Strength of Protodermis vs. Real World/Sepherus Magnan Materials?

How strong is protodermis compared to materials we would realistically come across on Sepherus Magna or in the real world? For instance, how does normal metallic protodermis compare to stuff like iron and steel? What would protosteel be closest to in terms of strength?

1 Like

Huh, good question, never thought about this before. Where would crystalline protodermis fit on this?

My two cents: my understanding is that protodermis can take on the properties of nearly any other form of matter, so the answer is that it depends on the form of protodermis. Metallic protodermis would be the same strength as real iron, I guess… as long as metallic protodermis is the equivalent for iron (are there even different forms of metallic protodermis?). On the other hand, there are lots of times when the books, website, etc. compare things to the hardness of generic “protodermis,” as in “strong enough to crack solid protodermis.” Well, okay… what kind of solid protodermis? It’s always been a bit unclear to me.

I don’t recall anyone ever asking whether crystalline Toa seal protodermis is stronger than protosteel. I would assume crystalline. There’s also the psychic backlash associated with trying to break it to consider.

This made me think of another random question: the crystalline protodermis that the Shadowed One’s staff creates isn’t the same thing as Toa seal protodermis, is it? Again, I would assume not.

What is Protodermis?:

“Protodermis was an artificial substance created by the Great Beings to make up the Matoran Universe. It was based on Energised Protodermis, which came from the core of Spherus Magna. Everything in the Matoran Universe is made of Protodermis. Protodermis exists in multiple states and forms, and could be refined and/or reshaped to have many uses.”

Ok… but what was it (and energised protodermis) actually made of?

There are a lot of theories that it is another undiscovered element. But, I have my doubts.

I have narrowed down protodermis down to lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, and cesium.

Why? Because these elements react really badly with water. So does raw protodermis.

Properties:

Hard and durable, can be combined with iron, rock-like.

Can be frozen and form crystalline-structures.

Can be found in plants and in life forms.

Clear-colour for liquid form after being “purified.”

Explodes into long lasting reactions of light when in contact with water.

Caesium:

Liquid at room temperature, physical and chemical properties similar to those of rubidium and potassium.

most reactive of all metals.

reacts with water.

least electronegative element.

Caesium forms alloys with the other alkali metals, gold, and mercury. It does not alloy with cobalt, iron, molybdenum, nickel, platinum, tantalum, or tungsten.

Rubidium:

Rubidium is a rare, very soft, whitish-grey metal in the alkali metal group. Rubidium metal shares similarities to potassium metal and caesium metal in physical appearance, softness and conductivity.

rubidium metal reacts violently with water.

It forms amalgams with mercury and alloys with gold, iron, caesium, sodium, and potassium, but not lithium.

Potassium:

Potassium is a silvery-white metal that is soft enough to be cut with a knife with little force.

Freshly cut potassium is silvery in appearance, but it begins to tarnish toward grey immediately on exposure to air.

It helps your nerves to function and muscles to contract. It helps your heartbeat stay regular. It also helps move nutrients into cells and waste products out of cells.

Sodium:

Sodium is a soft, silvery-white, highly reactive metal.

sodium and its compounds glow yellow.

It helps maintain normal blood pressure, supports the work of your nerves and muscles, and regulates your body’s fluid balance.

Lithium:

Lithium soft, silvery-white alkali metal.

Lithium is present in biological systems in trace amounts.

Lithium and its compounds have several industrial applications, including heat-resistant glass and ceramics, lithium grease lubricants, flux additives for iron, steel and aluminium production, lithium batteries, and lithium-ion batteries.

Thanks to the process of elimination, we have to final competitors:

Sodium and potassium.

Why?

Because they react when in contact with water and can be found naturally in the body.

Out of the two, (for now) I think that potassium is one of the most likely of the two candidates for Protodermis.

Feel free to crack down on this theory.