Sword Art Online Discussion Topic

Yup, story would be a lot better if we saw the main character go through conflicts that worried him or the audience

Well I wouldn’t necessarily say that. He has conflicts throughout the story that make him grow as a character. They are just small.

1 Like

From what I have heard it’s a poorly handled anime set in a video game. Is that statement accurate, and could you give a review of SAO by comparing it to other shows that are similar? (Feel free to write a longer one if you can keep it well structured.) Nothing has really convinced me to watch it, and I’m hoping you could clarify whether it is any good.

1 Like

SAO is a very particular anime. Some love it others hate it, and there is not much of a grey area. It may not be outstandingly written but it gets its point across. The anime itself is not set entirely in a video game but the main story and most of the screen time is spent in-game. For the first half of season 1(SAO arc) the idea behind it is that 10,000 people are trapped in a VRMMO (Virtual Reality MMO) and if they die in game or the headset that lets them play is removed from their head, they die in real life. This causes everyone to get all frantic and it is about the people trying to survive. I will not spoil anything but I personally like how they explore the idea of what happens to the players psychologically as time goes on. Really in the end it is up to personal preference. I would suggest you give it a shot and see if you like it or not.

2 Likes

Exactly what he said. The first arc had a fantastic plot and all, just went…
Downhill.
Nowadays, you just gotta watch it and see if you enjoy it. It’s fine for people to like it, the only problem I have is when people say it’s good. Right, @Indigogeek? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Oh rise… This is not an argument yo want to get into. :stuck_out_tongue:

So has mine and @Risebell’s short reviews of SAO changed your opinion or strengthened it at all?

I suppose both you and @Risebell mentioned that it’s worth trying, and I guess I might watch the first two episodes and see if it’s for me. I’m not a huge fan of dropping shows but all the SAO talk has made my trigger finger a bit more twitchy.

It’s not worth trying.
Go watch Space Dandy instead.

Already have. It’s really good.

1 Like

I love you.
Watch Cowboy Bebop next.

1 Like

See you, space samurai. I should just share my list.

1 Like

I will say that while yes, Kirito is pretty well equipped with plot armor, being a video game they did explain it away that he just power leveled like crazy. So for that bit, early on, I can accept him being a bit OP. He was one of the first people to play the game.

I really like the 4th arc! I feel Asuna’s pain 100% :cry:

2 Likes

So I’ve just finished season 1, and while it’s definitely not perfect, it was quite good. But I then went and wrote up how to improve it. So here is the aptly named string of ideas titled: how to make SAO better

Don’t compress the SAO game into just half a season. Make it span 2 entire seasons. Make the audience really feel how long they’re in the game.

Move the true start of Kirito and Asuna’s relationship to the end of season 1, and slowly build towards it through the rest of the season

It goes without saying that you’d have to remove all the random girls falling in love with Kirito. It’s sexist and really just stupid overall

Make Kirito team up with Asuna, Kleim, and Aegil in a guild early on. Having Kirito go solo means he does everything and is the only one who can do anything. Also make him less op. Make Asuna, Klein, and Aegil be better than him in some things.

Remove Yui. I know she’s adorable, but she makes no sense. If anything, make her a really young player who logged in and got stuck, and have Kirito take her in under his wing. And if they didn’t want to have her introduced early on, have her parents logged in too and have died.

Actually show the boss fights, and keep it very clear what floor they’re on. Also it might help to keep HP bars and character levels somewhere on screen at all times.

Make each floor different. Have it be more like an actual game, with desert, jungle, etc. themed areas. Makes no sense to have every single one of a hundred floors be a meadow.

Eliminate the Knights of the Blood Oath completely. Have Kirito’s guild take their place, and have them completing floors.

So those are my ideas for what could be done to make it truly great. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

So, SAO II. Anyone know where to find the Dub? It hasn’t been put on Netflix yet, and I need a place to watch it.

I thought this show was good at first but once we hit around episode 10 things got really bad.

1 Like

I’m the only one who likes this show…

BUT WAIT!

one day im going to use a sao pic as my profile picture
then everyones going to be like “sao is trash”
and im going to say deal with it
maybe ill do it just to annoy everyone

/s?

The show was bad before that. It just got worse after that point.

I feel like reviving this topic. Is that against the rules?

Well, I just recently started watching SAO on Netflix before it’s gone.

Despite what people say about SAO, I actually really like it.