Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Man I already kinda forgot the context of it.
No, it was counting if he was doing it to rehash RotJ. But he did it to subvert expectations.
Dude. I don’t care if ones tge most advanced version of the other. Their still considered the same thing by the average fan.

Yes it does

Hey, Rise of Skywalker is going to be nothing but a blank screen for 3 hours to subvert our expectations.

3 Likes

I’d be down; they can’t kill Ackbar again

Honestly, that’s the thing about Last Jedi that irks me the most: a fan-favorite character (as well as my favorite) goes down with no heroism, no sacrifice, and no consequence to the plot. He was literally named “Mr. Star Wars” by Wookiepedia that year. Instead, we have Holdo, a character the movie intentionally sets up for us to hate, having one of the coolest deaths, most epic sacrifices in the entire franchise.

What if Nien Nunb is next? Will he die for no reason?

Lando is safe from a meaningless death, I’m certain. He’ll matter, whether he ends up alive or dead by the end.

3 Likes

I know! It bugs me to no end! He’s a veteran of 2 wars, the clone wars, and the rebellion against the empire, just to die with no fanfare in the resistance?

I don’t get it.

1 Like

Well, hey. Not everybody in real life who deserves a glorious end gets one, do they? Ackbar’s death has never bothered me, because really, it is a realistic look at warfare. People die suddenly and sometimes with no fanfare at all. It’s not fair, but it’s life.

1 Like

No consequence to the plot of this movie, but his death rallies the entire population of Mon Cala to the side of the Resistance from what we can tell from the Journey to The Rise of Skywalker comics that have been coming out. His son Aftab will be leading the charge.

2 Likes

How exactly does the movie “set us up to hate Holdo”? By showing her putting reckless-and-trigger-happy-flyboy-pilot Poe Dameron in his place? Cuz that’s something Leia was already doing in the opening scenes of the movie. Holdo was simply doing her best to honor the wishes of a friend she’s known for almost 40 years (as established in the excellent Leia Princess of Alderaan YA novel).

2 Likes

Maybe she’s not set up to be hated but she’s definitely hated. Nobody likes her.

That’s quite the blanket statement. You may be hearing a lot of hardcore Star Wars enthusiasts complain endlessly online about characters like Holdo in The Last Jedi, but that doesn’t mean that “nobody likes her”. Statements like that are hyperbolic, inflammatory and very hard to prove. I for one really like Holdo’s character (mainly thanks to that prequel novel I previously mentioned).

All that being said, people’s reaction to Holdo in TLJ is definitely worth analyzing. Why did so many of these super-fans appear to hate Holdo’s guts? I don’t have an answer right now, but it’s something that I’ll be looking into.

3 Likes

Who wants to bet that to subvert our expectations, they’ll just air the holiday special instead of the Rise of Skywalker

2 Likes

guess I’m nobody

1 Like

As far as the audience is aware, for the first part of the movie, Holdo is leading the last of the Rebellion to their deaths with no plan. It gets to the point where Poe has to lead a mutiny, to save the resistance from Holdo. She’s set up as an antagonist, arguably a villain, for the first half of the movie – definitely not someone the audience is supposed to like.

~W12~

2 Likes

She was set up as an antagonist. You’re not really supposed to like the antagonist, at least not in this case.

Okay, not only does this make my day, but I’m finally excited for this movie. I am now nearly certain that Aftab is the Mon Calamari I witnessed in the trailer, and I’m elated.

1 Like

Ditto. I like this alot.

1 Like

If Lumpawaroo doesn’t become the new Emperor, I’m leaving.

1 Like

But will Han and Chewie make it to the Lifeday celebration!?!

3 Likes

So, I’ve been thinking about luke, his arc reminds me of Yoda’s. To the point in actually wondering if 1-3 came out first how’d people would react to Yoda in 5.

1 Like

They would react exactly the same, because Yoda’s reasons for exile are thoroughly explained by 1-3. Luke’s reasons are given a half-hearted flashback.

There’s also a major difference in the circumstances surrounding their exiles. Yoda went to Dagobah because the Galaxy had completely turned against his kind. He had about 5 allies who could potentially help him, and an entire Empire that was hunting him. Contrastingly, Luke had many allies, most notably his sister and the entire New Republic, whom he easily could have joined if he wanted to fight. Luke exiling himself is not inherently a bad concept–George Lucas in fact had a similar idea for him in his original plan for the Sequel Trilogy–but TFA and TLJ did a rather poor job making Luke’s decision convincing to the audience, particularly since he had faced odds that were arguably just as great before, and not given up hope…

2 Likes

One could even argue that before the firing of Starkiller Base, the odds were overwhelmingly in Luke’s favour.

1 Like