Super Mario Odyssey

A bit surprised that this wasn’t a topic yet and I don’t even know if this is a necessary topic, but; oh well, worth a shot.

Mario Odyssey is the 3rd true 3D Mario game since Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. In this game, Mario and his newfound friend, Cappy, a hat, try their best to defeat Bowser once again and rescue Peach by exploring beyond the Mushroom Kingdom. With the use of the Cap-ture ability that allows Mario to “possess” enemies, Mario will explore kingdoms outside his own.

Mario Odyssey releases on the Nintendo Switch on October 27, 2017. Thoughts?

8 Likes

Is Super Mario Galaxy 2 not a 3D game?

The possessing enemies sounds like an amazing concept. To bad I don’t have a switch.

True 3D. I believe Nintendo classified games like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 as more casual 3D games.

1 Like

Casual, Super Mario Galaxy is a great time sink and repayable experience despite the forced linearity of the level design.

Anyway, I’m super excited for Odyssey it looks like a quirky romp through levels we don’t usually get to see in Mario games. I’m also gonna love taking it to friends houses and my LGS without the fuss of most modern consoles.

Really looking forwaard for this one!

Breath of the Wild is good, but this game has convinced me that I need a Switch.

Really looking forward to this awesome game.

This could easily be one of the best Mario games or one of the worst.

I agree. The world certainly looks fantastic, but the aesthetics look wayyyyy off. Mario, and the occasional enemy, is the only one in the original style. It’s so inconsistent and it’s bothering me. The gameplay looks fine, from what I’ve seen, but I can’t get over how strange it looks.

2 Likes

You know, it just occurred to me…

I’ve never played any of the 3D Mario games.

If my plan of getting a summer job pans out and I actually have enough money for a switch this can be my first 3D Mario game.

1 Like

^^^ i agree with all of this

and it’s only for the switch so honestly i couldn’t care less

…why has no one posted in this topic since June? lol

So to no ones surprise, Odyssey is a great game. It takes the best aspects from prior 3D Marios, and streamlines them into a masterpiece. As someone who loves collecting stuff, and has never played the Banjo-Kazooie series, I found this game incredibly fun. The main story is short and simple, but there’s loads to do afterwards, complete with great incentives to keep you getting more moons. It’s not all a collectathon either. There’s quite a few platforming challenges, which in typical Mario fashion, tend to be deceptively difficult.

I do have a few gripes with the game. A minor one is how much this game reminds you of the moves Mario can do. The game has a built in action guide, telling you how to perform everything. That’s fine. What’s not fine is how the game throws about 4 NPCs at you who all ask if you know how to use the action guide. Some of these are later in the game, much later than you would expect this kind of tutorial to appear. Also, every time you travel to a new kingdom, Cappy will inform you of a move you can do, something that you would have already seen in the action guide. In addition, the game will occasionally remind you about actions when traveling throughout maps. For example, you might be near a spot where you can wall jump, and the games flashes a reminder about wall jumping. All of this isn’t a huge issue, but it’s kinda annoying, especially to someone who’s played a 3D Mario game before.

Now a bigger issue that I have with this game is the motion controls. For the record, I’m not one of those guys who despises all motion controls in video games. Motion controls add a fun level of interactivity that bind the gameplay experience with the real life experience. However, specifically with Mario Odyssey, I think it should have been approached differently. The issue stems from the fact that Mario Odyssey is designed to be played with the Joycons separate. If you’re playing in TV mode, this is fine. If you play in handheld mode (like I do 90% of the time), you run into some issues. There are certain actions that require you to flip the Joycons up or down or even shake them around. This is incredibly awkward in handheld, and usually results in me shaking my console around like a 5 year old hyped up on candy. Every time I do it, I feel like I’m going to snap my Joycons right off of my system. This is a bit of an oversight on Nintendo’s part, and could have readily been remedied by adding a button option to replace the motion controls. R/L are barely used in the game. Heck, X/Y and A/B do pretty much the same thing. Commandeer one of those or something.

When I was playing on my TV, I found that every control not related to shaking was clunky and imprecise. The Joycons seem to lose their orientation fairly quickly. It seems weird to say, but I feel motion controls on the Wii were better, thanks to the sensor bar.

From a macro view, the motion controls aren’t a huge deal. This isn’t a Skyward Sword situation where they’re permanently imbedded into the game. 95% of the game can be played without even thinking about them. But that 5% that they do show up…it gets frustrating.

Overall, Odyssey is a good game. I give it a solid 9/10, and a high recommendation to anyone wanting a fun 3D platformer to play.

1 Like

They actually did, they just didn’t bother telling anyone, X, y, and the bumpers I believe can replace motion controls.

…not that I’ve seen. Where are you seeing this?

Chat mentioned it to Vinny during a stream, and apparently it worked.

It’s contextually passive, for example I believe y makes you climb faster if I remember correctly, unfortunately I’m not aware of the full list.

Could you link a timestamp to the video, or give me an idea of where to look?

If I remember correctly it was near the start of his second or third stream, part 2 or 3 on the full sauce channel, when he’s also talking about taking the same issue with the motion controls, he also tested it with the roll boost(which I’m remembering was X, though I’m probably wrong) and it apparently worked,
sorry I can’t be more specific, I didn’t really expect to send someone that way.

Perhaps someone(IE gamexplain) has made a video about it as well.

1 Like

Hmm, I’ll look into it. In any case, if it’s there it’s not readily apparant, so my point still partially stands.

This topic shouldn’t be dead.

I recently got a Switch and I’m playing Super Mario Odyssey. As a long-time Mario fan, I gotta say, this is very different from what I’m used to. The greater emphasis on platforming combined with the possession moves makes this game have interesting game mechanics and challenges that I find to be a welcome change in the series.

It has all the issue of standard 3D Mario: enemies are hard to jump on so you have to use the hat to hit enemies at times. I actually like the new moves Mario can do, ESPECIALLY the roll. (Ocarina of Time anyone?)

The bosses thus far have also been creative and very fun. Although I do think the Broodals are basically Koopaling rip-offs (seriously, they act like them, especially the one I dubbed “Barfy”, who looks like Ludwig). They serve as fun mid-bosses though and the final bosses for each world are even more fun, IMO. The Broodal bosses involve standard Mario platforming but the World Bosses involve the different creatures you play as, which makes the game far more compelling.

Overall, I’m enjoying it. Motion controls don’t bother me as much (it’s like playing Mario Galaxy but with TWO wiimotes, which is fun!). Then again I haven’t played in handheld mode. If I do, I’ll probably have the same complaints as Slime.

2 Likes

I feel like I’m one of the few people who didn’t love Mario odyssey. It had some really good aspects, but I got bored of it fairly quickly.

1 Like