Stars Skrall and Mazeka Revamps

Bionicle Stars. The somewhat awful final wave of bionicle.

Skrall: Arguably the worst Stars set.

What do I do? I feel the final Skrall isn’t living up to its potential so I build a new one in the same-ish scale.

Uploading…

Uploading…

Uploading…
Uploading…
Uploading…

Uploading…

Nothing on this Skrall is the stock build (except for the head, which is quite literally a helmet and a glatorian head). Also, this is my first build attempting custom build hands, arms, and legs. This is not my first custom torso build, but I feel it is my best. The reason for the utterly ridiculous and ludicrous amount of photos is due to the fact that I show each thing from 4 angles in an attempt to also make this a tutorial on how to build this Skrall revamp. This Skrall has shoulder articulation, and 3 fingers that are also articulated. With this build, I kinda shied away from the canon “organic creatures in a mechanical exoskeleton” thing that Farshtey created. In the Backstory for this Skrall, he is 100% mechanical. The legs were the hardest part of the build to design. The original design had them 3 lift-arms thick, which would have scaled the build upwards to Glatorian Skrall size, a problem that happened with my first attempt at this build. The first thing I built on this figure was the hands. I was sitting and staring at a 2008 hand piece and wondering if I could turn it into a better looking hand. Then I got the idea to add the claws. Getting the hand to be able to hold an accessory was a challenge, and the original hand had two thumbs. The Color scheme for the first attempt was more red, didn’t have the green highlights, and used brick-built armor addon pieces.

I also wanted to preserve the sword from the Stars set, and that was a huge problem. Obviously the hand design wouldn’t be able to hold a pin one lift arm thick. So I widened the grip by adding connectors until it was five lift arms thick. I tipped the handle by adding another claw piece (the larger type that was used on the Ninjago Scythe of Quakes) The Thornax Launcher was an afterthought. It is a black connector in the middle and a Thornax Launcher piece on both ends.

The Armored Av-Toran indirectly inspired the Skrall Revamp.

A Perk of having the Gadunka foot for a shield is poses like the above.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at my Mazeka figure standing beside my Solek figure after I disassembled my swamp strider set, and I said to myself, I should do something, anything really with this figure besides leave it sitting beside the Solek figure on my shelf. So, about a week ago, I decided to put armor on the figure. For the shield I used a Gadunka foot, I proceeded to just put various silver bits on the Matoran until he had a full suit of armor and two wings on his back.

I wouldn’t consider it a moc or a revamp per-say, but I would have loved if this had been the type of stock sets that the Av-Toran and Agori were.

I am going to end this post by saying that I am personally happy with how the Revamp and the Set idea look, and that is all that matters to me, so I probably won’t change anything about either one if I get any constructive criticism, but I am likely to try it out on future builds, so please, tell me what would look good next time I do a moc like either one. I am also going to end this post with one final picture of Mazeka and Skrall fighting.

I have noticed after posting that it didn’t upload the photos in the right order, sorry, but if you want to build one of these, try to use the photos anyway, they just aren’t in order, so you will need to do a lot of scrolling, The arms, legs, and hands are mirror images of each other. Keep that in mind while building.

12 Likes

From what I can see, the Skrall relies on technic for most of the build. While in some cases, such as building a frame, technic can be great, but technic isn’t always better. While I like the spindly concept, I think it could be accomplished better by using standard limb pieces (both CCBS and/or Inika could work.) I’d also recommend getting rid of the custom torso, or at least rehauling it.

Also, I can’t tell if the accent color’s red or green.

Mazeka is an Av-Matoran with a plethora of accessories, so I don’t have much to say except to replace the Av-Matoran limbs with something more articulatable.

2 Likes

Some of those pictures are still uploading, you’ll need to fix that.

The Skrall looks pretty cool, although it doesn’t look like it can hold the golden armor.

Mazeka with armor looks overdone, maybe have less armor?

1 Like

Skrall’s color scheme is a mess, it’s a cool build but it should’ve stuck more to the black and green aspect. The maroon can still be used for the weapons though, maybe.
Mazeka is great, a little bit over the top for what Lego would probably do for a Matoran, but I like it a lot.

One of the pictures that is still loading (which I have no clue how to fix) shows Skrall holding the golden armor.

It is overdone on purpose, because I really was going for a cartoony paladin sort of feel.

The whole point is that Mazeka is supposed to be my interpretation of how lego could’ve improved the stock Av-Toran builds without actually molding new parts.

You really don’t get that robotic amalgamation feel I was going for from CCBS (which looks like armor on an actual body) or from Inika (at least the parts I have in my collection, there are a few parts I could have used, but I was going for a small size)

I know, I’m seriously tempted to Bricklink the parts that aren’t black and maroon, and get them in black and maroon; but I really don’t feel like wasting money on parts for a build I’ll probably take apart in a few weeks.

This build looks a lot better in real life BTW

Shortened Title - BioSquire

1 Like

I really like the Skrall, but Mazeka’s a bit clunky to me. Nice work, on the whole. :slight_smile:

The Mazeka thing is actually a build I tacked on to make the Skrall have something to fight in the pictures.

1 Like

like the look but the skrall is my favorite stars set