Star Wars Topic

I feel like the Senate wouldn’t have done a purge, though, as there were plenty of Senators who supported the Jedi (I.e. Bail, Padme), and who were very influential in the Senate. They likely would’ve been able to convince the others against a purge, or at least a majority. Legislative bodies, as a whole, would have difficulty going through with such a radical decision, what with the political fallout that would result.

1 Like

But it did. Palpatine is the Senate after all.

2 Likes

Hey I thought memes weren’t allowed

3 Likes

He becomes Darth Vader. Pretty sure that has more significance than any pod race…

4 Likes

what have I started?

2 Likes

Just because it was doesn’t mean that every citizen inside of the boarders was a practicing Christian. By law, yes, they were all technically Christians, but that doesn’t mean they were all practicing members.

Oh, I see what you’re saying. Witnesses wouldn’t be there, but Palpatine engaged them in a duel. If he would have been struck down in said duel, it would have most likely been by lightsaber strike. Pretty incriminating evidence.

Also, there have to had been security cameras there. Since Palpatine won, of course he had them scrubbed, but if the Jedi had won, they would’ve said “look at the tapes”, and that’s a whole other can of worms. Prosecutors in a court case would’ve claimed Palpatine defended himself (the Jedi did draw lightsabers first). Probably would’ve also questioned if Palpatine’s motives were even bad. There would probably be no way to know what he had actually been planning. Maybe some incriminating evidence about talking to both sides, but Sidious was crafty. Doubt any of that would have been traceable.

Actually this could be a really cool “what if” storyline, “The Trial of the Jedi Order”… Dark Horse is publishing Legends stuff now a days…

Ah, ok. I quite like the look of Mustafar itself, but isn’t that “serves no obvious purpose” thing kinda a Star Wars trope in general? What was the point of the place Vader and Luke fought on in Episode V. A lot of that was the lower levels of the Carbon Freezing Chamber, but why a big hole?

Oh wow, you’re very hard to please. The music, the emotion on the faces, little dialogue, so it’s basically just visual story telling as you watch these tormented people just think? Nothing about that strikes your fancy?

To each his own, I suppose. I love that sequence.

Again, he had been having doubts the entire movie. His killing of Dooku “[wasn’t] the Jedi way”, he was asked to spy on the Republic’s head and commit treason, and the Counsel rejected making him a master. The counsel in a matter of days seemed to be going against the one thing Anakin still mostly believed in. If Windu would just murder Palpatine just on the basis that he thinks he’s evil, what really is the difference between Jedi and Sith? As cringy as some people think it is the “from my point of view the Jedi are evil!” line rings true. The Jedi stooped to the levels of the Sith and broke their own code, finally breaking Anakin’s faith in the Order. Where else can he turn than to the man who claims he could save his wife?

Ok, granted, based on my phrasing there, I suppose he did change in the blink of an eye, but it wasn’t “just 'cause”. There were reasons why he flip flopped sides that showed why it was a long time coming.

Benedict Arnold turned in the blink of an eye, but that had been a long time coming too.

Having the bullet points of what happened written down and actually showing how and why they happened on film is different IMO.

That’s being from the perspective of an (adult? teenager? Sorry, don’t know age here). 9 in 10 kids ages 8 and younger will laugh at Jar Jar’s antics, which is doing his job, and keeping the kids happy. Like I said,

He’s not perfect, but he does his job.

Well if we want to look at this from the Legends lens, at the beginning of Episode III, Mace Windu had just done a number on his vitals. Grievous was weakened and wounded, without any time to heal before battling Kenobi, hence his basic defense and run tactics on Utapau.

Otherwise, they changed the style of attacker Grievous was between iterations of show. The Micro Series presented him as a lightning fast cyborg ninja. The Clone Wars preferred him as a heavy hitter who wore his opponents down over time with fancy tricks (like the four arms) or by cheating (“Lair of Grievous”). Either way, he’s a skilled warrior, it just falls to personal preference which one you prefer, but I don’t think they “ruined” the character per se.

George didn’t make any sequels. That’s Disney. George made Prequels.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

He went to Luke because after Anakin became Vader, Obi-Wan DID stop believing in Anakin. Go watch the Rebels Recon episode for “Zero Hour”, which has a reader question about the previous episode “Twin Suns” which featured Old Ben. Pablo Hidalgo, one of the story heads at Lucasfilm goes into a bit of dialogue between Maul and Old Ben concerning Luke.

7:00 mark. Spoilers for Star Wars: Rebels, obviously.

HAHAHAH! That’s a great one. That’s one I actually haven’t heard before.

I dunno but your grabdson better finish it.

2 Likes

I know man I was more joking, but he is a Jedi and they should know what species their powers don’t work on.

You miss the point.

The Catholic Church couldn’t kick itself out.[quote=“prentice1215, post:591, topic:651”]
Pretty incriminating evidence.
[/quote]

Um, you’re forgetting the part where I said “Sith”.

In a world where the intergalactic terrorism is being headed by Sith puppets, it’s not out of the question to frame the good chancellor’s death on a sith.[quote=“prentice1215, post:591, topic:651”]
Also, there have to had been security cameras there.
[/quote]

Hm, Force users - high masters of the force - entering a room with security devices, and not giving a hoot about them… Sounds like something out of the prequels.[quote=“prentice1215, post:591, topic:651”]
What was the point of the place Vader and Luke fought on in Episode V. A lot of that was the lower levels of the Carbon Freezing Chamber, but why a big hole?
[/quote]

Flying city in the clouds of a highly gaseous planet. Dude, you kinda need waste disposal. Or a ventilation system so people don’t pass out from the lack of air.[quote=“prentice1215, post:591, topic:651”]
The music, the emotion on the faces, little dialogue, so it’s basically just visual story telling as you watch these tormented people just think? Nothing about that strikes your fancy?
[/quote]

Hm, there seems to be a lack of thinking, or shall we say, “acting”. We’re talking about a tormented Jedi who turns to the dark side, yes? Well Hayden Christiansen can act better than that. His other movies prove it.[quote=“prentice1215, post:591, topic:651”]
Again, he had been having doubts the entire movie. His killing of Dooku “[wasn’t] the Jedi way”, he was asked to spy on the Republic’s head and commit treason, and the Counsel rejected making him a master. The counsel in a matter of days seemed to be going against the one thing Anakin still mostly believed in. If Windu would just murder Palpatine just on the basis that he thinks he’s evil, what really is the difference between Jedi and Sith?
[/quote]

See the problem here? it’s called acting, and the lack of such. George must’ve wanted impassive slates, because aside from a few outbursts on little orphan Ani’s part, there’s nearly no acted sign of tension. It’s all heavy amounts of implication to make you think there’s some skill involved, probably due to the writers trying to fix some of George’s decision making.[quote=“prentice1215, post:591, topic:651”]
As cringy as some people think it is the “from my point of view the Jedi are evil!” line rings true.
[/quote]

Wrong. It should have been “The Jedi Are Evil!!” not “I have an opinion of such”. We’re talking about a newly founded Sith lord, with more built-up rage than any of them. So why is he resorting to petty threats? spitting off little jabs instead of full-on rage? he’s supposed to be a Sith, not a grumpy five-year-old. The only options are the dialogue was gutted as it went through George’s hands, or Anakin is as big an idiot as I said he is.[quote=“prentice1215, post:591, topic:651”]
Go watch the Rebels
[/quote]

Oh, Disney.

Actually, let’s not. George made these movies, not the house of mouse.[quote=“Kivax8, post:593, topic:651”]
I was more joking, but
[/quote]

Um[quote=“Kivax8, post:593, topic:651”]
he is a Jedi and they should know what species their powers don’t work on.
[/quote]

Because all Jedi have experienced mind-tricking the mind-trick proof species? maybe that’s an unnecessary part of the training, because of how ridiculous the circumstances are of any one Jedi meeting and mind-tricking a Hutt or a Toydarian?

2 Likes

I’ll admit, you have me beat there. There have been times during the clone wars where jedi have met toydarians but I can’t be bothered to see if they tried to use their abilities on them.

Exactly. That’s my whole point. If he hadnt won the podrace, he would never have left Tattooine, never become a Jedi, never become Darth Vader, and never would have destroyed the Sith.

Oh, come on.

They could have mcguffin’d him off the planet literally any other way than “Oh here’s a brand-new sport never seen in star wars despite being the biggest backwater hit since sliced bread”. I’ll make a free treat of one:

Ani can do some weird levitation thing with his mind. His mother thinks he has some kind of problem and forbids him from doing it around watto. Qui-Gon Cop shows up and talks about the force, Ani actually does use the force in front of him, Qui-Gon is deathly impressed and measures his force capabilities (over 3000).

With the info that he is now dealing with the chosen one to bring balance to the force, he has to find some way to get him off the planet. Much more likely than racing, the inhabitants of a Hutt-Controlled tatooine are into gladiatoral match-ups. Qui-Gon enters and exists nearly flawlessly, and it racks in so much money for Jabba that the suspicion of the long-haired fighter cheating is far beyond his thought process. Watto cannot convince the Hutt that the fighter used the force, so he has no choice but to give up Ani to Good Cop.

For a final jab at Ani’s force capabilities, Darth maul shows up just before they leave. Mau races towards him on the desert sands, about to collide with Ani, he unintentionally uses a force push and knocks the rider off his machine. Good Cop tells him to still get in the ship, duels a bit with Maul, and then leaves.

And yes, this is something I just thought up while writing this post, so what if we had a couple talented writers and a willing director? we’d get a good movie. Too bad that isn’t what we got.

5 Likes

That’s fair. And, admittedly, I would have loved it a lot more than the podrace.

But that doesn’t change the fact that in canon, the podrace is what got Anakin off of Tattooine. I’m not saying the podrace is the greatest thing ever, I’m just trying to prove that it is, in fact, an incredibly important moment in Star Wars history.

Tatooine is in no way a backwater. bottom of the barrel, but not backwater. That place is the center of organized crime in the galaxy. You know, Jabba lives there.

Well…

Sure, you might be able to make a case for this, but that still doesn’t change the fact that this was a poor choice and that we still didn’t need an entire movie about kid Anakin in the first place.

1 Like

I mean in the trilogy at least. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The films try very hard to disprove you.

The fact that podracing exists appears to effect nearly nothing but that one town on Tatooine, as it’s never mentioned again, never implied that it’s big, as we only see obvious residents of tatooine attend the occasion, and never see any one podracer who looks like a world-renouned champion. All we get is Sebulba, who has proven to be a four-limbed slug who fills time.

2 Likes

Gonna reopen the prequel can of worms. These films are filled with a lot of filler that doesn’t really need to be there. That’s part of why they feel so long and drawn out. Some of the things pointed out might have been good if the execution was better and there wasn’t a ton of pointless talking mixed in.

3 Likes

And thus the war continued…

But yeah this topic has been really dead.

2 Likes