Star Wars: The Last Jedi

and should we trust the director? he might be hiding info from us, or maybe is just an error with the translation

In this case I say trust him. I don’t think Luke is going to be training Rey to become a Jedi. Force user, yes, but not a Jedi. As Luke says in the trailer “it’s time for the Jedi to end”, making him the last, and anyone who comes after him will be a new breed of Force user.

2 Likes

not really… you see, because of the holocrons, new force users could learn about the jedi way or the sith way.

one can’t really say that because of Kylo Ren and Rey, there will then be no more Jedi or Sith. Unless Luke or the First Order have gone around hunting for every holocron and destroyed them, there really is no reason to belive that the ways of the Sith or Jedi are dead for good now in the future stories of Star Wars.

Most of the Jedi and Sith holocrons have been destroyed. The Star Wars comics series touches on this. A Hutt who collected Jedi artifacts had a very large collection of Holocrons and other Jedi material, but the Empire confiscated his collection for destruction (granted we don’t see the holocrons get destroyed, but…).

Without them, very hard for anyone to learn the ways of either side.

4 Likes

according to the lore for Kylo Ren, he was given Jedi and Sith holocrons by Snoke for the purpose of training. Unless you want to argue that those too were destroyed, then the lore is still making it clear that there are still holocrons out there. Just because one Hutt had a collection of Holocrons, that does not mean that they were all that was left of the knowledge of the Sith and Jedi (plus it would be a massive waste to just destroy the knowledge like that). Also the new force users made by the new trilogy films would have no knowledge on how to pass on their teachings to a new era, as they have no knowledge on how to make a holocron. The only way they would be able to do that would be by personally train each new force users and really, it would be rather unlikely that they might even do that, because what reason would they have currently to train a new era of force users.

2 Likes

Correct, but the implication throughout most canon media has been that a vast majority of holocrons are gone. I’m sure Snoke did give Ren access to a few that were left, but when the Jedi Archive had a giant library full of potentially thousands of holocrons and most of those get destroyed, you lose a significant chunk of information.

That was actually kind of the point. Palpatine and Vader did everything they could to make sure information on the Jedi was wiped out. That included destroying holocrons.

That’s one of the more interesting parts of this new Trilogy IMO. The Force has woven it’s way into so many cultures across the galaxy (The Lasat and the Ashla) and for thousands of years, there was lots of information on it, but almost overnight it was all lost when Palpatine took power, and then again when he and Vader died. Through novels and comics, it’s been shown that Luke has a lot of natural talent, but still knows next to nothing about the Force, and that’s even factoring in his training with Yoda. The next generation of Force users that Luke has trained is probably being taught by verbal teachings without much “written” material because of the substantial amount of information that was lost.

And that’s the reason I think Episode VIII is called The Last Jedi, because Luke is the last of the Jedi that will ever exist, and whatever he trains going forward, or whoever becomes proficient in the force on their own will not be able to be Jedi or Sith as we have known them. It’s like if a major world religion here on Earth were to lose 95% of it’s written material and it was illegal to practice that religion for close to 30 years. Whoever tries to pick it back up isn’t going to be able to make it exactly as it was before, even from getting first hand accounts from people that had practiced it in the past. There’s just no feasible way for that to happen.

3 Likes

nobody posted this yet?

it seems quite boring

1 Like

It saw a post in the SW topic and in the patreon chat.

No offense, but that is an insane thing to say.

6 Likes

that’s just my opinion, I see nothing interesting in the trailer, I do find weird that Finn is using the TrAiToR staff

2 Likes

Yeah, I can get that; I mean, I don’t agree, because this trailer blew my mind and I watched it six times, but I respect that. Sorry, that kind of was a knee-jerk reaction.

I enjoyed it. I like where this movie is heading.

I’m worried aboit it copying ESB and the direction with Kylo but overall im hyped.

4 Likes

From what the trailer looks like, I think the only thing that will be close to Empire is that the bad guys attack the good guys at their base, but I feel like that’s getting pushed to the 3rd act instead of being at the end of the first. Also, a Jedi in training with a wise master teaching them. This is kind of how I think the plot structure will be-

Act 1- First Order attacks the D’Qar Resistance base immediately after the loss of Starkiller Base, since they know where it was considering Starkiller was going to fire on it. This will be more space battle than ground battle (thus eliminating Empire parallels) and features the Kylo-Leia scene from the trailer (if it wasn’t footage spliced together from different scenes). Rey begins her training.

Act 2- Resistance falls back to Crait, an old Rebel Alliance base featured in an upcoming MARVEL Star Wars comic and the YA Leia: Princess of Alderaan novel (good read). Finn, having woken up from his coma goes undercover with Rose on Canto Bight to find a way to infiltrate the First Order. This is where we encounter DJ (who is totally not the Star Wars version of the Collector). The act ends with either the First Order arriving at Crait, or attacking Atch To, having somehow tracked the Falcon there. This is where we get our Rey and Kylo scene (again, if it wasn’t footage spliced together from different scenes).

Act 3- Begins with either the First Order arriving on Crait from Atch To or beginning their attack. Most of the third act is the final battle and involves Kylo bringing Rey to Snoke, who then all fight eachother. Finn sabotages the First Order Star Destroyer, leading to a fight with Phasma and wins the day. Snoke either dies or gets away with Kylo in tow, or with Kylo going off on his own. Rey meets back up with the Resistance and Luke reunites with Leia. Unless they kill off Leia during the battle because of Carrie Fisher, which leads to a bunch of changes for what would have been IX.

Time will tell if I’m right.

3 Likes

You seem to forget Canto Blight as well, which has a ton of similarities to Cloud City.

1 Like

First of all, no ‘L’. It’s Bight, not Blight. Although Blight actually sounds cooler.

Second, I don’t see too many similarities between the two. Canto Bight is basically Vegas in space. It’s not a space-station in the clouds of a gas giant, it’s nestled in a coastal city on a desert planet. It also seems to be a legitimate operation, unlike Cloud City which Lando tried to keep on the down-low as much as possible. The only real connection between the two is that they’re both a fancy place for our heroes to visit and one is a gambling place while the other was run by a gambler. It’s not exactly a cut and paste Cloud City like how Maz’s castle was a cut and paste Mos Eisley.

If that’s enough of a similarity to you, then fine, but they seem pretty different to me.

1 Like

The thing that got me the the most excited was seeing Finn fighting phasma. They’ve been making her a much more competent character in the comic and apparently in the book too but I haven’t read it. And I really enjoy Finn as a character. I’m happy there’s still a lot of stuff they haven’t shown such as rose and dj.

3 Likes

It’s super similar. Both are wealthy cities located in isolation. No doubt there’s gonna be a huge plot point there too.

1 Like

Do we know for a fact that Cloud City was a wealthy city? Those tend to attract attention, which is something Lando wanted to avoid. Granted, I’m sure he had all sorts of underworld connections to keep the place on the down-low until the Empire inadvertently found them. I was always more under the impression that it was a great place for regular people to earn an honest living (with their homemade ice cream machines) and Lando was basically the only social elite the place had.

It looks nice and pristine, which may give off an air of wealth, but I still don’t see much similarities between the two. Canto Bight is just too different in my eyes to be similar to Cloud City, even if it ends up serving a similar plot function.

You forget that Lando was trying to become an honest man in Cloud City. The city was a gas mining facility, making it incredibly wealthy. The people in Cloud City look wealthy.

4 Likes

The similarities we have seen between ESB and TLJ are quite noticeable, even with the limited amount of information we have so far (I’m gonna use my own names for the new planets/vehicles/etc. cuz I’m too lazy to learn everything):

• The most obvious comparison is that the film has a huge battle on a predominantly white planet between giant AT-ATs and speeders. From a glance, it doesn’t look like they changed the dynamic of the battle itself too much, although it seems that the FO has air support now, a variable the Empire lacked in ESB. Nonetheless, it’s hard not to compare Whitey McReddust planet to Hoth.

• There’s a luxurious city in the middle of nowhere that will let our heroes look fancy and stuff. Sure, Space Vegas isn’t in the sky, but it’s similar in the fact that it’s isolated beyond belief.

• An old guy is training an up and coming force user in an isolated planet that’s primarily water-based. I’ll admit that the twist on the whole thing is interesting ( It’s a nice reversal of why Yoda didn’t want to teach Luke; Instead of being inexperienced and stupid, Rey is too powerful.) , but it’s hard not to see the similarity.

Those are the three bigger points I’ve noticed. There’s also a few smaller things that make me a bit fearful of the kinda high possibility that we’re dealing with an ESB clone, like that shot of Leia looking at the Resistance base’s doors close.

6 Likes