Star Wars Topic

I actually think the toy mold itself is fine. The combination of the face with the lighting of the poster, the saturated colors, and the overemphasis on the eyes is what makes the poster look cartoonish to me. A video I watched compared the poster to the cover art from a video game, and I actually think that’s a good comparison. It looks more like that than a film poster.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I’m getting at. The middle image on the comparison images looks so much better in my opinion, it’s not the fact that it’s a toy. The wrinkles and the teeth are what make Sheev Sheev, so when you fade those away… it just doesn’t look like him, at least not in a movie.

2 Likes

Agreed. The middle image is indeed superior.

1 Like

I found him boring, flat, and bland. Most of his Jedi stuff happened off screen, between V and VI, so the most arc we got for him was in those two movies specifically. I much prefer the fun, engaging Luke we got in TLJ, the Luke that has lost so much and failed so badly that he hates himself for it.

2 Likes

OK, it’s impossible for me to believe that somebody could see this in such a cultural icon.

There are reasons why I view him that way. He was obnoxious in NH, and felt completely emotionless in the other two. I mean sure, you could tell what he was feeling, but he lacked the charm of characters like Lando and Han and Leia.

1 Like

Not true.

You kidding here, right?

1 Like

“But I wanted to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!”

“Another season!”

“I care!”

-Just a few lines of Luke’s in ANH I found rather annoying. Besides, this is an opinion, so it’s not like you can disprove or prove it.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Fun to the audience. He’s secluded himself so much from society that he’s grown sarcastic and delusional.

Two lines does not an obnoxious character make. If anything, I’d say Luke is one of the most compelling figures in A New Hope because of his choice to become a Jedi. Maybe his lack of tact in his comments annoy you? I personally find it to be just his youthfulness, but it is also a strength. Luke has clear morals and goals, which he will tell people.

For Empire… How in the WORLD could you say he’s emotionless? What about the distress he endures throughout most of the film? His anxiety on Dagobah, his hopelessness with the X-Wing, and his cry of bitterness when learning the truth about Darth Vader?

As for Return of the Jedi, we have a much more grown Luke who is intent on looking for answers, one of which being the truth about his family. Here he is more confident of himself, but his temptation to the Dark Side grew stronger. He lashes out in anger when Vader proposes turning Leia, and gives into hatred when fighting Vader. Luke is NOT emotionless. He is just a calm individual most of the time.

Original Trilogy Luke has a pretty fun and compelling story, and has clearly defined character traits of being an adventurous young man who is loyal to his friends but is horribly naive. His lure to the Dark Side was a good story arch and throughout the OT we see him mature.

First time reaching out to the force.

Temptation to the Dark Side.

Training with a Jedi Master.

Luke fights a Sith Lord.

Luke rescues his friend and stops a criminal empire.

Luke fights a Sith Lord AGAIN and falls to his temptation to the darkside.

Luke denies the Dark Side after defeating a Sith Lord, certifying himself as a Jedi Knight. This stand would lead to Darth Vader turning from the Dark Side to save the galaxy.

I dunno about you but this is a LOT of Jedi stuff.

4 Likes

What I mean is, we see him as a Jedi in V, and then boom he’s a Jedi Knight. That’s a pretty major leap that happened entirely off screen. What I mean by emotionless is that he just doesn’t fee genuine in how he expresses it. There are always exceptions, but the way he does it doesn’t quite register with me.

As for ANH, he is incredibly obnoxious, and a few lines are really all I can give as examples.

Personally, the whole emotionless thing is just part of why I don’t really like OT Luke. He as a character just doesn’t interest me as much as he could, but I guess I kind of have that problem with all of Star Wars’ main characters, excluding Erso and Solo. They just don’t feel as interesting as Peter Parker or Bilbo Baggins.

And if you want to go even farther, I kind of just have it out for main protagonists in general. There are very few movies where the main character is my favorite, some of which being MCU Spider-Man and WALL-E. So, having Luke fill a different role other than that really made me like him a bit more, plus his whole loser side was fun.

So, in the end, this really is more of a me problem that I have with Luke. I’m not going to try to argue that he’s bad, he just doesn’t work for me personally. I still like him, I just liked him a lot more in TLJ.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s part of the problem. Luke has become a massive cultural icon. Perhaps we’re seeing things in his character in the OT that aren’t really there.

And I would posit that it was a pretty good arc.

In A New Hope, we meet a young, idealistic, whiny, brash and impulsive Luke who wants to escape his boring home life. Unfortunately, adventure is suddenly thrust upon him when the Empire burns his homestead and kills his family. At that point, the only thing he has left is Ben Kenobi and his vague ideas about “the Force”. Luke gets catapulted headfirst into the crazy adventure on the Death Star, finds a foil/friend in Han, falls in love with Princess Leia and then suddenly loses his only remaining mentor figure. At the climax of the movie, Luke loses his last remaining link to his childhood (Biggs) but finds a new family with the Rebellion.

Empire Strikes Back puts Luke through a great deal more trauma. He gets Mauled by a Wampa, crashes his snowspeeder, fails to life his X-Wing out of the swamp, gives into temptation in the cave (this part will be important later), and recklessly runs off to try and save in friends. Empire ends with Han in Carobonite and Luke having lost a hand while trying to deal with the emotional bombshell of his biological father being the most destructive being in the galaxy. Talk about complicated paternal relationships…

In Return of The Jedi we jump ahead a bit, but notice the framing of how Luke is introduced.

Rob Hilton said it best when talking about his Episode 4-5-2-3-6 “Machete Order” :

If you’re looking for a fresh way to experience Star Wars, I recommend reading his full write-up. I’ll be trying the order myself soon:

3 Likes

I hoped it was obvious that Luke in NH was meant to be a whiny child living in a dream world. Maybe he was a little too young to act like that, yet if he would have been physically younger then it wouldn’t really have made sense for the rest of the arc.
Luke Skywalker, the one in the new trilogy, is arguably one of the best characters in cinematic history. His arc is so iconic that now it is considered as the arc, the perfect model that every movie tries to copy-paste-edit for their movies.

Oh yeah, that scene when he drank green lizard milk cracked a laugh from anybody in every audience.

Exactly! He wanted to become like the father that his parents and family built him to be, like the Anakin that they knew before he turned into a black devil in edgy armour. And when Ben, a figure that was built by the ones around him as some sort of space Merlin tells him Anakin’s modified story, and gives him a freaking lightsaber telling him that his father wanted to see him just like him, confirming his wish from all of these years, his choice of becoming a Jedi becomes natural and reasonable.

Am I the only one who feels chills when hearing their exchange of lines?

Then you don’t have examples.
Not enough to convince somebody else.

Chronicle just proved that he isn’t emotionless.

Yes, this is my biggest gripe with young Luke: when he gets a hand chopped off he is like “ouch” and that’s it.

2 Likes

That scene is such a 50/50 flip it seems.

I watched it for the first time and loved it. I didn’t laugh, but I did do a silent ‘ha!’ just from the thought of how gross it was. It was a great PG way to show this guy is a little washed up and not all what he used to be.

2 Likes

Honestly I start to think that the small minority of people that liked old Luke isn’t that small after all.

1 Like

Small correction: his arc is an example of a larger trope, known as the hero’s journey. However, this is hardly a trope that started with Luke, instead being something that George Lucas decided to mold his hero around.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic; he lets out a giant scream of pain when it happens and spends the rest of the movie cradling the amputated limb.

1 Like

It is a little gratuitous, but I think it’s fine. The one scene in TLJ that never fails to crack me up is the “reach out” scene where Luke smacks Rey with the palm branch.

Gasp! I feel something!”

“You do?”

“Yes, I feel it!”

“That’s the Force!”

“Really?”

“Wow, it must be really strong with you!”

“I’ve never felt anyt–”

SMACK!

“OW!”

TLJ’s comedy might be iffy overall, but that was funny!

4 Likes

Can you name a more iconic/as iconic character that did it before Luke?

Oh, sorry. Then I must confuse him for Anakin.
Tho I remember both of them being like “Ouch… Oh noo! My haaaand!/s/s/s/s”.

Frodo Baggins, Lord of the Rings. Predates Star Wars by a good twenty years. Not to mention that this is a trope whose modern interpretation traces back to The Hero With a Thousand Faces, a book published in 1949 that draws its concepts from stories that predate that. Star Wars admittedly helped popularize the idea, but it hardly started it.

I seem to remember Anakin lying on the ground for the rest of that scene, needing Yoda to save him and Obi-Wan. I’m not sure what you expected, non-stop screaming?

2 Likes