Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Don’t they? Besides, there are only three or four actual lasers used in Star Wars.

An A-Wing did it in the Battle of Endor, though not through hyperspace. I’m a little confused what you mean by this.

And Dreadnoughts have gravity, why the Executor crashes into the Death Star in RoJ. Or perhaps they’re connected to the massive power surges below it, or maybe even just shot/thrown down versus dropped.

1 Like

no, they don’t, given they’re lasers in space
the supremacy seems to forget that though

I don’t remember they part you’re talking about, could you send a link?

i believe it’s most visible in the tie silencer scene

Well, clearly every single ship in the franchise has artificial gravity on the inside, regardless of mass. The bombs started off falling within the ship’s gravity field Which is inexplicably pointing downward but that’s irelevant and then inertia did the rest. Maybe the First Order ship’s mass helped them along.

3 Likes

Oh? Care to provide scenes? After all hyperspace itself looks like ftl.

They fall from the artificial gravity in the bomber, and maintain momentum in a downwards path[quote=“HewksDKowlihad, post:528, topic:20045”]
but i dont see ship lasers arcing in any other star wars media
[/quote]

They’re not lasers, it’s plasma, which would have a limited range

yeah, i know it’s superheated tibanna gas, but same difference
it’s more likely that blaster fire merely dissipates after leaving effective range rather than arcing
in space

like i get it’s supposed to invoke world-war-era batleship fire arcing, but a 6-pounder gun is far different from a turbolaser

Yeah that’s fair, my best guess is that it’s curving towards the Raddus’s gravity as it being a gas means very little gravity would be needed to slightly arc it

1 Like

And he didn’t even learn about that until much later, lol.

And he held that belief with Ben as well. But one slight single moment of doubt that faded as fast as it appeared was enough to push Ben over the edge.

As far as losing faith goes, everything he did in the Original Trilogy built up his faith. Vader’s turn proved he was right that the light side would prevail, and Palpatine was defeated. Fast forward, and as Luke learns more and more about the Jedi Order of old, small seedlings of doubt creep in. The light side may always prevail, but were the Jedi really all they were cracked up to be? If it hadn’t been for some of their rules and hubris, Palpatine wouldn’t have been able to rise in the first place. They’re as much to blame for the creation of the Empire as Sidious or Vader are.

But, Luke has the chance to start fresh. He has his own order, his own school. He can do things right. Make a new Jedi Order that lives up to the legend. Until Ben. That swirling cloud of conflicted allegiances could plunge the galaxy into a new era of darkness. A very human mistake is made for a split second, and that future is set. Ben Solo is now Kylo Ren. The New Jedi Order is destroyed. Luke is all that remains. Again. The First Order begins it’s march across the galaxy, and for the second time in less than sixty years, the Jedi have unwittingly created the oppression that threatens everyone, when they were supposed to be the safeguards against it.

Luke doesn’t so much lose his faith in the Light Side of the Force as he does himself and the Jedi. If he had no faith in the Force at all, he wouldn’t have ever agreed to train Rey. And whose to say he still doesn’t believe that there isn’t any light left in Ben? He stated that activating that saber was a mistake born of reflex and instinct, and that he instantly regretted it. Ben might have fallen to the Dark Side in that moment, but that doesn’t mean Luke doesn’t believe there isn’t still good in him.

Even as he “faces down” the entire First Order on Crait, the only person Luke blames for Kylo’s actions is himself. Luke sees himself and the Jedi ways as the problem, hence the solitude.

The bombs are able to “drop” through space because they are magnetically drawn toward their targets.

Source: The Last Jedi visual dictionary written by Pablo Hidalgo, and hence canon.

Wookiepedia would like to have a word with you…

“Hyperspace was an alternate dimension that could only be reached by traveling at or faster than the speed of light.”

Argue about whether or not you’d be able to hit something whilst doing this, fine, but it is faster than light travel.

4 Likes

Hitting something with it would undoubtedly be difficult, as seen by the fact that even though the supremacy is a huge target and she seems to aim for the center(I infer this due to the positioning of the final shot facing outwards from within the bridge) Holdo misses her intended target by a bit, hitting the left side of the ship. Though despite plausibility I have to say, at least for me it’s the most beautifully done scenes in all of star wars.

1 Like

Whilst that might be able to explain the momentum, they’d still be rather slow in my opinion.

I view it as using a brief moment of FTL to then travelling through hyperspace, I suppose the definition does leave it up to interpretation but I dislike the fact that the sacrifice Holdo made is the first instance of this capability.

I mean, Dreadnoughts have two massively cannons preparing to fire that’s probably pretty easy to fire…

And Han makes a comment in ANH about calculating Hyperspace routes so they don’t run into a star or anything.

In the wookiepedia entry (I’ve been reading up), it states that things like stars have a “shadow” in the hyperspace dimension, this is most likely what he is referring to even if the logic was done later.

There always had to be a first time for something, so why not Holdo’s sacrifice?

this explanation always has bothered me, if the bombs are magnetic, wouldn’t they just attach to the bomber ship first? I mean the bombs in the movie are held pretty close to the inside walls so wouldn’t they immediately attach to the ship?

1 Like

The ship’s internal gravity makes more sense

i have seen people explain that the bombs that were dropped by the TIE Bombers, were not dropped like bomber planes, but are launched out of the bomb chute. I looked into the Star Wars vehicle book i own, and i could not find any mention of there being a launcher for the Proton Bombs on the TIE Bomber, but it does mention that there are targeting sensors under the drop chute.

anyway, launching the bombs sound a bit more understandable than just dropping them in the vacuum of space. It’s also why most of the bombers type ships in Star Wars are loaded with missiles.

The best explenation that could have be used to explain the Resistance Bombers, would be to say that they are ships not used in space combat but instead for bombing runs on planets. which would also go to show how desperate the Resistance are, if they have to use ships that are not even built for space combat. If they used that as the explanation, then the bombers would probably not have received as much complaint.

1 Like

Last Jedi was far from perfect but adequate in my opinion. It had a great feel to it, had writing that I found interesting, and some well done action scenes. Cons to me are, a couple of plot holes, unnecessary (Holdo should’ve lived…) and poorly done kill-offs (…and ackbar should’ve made the sacrifice), and Rose.

1 Like

Ackbar would have never been allowed to do so

I don’t understand why not