Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Oh? From what I’ve seen he’s not acted like a toddler at all. Maybe a bit of an overreaction, but not to such an extreme.

1 Like

Every. Single. Time.

Once I can understand but he refuses to accept any criticism. It’s all our fault; he didn’t make a bad movie no it’s our fault.

As stated this only reflects badly on Disney becuase they hire these morons. It’s why while I did like captain marvel I absolutely despise Brie Larson.

1 Like

Ask the people who didn’t like TLJ, not me.

I mean, have you actually seen his tweets? They aren’t refuting criticism. In fact he’s quite understanding of actual criticism.

1 Like

You’re making some pretty dramatic and serious claims about a high-profile creator. Would you be able to show screenshots of the precise tweets you’re referring to?

3 Likes

Just because he is high profile doesn’t mean we can’t criticise him.

1 Like

Very true. But his being a celebrity doesn’t give people the right to lambaste him without very concrete evidence either.

There is definitely a very vocal section of the online community that didn’t like it. But to say that those who enjoyed the film are “in the minority”? That may be a very difficult statement to prove.

5 Likes

Look around: if the ones who disliked it aren’t the absolute majority, they definetely are somewhere between 45-60%.

I’m not sure how we could realistically “look around”. The folks bothering to post their opinions online are usually the ones who either really loved something or really hated it. Canvassing Star Wars message boards definitely wouldn’t give us a representative sample of audiences who watched the movie.

There generally seems to be this crack between the fanbase present evwrywhere you look, YT, critics, etc. You can argue that the ones who disliked it are more vocal, and they are, but this doesn’t mean that they are fewer than the ones who liked it.

The point is that our sample size is far too limited to really get a clear view of The Last Jedi’s true reception. It’s far too bold to give any kind of percentage on who did and didn’t like it, because some get more attention than others.

2 Likes

There will never be an accurate percantage, as we can’t go on and ask every single chad that saw TLJ what he thought about it. However, at least from what I saw, the ones who disliked it are more common.

I find the language here interesting; Vladin using words like “chad”, Khalsa using words like “moron” or “baby”. If you want an argument to be taken seriously, don’t resort to ad hominem. It’s not a good idea.

5 Likes

Yes, that is quite the interesting detail

I am not sure how accurate it is, but Rotten Tomatoes might help. According to it, only 44% of the audience liked it.

It was close to midnight and I really didn’t want an argue, so I used the first things that came to mind to finish it asap.

Basically I think that the movie’s attempt to subvert our expectations weakened the over all story. @Holi believes that the movie’s attempt to subvert our expectations worked to strengthen the story. We disagree on that, but it’s okay to do so.

4 Likes

That doesn’t count. That was Ryan wanting to twist our expectations.

Same here. He wasn’t going for a RotJ rehash, but his expectations thing.

Same happened in Rogue One. Does this mean it was a rehash of Empire?

People are talking about the throne room scene; I think of of the main problems is that in ROTJ that was part of the final battle; in TLJ the saved the climactic boss battle for the middle of a trilogy.

It’s like if marvel had done something as huge as endgame earlier in like phase 2; it just wouldn’t have worked at all having a grand scale confrontation twice in the same story.

2 Likes

I think it 100% counts. Whether or not it was intentional, it’s an obvious similarity.

My argument isn’t that that was intentional, but it’s there. Also, I’m decently certain that this one is far too perfect for it to be just coincidence.

No, no, no… Not a simple Star Destroyer, but a grand, “super” Star Destroyer. You have the Executor in RotJ and the Supremacy (call the movie whatever, I feel like that’s a far better name for a ship).

Which, if you look at Rian Johnson’s “obsession with subversion,” is kind of a neat thing to do. He killed Snoke, made a lot of people (including myself) disappointed, but now we have no idea how this next movie is going to end. They already used their RotJ ending, what are they going to do, use RotS’? We just have no idea what can happen here, because they have no more Star Wars movies to pay homage to. That’s a scary feeling, and some are upset about it, but it’s kind of enthralling at the same time.

2 Likes