Tabletop RPG campaign: "The Powers of Old" (closed for players)

Central U.S. time zone, free after 6 PM on every day except Tuesday and Friday, and able to make basically any time on the weekends.

I’m in EST. I can be on either from about 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM, or about 11:00 PM to 1:30 AM. Since I, for the most part, have no life, I can get on at pretty much any time of the day, and the people who have jobs and stuff should come first when it comes to scheduling. Oh, and I am doing things on Mondays, Tuesday nights, and Wednesdays, so I would rather not do those days.

Thank you for your input, I will take it into account when trying to set up our “session zero”.

I am almost done with the blank character sheets, but sadly couldn’t get them completely done due to a lack of time. I’ll have a go at them during my lunch break today, and hopefully finish. Currently I have the Toa version almost done, and the rest of them is simply a matter of changing a few cells here and there.

It’s not the prettiest setup, but I’ve added formulas to the spreadsheets which will auto-calculate your level from EXP, how many Attribute/Skill/Feat points you have available, stat changes based on which points you have invested, and a few other things.

I have not bothered to add auto-lists for all the different powers and feats you may get - we’ll have to keep track of these ourselves. In typical tabletop-fashion I’ve added blank cells for stat modifiers - these will be included in the total and affect the rest of the sheet appropriately, but you have to fill in the modifier yourself.

I’ll provide a link to all of you when I’m done, and then work with each of you to finalize your initial character build. :slight_smile:

While we get the characters sorted out, I’ll finish up some of my planning for the first session of play. This includes plot outline, arriving at the first area, some tests of game mechanics, and so on. I have plenty of ideas for how to do this, but feel free to send me your own.

Before we drop you right into the game, however, it would be nice to have a little chat together, so that we become a bit more familiar. I’ll ask a few questions from the Same Page Tool which we can discuss then. This helps us all be on, well, the same page about what we expect the game to be like.

In the meantime, feel free to send me a message if you have any questions, or post in this topic if there is anything you’d like to discuss.

One thing I could need specific help with: I’m having a hard time finding a tabletop-styled map (or even just an image in general) of an island that is kinda Mata/Voya Nui- like without actually being either of them. I need an island that have pretty much the same places scattered around (jungle, desert, mountain, and so on), and is also of a decent size. I might have to Photoshop this. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My guy (Erdek) is currently a massive glass canon (except without the glass bit admittedly) in any case a massive tank and and someone with four greatnesses in strength should be quite powerful…

1 Like

I made a Toa of Magnetism last night.

CHARACTER SHEETS AVAILABLE.

Rule book available here, for reference:

Blank sheets (Toa, Matoran, Skakdi, Brutaka’s Species; lacking Vortixx) (UPDATE: I messed up the formulas for several things. Not fixed yet.):

Sheets have formulas that auto-calculate the most basic stats and available points per level. You will have to take note of most other modifiers yourself.

I also took the liberty of making some copies that you can edit, and also take a glance at each others’ setups.

@DragonBorn_Ben: Zod (Brute)

@EvilLobsterKing: Unnamed (Skakdi of Iron)

Labouka: Orion (Toa of Fire)

@Leoxandar : Ferrex (Toa of Magnetism)

@Makuta_Luroka: Kuan (Toa of Fire)

@MinusOneEighth: Erdek (Toa of Stone)

@Scorpion_Strike: Mestrelis (Toa of Shadows)

@SmeatyFlavor: Nakavi (Toa of Lightning)

@TurteX: Kruhdak (Toa of Gravity)

I have worked with Labouka to fill in his sheet, so you can look at that for an example as you fill in your own. I will help the rest of you if you ask me to. Please make contact one way or another to determine custom powers and tools, for those of you who have them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve done most one one of these already. Would you like me to finish it? (The island has habitats for ALL types of matoran rather than just the six (since we have iron and gravity characters etc. it made sense)

Hm, maybe. I plan to sprinkle Matoran a bit mix-n-matched, such as both Fire and Plasma in the volcanic region, along with Plant Life in the jungle etc. If you have a map that is not too strange I could use it.

2 Likes

Alright, next time I have access to a computer I’ll work on my sheet. Would you mind helping me out with it? I’ve never done something like this before and would appreciate some guidance.

Of course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK I’ll probably be able to work on it in several hours… If I have any questions, I’ll ask and you can answer whenever. Thanks!

You just described parts of my map almost perfectly. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can only put 20 points in each Attribute to start out with, right?

Says so in the rules, so yes.

1 Like

Well then I am done.

I am a massive tank with a pet bird thing.

Oh and I can fly. Because of my mask.

Now would a Rahi companion get it’s own attack and stuff?

@DragonBorn_Ben
I will check what the rules might have to say about Rahi companions, but I believe they will be placed as a separate character on the map. Since Rahi tend to have little HP and Armor, I believe you’ll have to be careful if you actually wish to use it in combat.

I noticed you have two shields, which use bashing attacks and count as One-Handed Melee. Note that unless you have the Dual Wielding feat, you can’t strike with both shields on the same turn, as far as I can tell. You might want to take that Feat first, and then Ambidextrous on your next level-up?

I like your character otherwise. :slight_smile:

Important: I made a mistake on the sheets. The formula for calculating your total bonus in a Skill’s attribute check does NOT include the value in the Modifier column. It had a bunch of other complicated stuff to write in, so I forgot to add it. Sorry about that.

Also, I forgot to add both Magnetism and Iron to the list of Elemental powers, because they don’t actually have defined powers in the rules. You may assume that Magnetism will be similar to Gravity with the lifting and crushing, and that it can cause knockback/similar effects. Iron will have crushing metal, along with forming solid projectiles. We’ll work out the exact details. Sounds good?

1 Like

I actually switch one of the shields out with an Axe. So yeah.
The shield is just there to boost my armor. I will mainly wield the axe for attacking.

Whoops I missed up and put a two handed axe. Let me fix that real fast.

Ah, I understand. Works.

1 Like

I am really looking forward to this.

1 Like

You and me both. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like