Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Exept, the problem with that mindset, is that there trully can’t be something like pure good or light.

What you’re saying is similar to when other forces of good deceides that they need to impose order and good in the world… weather the people wants it or not.

This is the problem with ither 100% good or evil. Both can cause major problems in the end. And i can’t really say that the galaxy had peace even with the light side in control. There were still conflicts and wars happening while the Jedi had the high ground.

1 Like

The Jedi had the high ground, yes, but that doesn’t count as total control, as Darkness still exists. What I mean by total Light is just that: 100% control by the Light Side, with no Darkness at all. It may be impossible, but based upon Lucas’ vision, that’s the ultimate goal.

Also, there is a force of pure goodness out there…the Light Side itself. The rest might be in-between, but there’s at least something that is totally good.

I personally am more liking the idea of force users who can understand both sides of the force.

Which this discussion has reminded me of something, i remember reading something about the ideas on how a star wars movie that had a sith as the main character and the jedi as antagonists could work.

Can’t remember what it said, but it does make me wonder how interested you guys would be about a movie that showed us a different side of the Star Wars Galaxy instead of the common view we have had for a while now.

1 Like

I think Force users who practice both Light and Dark are fine, and we have many examples of them, most of which are favored characters among the fan base.

A new perspective for future movies is something I think is necessary. Star Wars can’t confine itself to the Skywalkers forever. Luckily, Rian Johnson’s new trilogy is supposed to occur in a new part of the Galaxy, in both location and time period.

Well, during the Jedi Order, Jedi were definitely in control over the Sith, and they became corrupted: not because of the dark side of the force (in some cases, yes), but because they had so much power with the force tipped in their favor. So, balance I believe is the true goal.

1 Like

Its funny how all the turmoil the dc fan base was in (which I’m not a part of because they’re bad films, also the fans of dc movies are literally the worst). Has moved over to Star Wars.

I’m getting the feeling that solo is going to have a similar response to bvs. I don’t know why it’s just a hunch.

While the Jedi were arrogant, and that was their secondary flaw, their fall was mostly due to darkside influence. Palpatine’s and Plagiues’ experiments had thrown the whole galaxy out of balance, and so by the time of the clone wars, the entirety of known space was under a cloud of the darkside, I believe.
Additionally, it wasn’t arrogance that caused the Jedi’s fall, it was how over time, the original teachings of the Jedi order had become distorted (I would recommend checking out the original Jedi code in comparison to the code from the clone wars). The clone wars code says “there is no emotion, only peace”, whereas the original code said “there is emotion, yet peace”. This is where the Jedi went wrong; the old Jedi order would never have told Anakin to not mourn or miss his Mother after her death, and instead would have said “there is death, yet the Force”. The Jedi fell because they had corrupted the light side into something different, not because balance requires a roughly even number of force users trained to roughly the same degree on both sides. Balance is not about head count, as Chronicler said, it is about the eradication of the Sith entirely, if not Darksiders on the whole. Sith bend and subvert the force to their will, and thus are in constant conflict with it. The Jedi, on the other hand, allow the force to flow through them, and thus they act as a vessel for it. Darth Vader completed the chosen one prophecy in episode 6 when he killed the last Sith, not in episode 3 when he sacked the Jedi temple.

Edit due to spelling mistake*

1 Like

Yes, but before Shieev rose to power in the Republic, the Jedi Order believed the Sith were completely vanquished, yet still were corrupted. I’m not too knowledgeable about the Old Republic era, so why did the Jedi Order that had the not distorted methods fall? What I see is that if light is in power, dark corrupts it, and if dark is in power, light peeks through. Light may be good, but there is no light without shadow, so the only way for there to be peace is if they are equal.

1 Like

I have looked into what you guys have said and well… it’s not right.

See, you two talk about the dark side like how some (and even the jedi durring the prequel era) view the dark side as not being an actual part of the force and instead see it as a cancer caused by the sith.

This is however wrong, as the Dark side do excist and has excisted long before the Sith order was around. the Sith are not the first users of the dark side, just the most well known ones.

Then one also have beings like the Son, who serves as the embodiment of the Dark side of the force. Now in the original plans for the mortis arc, the son was influenced by the ghosts of Bane and Revan, which would have fitted more in with you guys argument of the Sith corrupting the force for their own end, but this was cut from the episode and thus the Son’s actions are made by his own free will, and like how the sith teachings are about gaining personal freedom, so does the Son wishes his own freedom to do as he wishes.

i think this Reddit post can be of interest to read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■_a_cancer_of_the_force/

You see, the problem with these arguments, though, is that they aren’t rooted in the canon anymore. Much of the Ancient Dark Side lore was contained in the EU, and as you stated, the planned scene with the Son was not included in the final episode.

With that in mind, and supported by your statement that the Son freely chooses evil, the Dark Side can still be interpreted as an abomination of the Force. Yes, the Son does embody the Dark Side of the Force, but that side only exists because of the evil choices made by people. Without those choices, there would be no Dark Side of the Force, and helping people to make fewer evil choices is the purpose of the Jedi, much like morality and ethics function in the real world.

Umm… I don’t think that’s true…

1 Like

I’m not claiming that the Darkside is a cancer, and in fact I had specifically said that was not the case. The Sith, however, are. This is why the Chosen one prophecy states that the Chosen One will return balance to the force by defeating the Sith, whose very presence is an unbalance. It’s canon that Vader fulfilled the prophecy when he killed Sidious and himself, not when he killed all the Jedi in episode 3. Balance is not equal Sith and Jedi. Not to mention that in ep 3, Obi and Yoda aren’t the only Jedi left, and thus the equal head count idea is completely invalid.
@DarkHenrik I would recommend reading the book Plagieus. Despite being legends now, it is still supported by canon from the movies, and some comics and other sources as well. In the book it’s described how the Sith are constantly at war with the Force

It’s simple logic, albeit impossible in real life. The Dark Side is clearly related to evil in the Star Wars Universe, and evil does not have to exist. When we see opposites mentioned in Star Wars (such as Rey’s contact with the Force on Ahch-To), it’s important to note that none of them are truly evil. Life, Death, Peace, Chaos, etc. are simply states of being–there’s nothing good or evil about them objectively. Thus, none of them are firmly connected to either Light or Dark.

Where the two sides of the Force come into play is in moral decisions. When someone decides to do good, they use the Force in a good way (the Light Side) whereas someone who does bad uses it in a bad way (the Dark Side). The only way we can characterize an action as stemming from the Light Side or the Dark Side is by its moral character, whether it is driven by love or hate. The Force is the Force, and it does have sides, but only because people create those sides by their actions. If the Force was all that existed in the Galaxy, everything would likely appear more neutral to us, because the natural processes driven by the Force are neither good nor evil.

That’s just my interpretation…

1 Like

Yes, but, no one can be perfectly light or perfectly dark. Obi-Wan used rage to defeat Maul. Mace Windu nearly killed Sidious out of rage. Luke nearly killed Vader out of rage. So, while the dark side is a choice they are making, it is not really possible to say there can be all light or all dark while life still exists. At least, I think that’s what you’re saying. I don’t really know, I pay more attention to characters than the force.

Also, I just looked the Force up on Wookiepedia, and it said that the primary users of each side were the Jedi and the Sith.

2 Likes

You got what I was saying, and I think that it is impossible so long as intelligent life exists in the Galaxy. All I really wanted to point out is that the Force itself is technically neither good nor evil, but that its sides are created by moral decisions.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with you completely until you say the light and dark are created by desicions. It’s been a while since I’ve seen the Mortis Clone Wars episodes, but that would probably be good to check out. They might say something on the matter.

You know that since everyone got mad about this it means that. We aren’t going to get any different from Star Wars. It means we’re going to get more of them going back to the nostalgia that everyone loves, that’s what rogue one was that’s what I assume Han Solo’s going to be.

Also,I just want to ask. Is this what it’s like to defend batman v Superman?

No, because Batman v Superman is objectively bad, while the argument for Episode VIII can go either way. There’s stuff to defend in The Last Jedi, where there is very little to defend in BvS. Also, I feel it’s not a 50/50 split with that one. More people hate it than don’t.

3 Likes

Good and bad are points of view, my young 'prentice.
Just kidding. I will not argue in favor of Batman vs Superman.
Anyway, Yoda was probably the most powerful Force-user while alive who also transcended or whatever into the Force, plus he’s a Muppet, so I’m inclined to trust his canonical lectures on the nature of the Force.

1 Like

I still don’t understand why this movie is disliked by some people.

2 Likes