Syrai of the Brotherhood of Makuta

This MOC looks like Antroz, and Icarax got blended and this MOC came out, This MOC is pretty nice although it doesn’t look that female.

1 Like

Well, of course everyone has his own preferences in that regard, but honestly: The inhabitants of the Matoran Universe don’t reproduce, so there’s absolutely no reason why “females” should look much different from “males”.

So basically you want to make her Teridax’s secretary? Sure, why not - after all I can imagine that Teridax doesn’t want to take care of every minor thing himself. Syrai could have been Miserix’s secretary before the Convocation, too.

2 Likes

@Gilahu Awesome! That sounds great! I’ll write up a bio. You should have it by tomorrow at the latest!

@Payinku. I tend to agree with Gilahu in regards to the proportions. I want Syrai to look more mobile than sturdy, so I’d like to keep her lower body as thin as possible. I feel if I make her hips wider it could hurt her mobility. Her shoulders are also thinner than average already (I know it doesn’t read from far away. My photography needs improvement.) I’ll post a picture of her next to my other Makuta MOC, who uses the Inika torso. The difference is fairly noticeable in comparison. I’m a little afraid to try and shrink the torso any farther, because I don’t want her to look Toa-sized, and I want to keep the same level of detail that she has. I’m currently working on custom arms, although if Gilahu thinks the Inika ones look okay I may just leave it for now. I have to respectfully disagree with the Inika legs; I think they are way too bulky to work with what I want for Syrai. I will experiment with removing the Metru chest on her back though. She certainly does need to get those tubes straightened out. Thank you so much for your input!

3 Likes

I like. The upper body is a little large for my tastes, but I still enjoy it, as the torso is quite an intelligent design.

If you’re fine with the proportions fine, but inika legs would look so much better, I don’t know what you mean, they aren’t anymore bulky than the metru limbs, they’re just a bit bigger, which would fix the proportion problem I have with the legs, atleast try them?

@Payinku We may be referring to different parts here. I’m thinking of the ones that are on Gali Mistika and Jaller Inika. Which ones are you picturing?

1 Like

There’s only one inika leg, the one you’re describing, I mean that one, I think it would look better, maybe I’m wrong, I’d just like you to try it before you write it off.

@Payinku In my experience that leg has always been terribly bulky, but if you feel that it would help I’ll certainly try it. It just seems too bulky on slender-ish MOCs, but I’ve been wrong before. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Thank you for the suggestion regardless.

1 Like

I’ve had trouble using the Inika leg in any MOC to date. It’s awkward looking because of that weird armor plate bit at the top, and the really thin part at the bottom. It’s just a weird piece with surprisingly limited usage due to its bulk. I can use Metru legs for chest parts, but the Inika leg piece is impossible.

Looks better than my first attempt :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, let it put me this way: They’re boring, but since they were created by Lego to work this way, they work. :wink:

1 Like

Yo, I actually love that torso design. :heart_eyes:

I will give you major thumbs up for consistency. Not in the colour scheme but for the sharpness. Everything from the wings, mask, feet, claws, and some of the armor keeps the same feel and makes Makuta Syrai feel very whole. The colour scheme is good but the wings and lower legs standout due to the large ammount of black. Although, the colour scheme is black, red and silver so it’s not a huge problem.

Other complaints include blue pins (which you can get in black but I understand people don’t have every piece) and also the pins on the red leg armor are protruding (I have that problem a lot aswell).

1 Like

@John_Smith My hero! Thanks Doc! :cowboy_hat_face: (This was legitimately the closest thing to a Doctor Who emoji I could find.)

1 Like

Done and done!

Hm… I’m afraid the backstory doesn’t quite work.

Ok, that’s a minor thing, but - it’s the Great Spirit who created the Makuta, not the Great Beings.

Everything about the scribe part works, and I quiet like it, but the main issue with the rest is that Syrai has to die before the Matoran return to Metru Nui, which is before Teridax came to the Pit. Given Syrai’s position as Teridax’s scribe/secretary I’d actually say that it’s likely that she died prior to Teridax’s attempt to take over Metru Nui, even, since obviously she wasn’t there.

An alternative idea I just had:
So Syrai wrote down everything about the Plan - the original Plan - so that no one would ever forget what a great feat it was to overthrow the Great Spirit. Still, for the time being these details had to be kept secret, so Syrai kept the stone tablets always near her.
Eventually Teridax’s Toa Hagah rebelled when they learned of the Brotherhood’s true intentions. Subsequently the other Makuta executed their Toa Hagah - but a few survived. They banded together, trying to uncover what the Brotherhood was planning. Their obvious first target was Syrai - one of the “weaker” Makuta who nonetheless probably knew the most about the Brotherhood’s intentions aside from Teridax.
Long story short, the Toa tracked down Syrai on an occassion when she had left Destral and tried to get the tablets from her. In the fight Syrai’s Rahkshi bodyguards were destroyed and Syrai’s armor badly damaged, the Toa, however, all perished, too. The stone tablets with the Plan’s details were destroyed, too, though. Syrai managed to reach a cave, but she knew that chances were slim at best that she would find another body in time when her damaged armor finally couldn’t hold her essence anymore. Since she wanted to preserve what once was written on the stone tablets, she used her powers to engrave the details of the Plan on the cavern wall from memory.
As she feared she didn’t find a body and only managed to send Teridax a message via Rahi, telling him about what happened to her and about the cave. Then her Antidermis dissipated, killing her. Teridax eventually visited the cave and decided that the wall carvings were a nice way of preserving the perfection of his Plan. Nonetheless he had a fortress built above the cave to protect it from eyes that weren’t meant to see it and he also encrypted the carvings.

Or something such.

Ok, I need more information here - how exactly is that useful?

Also since you can’t edit the first post anymore - simply put the edited backstory in a reply.

@Gilahu How does this look? I used some of what you typed in your reply. I hope you don’t mind. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Like all other Makuta, Syrai was created from Antidermis by the Great Spirit Mata Nui, and assigned to watch over the Matoran Universe. Whilst inside the Mata Nui robot, Syrai served as a scribe of sorts, writing down every detail of everything discussed by Mizerix and Teridax. She did her job dutifully, enjoying her rather scholarly life, free of dealing with creatures she considered to be of inferior intellect and genetics. When the leadership of the brotherhood came into turmoil, Syrai sided with Teridax, believing his stories to be more thrilling to transcribe. She was proven correct, as Teridax described the Plan to her in great detail.

Syrai wrote down everything about the Plan - the original Plan - so that no one would ever forget what a great feat it was to overthrow the Great Spirit. Still, for the time being these details had to be kept secret, so Syrai kept the stone tablets always near her.
Eventually Teridax’s Toa Hagah rebelled when they learned of the Brotherhood’s true intentions. Subsequently the other Makuta executed their Toa Hagah - but a few survived. They banded together, trying to uncover what the Brotherhood was planning. Their obvious first target was Syrai - one of the “weaker” Makuta who nonetheless probably had the most knowledge about the Brotherhood’s intentions aside from Teridax. The Hagah picked their time carefully, then attacked their target.

The battle was fierce, and Syrai’s Rahkshi bodyguards were destroyed and her armour severely damaged. Despite killing all of the Toa, Syrai knew she had just hours left to live, and the tablets that had contained the details of The Plan had been destroyed by the foolish ingrates. Syrai’s mangled body managed to shamble its way into a cave, where she carved The Plan in its entirety into the walls, fulfilling her final duty to her people. She sent a message to Teridax via Rahi to tell him what had transpired, and finally allowed herself to let go. Teridax would later visit the cave, and erect a fortress to protect it after encrypting the message.

Tools and abilities:

Like all Makuta, Syrai had access to all forty-two kraata powers, as well as the element of shadow. She also wore the Mask of Reliving, which allowed her to see the final hours of someone’s life by being in contact with their remains. Syrai most commonly used this power to help her tell the stories of fallen members of her brethren, as well as determining the identity of those who killed them.

1 Like

So basically this is a more specific version of the Mask of Psychometry. More specific in the way that a) it only works on dead organic material, b) it only gives information about the last hour before that being’s death and c) it can be triggered whenever you want?

Well, works I guess.

Thanks again for participating! MOC accepted.

Sorry about the bizarre Mask Power. I find it really difficult to come up with abilities that haven’t been done before.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Hm… the mask Makuta Morathix is wearing also might be a good option for Syrai. But I’m ok with the present mask power, too.

Mask: Kanohi Brakkax: Allows the user to replay memories of the mask’s wearer. - This ability can be used to display memories of all beings that wore the mask at one point or another. - The user needs to actively search for the correct memory in order to replay it.
credit goes to @MakutaTexxidos

EDIT:
Although I wonder if maybe the mask should have a different name… “Brakkax” sounds a lot like “Brakas” and for some reason the “x” at the end of the name annoys me - I’ll leave that decision to you @MakutaTexxidos

That sounds a lot better than my idea. If @MakutaTexxidos is okay with letting Syrai have the same mask power, then I think that works. I’ll of course give them credit on the design.