Tabletop RPG campaign: "The Powers of Old" (closed for players)

@EvilLobsterKing
As a Skakdi, you get to choose an element, but you can’t use it as well as Toa do. Toa geta full range of powers to use according to their element. If you and another Skakdi work together, you can trigger a combined power effect, but alone you must instead use a specialized weapon to be able to channel a power.

By spending some extra points on gear, your weapon will be a specialized version which can channel a single power of your choice. The tool also gets an additional effect of your choice.

They lack full elemental power control, but Skakdi get one Vision power (pick one from the list, or ask me for another effect) and one extra power. This extra power is also free choice. I would say that the best way of handling this would be to think of the types of powers we’ve seen the Piraka use, and then base the power on that. For example, Zaktan’s protodites are essentially a limited version of Intangibility + Levitation, while Avak’s “perfect prison” power is a stun/tangle effect that also deals damage if you try to break out of it.

Example of a Skakdi:
Thok. Thok has Ice as his element, but can only use it if he cooperates with another Skakdi. He carries a gun that can fire regular ice blasts at his enemies, and it has a pick on the other end. In the terms of this game, I would say it shoots one of the basic Ice projectiles at the regular cost of energy points, it can be used as a basic melee weapon when not shooting, and that it has a small bonus when performing tasks that involve climbing etc.

Next, his Vision power is covered in the rule set, so no need to figure this one out.

Finally, we have his extra power, which is the ability to animate inorganic matter. For this, I would grab the Tryna’s power description, increase the limit on creature size and then reduce the limit to 1 creature at a time. If this looks bad on paper, things like duration and energy cost could also be tweaked.

I hope this gives an idea of what you can pick. :slight_smile: Feel free to invent your own power; we’ll make it fit inside the rules somehow so it’s balanced with other powers.

@Leoxandar
Since you were here early, I’ll still let you join in if you want to.

@Scorpion_Strike
When you roll a “trigger” effect (essentially a critical hit), weapons in this game tend to have an additional effect. Scythes, instead of dealing extra damage, will hit all enemies standing adjacent to you when they trigger. This makes it good against swarms, and when you are surrounded. If you have a one-handed scythe, you can use it to Parry incoming blows; two-handed ones deal more damage instead.

I know that Labouka’s Toa of Fire will be using a two-handed scythe, by the way, but feel free to use one as well.

Also: As Scythes are blades on a stick, feel free to describe how that blade looks yourself. If you, for example, want a straighter war scythe instead of a curved one, be my guest.

For everyone:

After work today I’ll set up some character sheets on Google Drive and link you to them. This may take some time to get done, but once that is done I’ll start working with you individually to build up a full-fledged character.

Until then, have a quick read over the rules and see what your chosen species get at Level 1, so that you can start planning which gear you want etc.

3 Likes

That explanation is just perfect.

Thanks.

I need to think about some things, but I’ll get back to you soon with any ideas I have…

Would you include me when you set them up? I think I’ll go in :stuck_out_tongue:

Yup. What kind of character are you thinking of?

I had a member of Brutaka’s species, but I think I’ll be creating a new character since another has already expressed interest in RPing as one. For balance’s sake :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Woah I just realized that Roll20 doesn’t support mobile… If I can’t use mobile it’s gonna limit the amount of time I can be on… Is this OK?

1 Like

We should survive. Depending on how much work it is with many players. we may spend a long time on planning anyways. :stuck_out_tongue:

For the record, here are the characters of the people that are not members of TTV:

Toa of Fire
Mask: Kadin, Mask of Flight
Weapon: Two-handed scythe
Skills: Focuses on support, particularly healing. Has invested in the Medical skill, chosen to buy a Mask of Healing for leftover gear points.

Toa of Gravity
Mask: Matatu. Mask of Telekinesis
Weapons: Claws that can be launched on a chain. I have chosen to use the Chain-type weapon rules for this, as they involve ranged attacks and grappling enemies.

Toa of Fire
Mask: Kakama w/scope
Weapon: Flaming greatsword, used for channeling Fire powers.

1 Like

I think I will have Zod duel wield shields. I want a tank.

Also It says Great (Attribute) doubles the factor of said Attribute. Interesting.

1 Like

What day would we be shooting for, and more importantly, what time of day?

I am not sure which day it will be yet. I’ll try to sort out character sheets as fast as I can, and I see most of you are already planning out how you wish your characters to be.

I’m free in the evenings, my time, and in the weekends. I’m in Europe, so I’m 6 hours ahead of the US. I know that we have some people in my time zone, but it’s likely that you guys have some offset. Since I’m free in the evening (I have work, no vacation until July) that would put us at midday to early evening for most Americans.

If everyone would state their time zone and a rough estimate of when you are free to play, that would be awesome for scheduling this. Thanks!

2 Likes

I am EST. I’m usually free on weekends from 11:00AM to 5:00ish PM my time, barring Sundays.

Pacific Time zone. It is 11:33 am for me right now.

I am always free on Sundays 12:00 PM+. And I can probably work something out during the Mondays through Thursdays…

Central U.S. time zone, free after 6 PM on every day except Tuesday and Friday, and able to make basically any time on the weekends.

I’m in EST. I can be on either from about 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM, or about 11:00 PM to 1:30 AM. Since I, for the most part, have no life, I can get on at pretty much any time of the day, and the people who have jobs and stuff should come first when it comes to scheduling. Oh, and I am doing things on Mondays, Tuesday nights, and Wednesdays, so I would rather not do those days.

Thank you for your input, I will take it into account when trying to set up our “session zero”.

I am almost done with the blank character sheets, but sadly couldn’t get them completely done due to a lack of time. I’ll have a go at them during my lunch break today, and hopefully finish. Currently I have the Toa version almost done, and the rest of them is simply a matter of changing a few cells here and there.

It’s not the prettiest setup, but I’ve added formulas to the spreadsheets which will auto-calculate your level from EXP, how many Attribute/Skill/Feat points you have available, stat changes based on which points you have invested, and a few other things.

I have not bothered to add auto-lists for all the different powers and feats you may get - we’ll have to keep track of these ourselves. In typical tabletop-fashion I’ve added blank cells for stat modifiers - these will be included in the total and affect the rest of the sheet appropriately, but you have to fill in the modifier yourself.

I’ll provide a link to all of you when I’m done, and then work with each of you to finalize your initial character build. :slight_smile:

While we get the characters sorted out, I’ll finish up some of my planning for the first session of play. This includes plot outline, arriving at the first area, some tests of game mechanics, and so on. I have plenty of ideas for how to do this, but feel free to send me your own.

Before we drop you right into the game, however, it would be nice to have a little chat together, so that we become a bit more familiar. I’ll ask a few questions from the Same Page Tool which we can discuss then. This helps us all be on, well, the same page about what we expect the game to be like.

In the meantime, feel free to send me a message if you have any questions, or post in this topic if there is anything you’d like to discuss.

One thing I could need specific help with: I’m having a hard time finding a tabletop-styled map (or even just an image in general) of an island that is kinda Mata/Voya Nui- like without actually being either of them. I need an island that have pretty much the same places scattered around (jungle, desert, mountain, and so on), and is also of a decent size. I might have to Photoshop this. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My guy (Erdek) is currently a massive glass canon (except without the glass bit admittedly) in any case a massive tank and and someone with four greatnesses in strength should be quite powerful…

1 Like

I made a Toa of Magnetism last night.

CHARACTER SHEETS AVAILABLE.

Rule book available here, for reference:

Blank sheets (Toa, Matoran, Skakdi, Brutaka’s Species; lacking Vortixx) (UPDATE: I messed up the formulas for several things. Not fixed yet.):

Sheets have formulas that auto-calculate the most basic stats and available points per level. You will have to take note of most other modifiers yourself.

I also took the liberty of making some copies that you can edit, and also take a glance at each others’ setups.

@DragonBorn_Ben: Zod (Brute)

@EvilLobsterKing: Unnamed (Skakdi of Iron)

Labouka: Orion (Toa of Fire)

@Leoxandar : Ferrex (Toa of Magnetism)

@Makuta_Luroka: Kuan (Toa of Fire)

@MinusOneEighth: Erdek (Toa of Stone)

@Scorpion_Strike: Mestrelis (Toa of Shadows)

@SmeatyFlavor: Nakavi (Toa of Lightning)

@TurteX: Kruhdak (Toa of Gravity)

I have worked with Labouka to fill in his sheet, so you can look at that for an example as you fill in your own. I will help the rest of you if you ask me to. Please make contact one way or another to determine custom powers and tools, for those of you who have them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve done most one one of these already. Would you like me to finish it? (The island has habitats for ALL types of matoran rather than just the six (since we have iron and gravity characters etc. it made sense)

Hm, maybe. I plan to sprinkle Matoran a bit mix-n-matched, such as both Fire and Plasma in the volcanic region, along with Plant Life in the jungle etc. If you have a map that is not too strange I could use it.

2 Likes