Star Wars: The Last Jedi

You’re kinda right about that. I don’t think she was that great with the saber. Yeah she can hold her own with it, but her fighting style isn’t like a normal Jedi which is more kendo/ two handed. Her style is much more hack and slash. Plus I think they’re building towards her getting a double bladed lightsaber or a lightsaber spear.

1 Like

The movie was just awesome. I loved it. But it shocked me too. It was horrible to see death after death after death in the first scenes. But I still don’t understand why Luke died.

Old age plus used too much of the Force.

3 Likes

“Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.”

6 Likes

Gonna be honest, I’m wondering how JJ is going to close the trilogy in one movie? This has opened up a wide range of possiblities, so it’d certainly be interesting to see

4 Likes

TBH, that’s a good thing. TFA was criticized for following Episode IV too closely. Because TLJ turns everything on its head, JJ can’t create a movie like ROTJ to close out this trilogy. And if there’s one thing we don’t need, it’s another ROTJ.

2 Likes

Luke god poisoned by alien milk.

3 Likes

LOL yeah!

I would not think the staff is an excuse to give her experience with a lightsaber. While it may be a bonus, the plot has Jakku as a hostile planet, ruled by people with food. Scavengers tend to steal things from others, so you must learn to protect themselves. So, Rey included. If you don’t even look at the plot, Force Awakens used Rey to have a female lead role. Of course, they wouldn’t do the traditional dependent female role, which is why she was very independent and able to take care of herself. She refused Finn’s help, was able to resist Kylo’s force abilities, and escaped Starkiller (mostly) on her own. So I feel that is the main reason she has a staff, I would say instead of saying she was only good at a staff so she could be good at a lightsaber, I’d say she was only good at a lightsaber so she could be good with a staff. If that makes sense.

1 Like

Just saw TLJ, great film in my opinion. Solid 9.5/10

Things I loved:

Lukes Character - Made total sense to me the direction they went with, given the backstory of the plot

Snoke’s death - to me it led to great character development on Kylo’s part and so it was a worthy pay off seeing an interesting character killed off. Do hope we see his backstory tho

Fight scenes - particularly the opening space battle, just awesome stuff and showcased the different types of people within the Resistance

Finn’s scenes - they gave him great character development even though it didn’t impact the overall story and his failed sacrifice would have been better off successful

Po - felt his reasoning throughout tbh, pretty great guy.

Things I hated:

Admiral Holdo - she seemed stuck up to me and I know it’s standard military practice to not tell lower personnel about secret plans, but the Resistance was on the verge of destruction and people were abandoning because they didn’t know what was going on. And the plan wasn’t too much of a giant breakthrough anyway

But overall I loved it.

My order now goes:

RO

Rogue One and ROTS are interchangeable

2 Likes

I was talking to my dad about the film yesterday, and he had something interesting to say about Luke’s character. Some people are complaining about how “the real” Luke would never even think about killing Ben. But my dad mentioned that Luke thought about it for a split second, then completely regretted it. He said that Luke made brash decisions just like this in the originals. For example, attacking Sheev. So really, almost killing Ben is in character for Luke.

12 Likes

Why is shirtless kylo a thing?

2 Likes

Those that have this idea of “real Luke” have a rose-tinted pair of glasses that props Luke up as the most heroic, most powerful Jedi in all of existence. Clearly he isn’t actually like that because of his rash decisions in the Original Trilogy (leaving to confront Vader, giving into anger and trying to attack Palpatine, etc), but, well, some people are dumb.

7 Likes

Specifically, an EU-tinted pair of rose-colored glasses, as that’s where Luke is a nearly indestructible moral paragon that represents more of what they want.

2 Likes

Yeah people forget that Luke 100 percent is a killer

4 Likes

Yeah…

Most everything I love about the EU comes from the Old Republic or Prequel eras, not the Original Trilogy era because of how off the rails stuff got. The Thrawn Trilogy is awesome, but… a lot of other stuff I’ve seen is not.

Luke has never seemed like this ultimate Jedi warrior who could never do anything but the right thing. His story in Empire Strikes Back is about him struggling with the Force. After reading Heir to the Jedi, I kind of sat there for a moment afterword and thought “Man… Luke kinda sucks”. But that’s the point. He’s an ordinary person that goes on to achieve these great feats, making him relateable. In VIII when he contemplates killing Ben , it helps us see him as a regular person because he made a mistake based on a moment of fear.

2 Likes

It’s probably because Kylo is the best and every man watching wanted to see that.

I jokingly started fanning myself and going “hooo” during that scene

1 Like

I mean online

1 Like

The internet is dumb. I’ve just learned to accept that and move on.

3 Likes