Star Wars Topic

Star wars episode IX: groundhog day

6 Likes

I like the current canon more and how they can cherry pick the best stuff. There’s a lot of good stuff in the EU, but come on there’s some ridiculous stuff in there (luuke, and the emperor hopping from clone body to clone body). And Star Wars does not need other dimensions, they tried that in the Han Solo comic and it did not go well.

1 Like

Tell Exar Kun and Darth Revan that they don’t exist anymore. See where that gets you.

Exar Kun and Darth Revan aren’t real

As @Kivax8 said, the problem with incorporating the EU into the new canon is the fact that it was often self-contradictory. Very few stories were collaborative, meaning that they often contained minor or major contradictions that resulted in them being placed on different levels of canonocity. With the new canon, you don’t necessarily have to excise the EU, as the entire history of Star Wars is essentially a blank slate. A lot of EU concepts and characters have been hinted at, and even overtly included, most notably Grand Admiral Thrawn.

I don’t think it will work well to have the original EU be an alternate dimension, because that detracts from the events in the core Galaxy. Alternate realities make for effective reboots, but Disney is nowhere near reboot mode with their Star Wars canon, so doing that now is probably not a great idea.

1 Like

Don’t forget Sheev’s three-eyed son and the force-sensitive astromech droid…

1 Like

This is just BB8. The little fella even has a tiny lightsaber…

In the EU, the malfunctioning astromech from the sandcrawler scene was force sensitive, and it was his mission to be sure that R2 would make it to Luke or something weird like that.

The new canon explains that scene as well. One of the short stories in From a Certain Point of View describes how R2-D2 intentionally sabotaged the droid in order to ensure that he would be purchased. He explains himself to the droid, though, so I guess that makes it okay…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Insert Force Chokes, infinite army building, and rioting from their respective fanbases here.

That at least makes sense. A force-sensitive droid is pretty rediculous.

1 Like

i hope the Star Forge atleast can make a return to Star Wars canon, that was arguably one of the best super weapons in Star Wars fictions, mostly because it was not like a big gun, but a factory that made nearly an infinite army of ships, droids and other weapons.

1 Like

From what I understand, “Skippy the Jedi Droid” was actually considered non-canon even within the old EU. In-universe, it’d probably be some crazy story shared between freighter pilots who’ve had a bit too much to drink at a local cantina. I like that type of quasi-meta storytelling. It gives authors the chance to play around in the Star Wars sandbox without being tied to down to extremely strict in-universe timelines, tones and physics. My favorite example of such intentionally-not-totally-canon storytelling is the ludicrous (yet very enjoyable) Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor:

They kind of carried a portion of that concept over into the new canon with the Emporor’s sentinel droids and the Iron Blockade in the Anoat sector. I think they made it work very well.

MINOR LAST JEDI SPOILERS CONTAINED WITHIN THE LINKS BELOW:

Maybe the First Order has a Star Forge. That would explain how they all their crazy weapons and ships. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We don’t need another super weapon.

1 Like

Of course not. I was mainly trying to point out that the First Order is starting to have crazy amounts of resources. Where do they get the material to build all these ships? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

At least the star forge is a different type of superweapon, and not a variation on “hey guys we can blow up planets!”
And yes, Starkiller Base did utilize the sun eating thing, but it was the blowing up planets thing, not anything about tons of ships being made.

2 Likes

The Empire canonically had super essentially planet destroying weapons after ROTJ.
In Cough Battlefront 2 Cough.

Oh boy, here we go…

1 Like

Ah man, I thought it was going to be like “Kenobi confirmed!” Anyway, I’m not sure how I feel about having two ongoing series’ of Star Wars movies at the same time, assuming both are trilogies. Anthologies are confusing enough to casual moviegoers. That said, although I don’t watch it, most people seem to love GOT, so that sounds good for the movies.

It’s too much man.

1 Like

The fact that they’re calling this new batch from the Thrones writers a “series” and not a “trilogy”, seems like to me that it’ll be three plus movies. If it were just going to be a trilogy, I think they’d just call it a trilogy. Series makes it seem different.

Yep.

1 Like