure if that applies to The Clones Wars (because shows like Star Wars Rebels are canon now) but it does mean a lot of the books written before that famous “Expanded Universe not-canon” thing are now non-canon.

This upset me, especially since I liked the Force Unleashed’s version of how the Rebel Alliance started, and I feel that that game should stay canon.
But, now Star Wars Rebels is the canon story. They better make it have a good plot like the Clone Wars.

@Chronicler

Rebels is shaping up pretty well (BTW, The Clone Wars is considered canon). I’ve never played Force Unleashed but from the clips and gameplay I’ve seen, Starkiller is absurdly overpowered. I’m not saying the story is no good. I just think certain details are a bit out-of-wack (even though being an insanely powerful Force-user seems like a ton of fun).

1 Like

Trust me, the story of that game is pretty epic. Literally, you start out as a secret apprentice of Darth Vader, but then you betray him and learn that the Empire has kidnapped Bail and Leia Organa, and you have to go inside the Death Star, past enemies who meet your match, and even sneak through the Lazer Beam that is on the Death Star, in order to defeat Darth Vader and the Emperor. However, you get killed by the Emperor when trying to save a Jedi friend you made, being a sacrifice for your friends to escape, and the Organas, your crew, and the Jedi friend you made decide to make the Rebel Alliance, using the Separatist Symbol as their icon.

Honestly, Starkiller may seem overpowered, but the game makes it pretty difficult with some of the weapons, ships, and enemies you go against. Literally, TIE-Fighters shoot at you, and you have to grab another one by the Force in order to defeat it. You also have to go against AT-ST’s and other huge Imperial weapons. It’s no easy game, but it is pretty fun. :smiley:

Clone Wars is canon? Good. :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s kinda what I mean by “overpowered”. You may not be able to mop the floor with all the enemies you come across but you’re still crazy powerful when compared to almost every other Force-user in the canon galaxy. Didn’t Starkiller even bring down a Star Destroyer at one point?

Wasn’t the Alliance symbol supposed to be Starkiller’s family crest or something? (and not the logo the CIS used during the Clone Wars)?

1 Like

Yop, and it was awesome to see. >:D

Correct again.

4 Likes