Tahu having 42 powers

Rubber Tahu slithering through crevices and gliding through the air like Elastigirl was not a visual I was ever expecting to have pop into my head. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:Well, then:

2 Likes

pulls out prototype robot size cordak
I’m stealing rubber toa.
Toa Bender, afflicted with elasticisty…

Okay, I have had thoughts on this that I have been meaning to share. I like the idea that Tahu got every single Kraata power, temporarily. It has great story potential. Examples: Tahu has a hard time fighting because he has too many powers to choose from. Tahu starts to go a little crazy with all of the power at his disposal. The Bara Magnans are intimidated by Tahu’s power (somebody, like Metus maybe, could potentially take advantage of this to spread distrust).

In the end, Tahu splits his powers between the Toa Nuva. Wouldn’t you know it, 42 is the perfect number for this! It can be split with 7 powers for each, or 6 powers for each if you count Takanuva!

Here’s how I’d split it up (and the reasons why):

Tahu:

-Fear (Corresponding Rahkshi)

-Heat Vision (Associated with Tahu because it is one of the two confirmed Kraata powers he got. Also, goes well with fire powers)

-Quick Healing (Associated with Tahu because it is the other confirmed Kraata power he got)

-Electricity (Corresponding Bohrok-Kal, also fits with fire powers)

-Chain Lightning (Goes well with electricity)

-Fire Resistance (Enhances Tahu’s innate fire powers)

Gali:

-Disintegration (Corresponding Rahkshi)

-Magnetism (Corresponding Bohrok-Kal)

-Mind Reading (She is already known for basically being able to read people’s minds)

-Rahi Control (Gali would probably be the most responsible with this power. She once took an entire species of Rahi under her care just because she accidently hurt a few!)

-Molecular Disruption (Fits with disintegration)

-Elasticity (Might fit with her water powers. I imagine her being able to become so elastic that she pretty much merges with the water)

Kopaka:

-Anger (Corresponding Rahkshi)

-Sonics (Corresponding Bohrok-Kal)

-Ice Resistance (Enhances his innate ice powers)

-Dodge (Kopaka is more closed off. I assume that he prefers to fight defensively, hence the shield. So I thought that this would fit him)

-Power Scream (Fits with sonics. Gosh, can you imagine Kopaka screaming out of nowhere?!)

-Illusion (In reference to the time he used the Kanohi Mahiki in MNOG)

Pohatu:

-Fragmentation (Corresponding Rahkshi)

-Plasma (Corresponding Bohrok-Kal)

-Slow (Fits with Pohatu’s Kakama powers)

-Accuracy (In reference to the Po-Matorans’ Kolhii skill and Hewkii’s Inika Mask Power)

-Laser Vision (Fits with fragmentation, kind of. He deals with rocks, it might help in a jam)

-Stasis Field (Fits with Slow. Could also be a reference to Avak’s stasis prison ability if you want)

Onua:

-Hunger (Corresponding Rahkshi)

-Gravity (Corresponding Bohrok-Kal)

-Plant Control (Fits as an extension of his earth abilities, since there are no Toa of Plantlife on the team)

-Silence (Onua is the quiet guy of the team. This felt like it fit. Plus, he can more easily sneak around in caves)

-Shapeshifting (Since the user can’t change their mass, I figured that Onua had the most mass to work with, so he could transform into various burly forms. It could also help him navigate caves since the user can stretch into small spaces)

-Confusion (Kind of works in conjunction with Hunger. Incapacitates a foe through their senses)

Lewa:

-Poison (Corresponding Rahkshi)

-Cyclone (Enhances his innate air abilities)

-Vacuum (Corresponding Bohrok-Kal)

-Insect Control (In reference to his use of the Kanohi Komau in MNOG, and also his history with the Krana)

-Weather Control (Enhances his innate air abilities)

-Density Control (Enhances his power with the Kanohi Miru)

Takanuva:

-Darkness (Fits with his Shadow Leach infection powers)

-Chameleon (Similar to the way that light power is depicted in series like Ninjago)

-Limited Invulnerability (This felt like the kind of power that would fit him best, since he’d supposedly be a majorly important character had the story continued)

-Adaptation (Since Takanuva never got adaptive armor, I thought it would only be right to give him this one)

-Sleep (It kind of fits with the whole Darkness theme)

-Teleportation (Kind of related to light. I don’t know why, it just felt right)

Overall, I think that this would be a great way to give the Toa Nuva a much needed power boost to equal them out with the strong opponents they would face, like Tuyet, Marendar, and the GSB. Some of these powers they might not really want (Like the main Rahkshi ones), but they are trusted with them, and maybe they find a way to reverse them into positive powers (like peace instead of anger). I’d love to hear if anybody has any ideas on what they’d do differently with this idea!

4 Likes

I think it’s worth noting that not all the powers he has are gonna be 6th level. There were likely some lower-level Rahkshi in that fight, if Makuta just grabbed whatever was available.

3 Likes

I have always thought that Limited Invulnerability would work like the energy shields in multiple videogames: you are completely immune to damage once the power is activated, but you have a certain timer until the power has to cool down, at which point all damage coming at you would begin taking effect again.

2 Likes

All Rahkshi are the same power level:

2 Likes

Tahu has the Kraata powers though, not the Rahkshi.

Edit: it’s actually pretty unclear. Journey’s End says “the energies of hundreds of Rahkshi” but all the Greg quotes list him as having Kraata powers.

3 Likes

I have always assumed that “kraata powers” is a name for the powerset, regardless of who/what has them.

2 Likes

Kraata powers and Rahkshi powers are one and the same. It’s not unclear at all.

As Jerminator just pointed out, Rahkshi power isn’t effected by Kraata level. A Kraata’s power is. That’s a pretty big difference.

So if say Tahu absorbed the power of a Turahk with a level 2 Kraata: does he have full fear power from the Rahkshi, or level two fear power from the Kraata?

2 Likes

It may come down to a semantic ambiguity, as Makuta are described with kraata powers but automatically have the highest level, like a Rahkshi does. If I recall correctly, Tahu toasted the kraata, not the Rahkshi, so lower levels might be on the table, but maybe Tahu is operating by Makuta standards and skipped ahead in line to the higher level.

Now, if he does have lower levels, the follow-up question is will he gradually climb to level six or is he stuck at the level he absorbed?

It’s a bit unclear, depending on what we’re talking about.

If we’re just talking about what Tahu can do, then you’re right; as I said, the “Rahkshi Powers” and “kraata powers” are the same powerset.

However, if we’re talking about how effectively Tahu can do these things, it really is unclear; Tahu only destroyed the kraata, yet absorbed the “energies of hundreds of Rahkshi”. The former would suggest that he got whatever those specific kraata had, but the the latter kind of suggests that he got Rahkshi-level powers.

I would think not, since levelling up is related to kraata growth, which Tahu probably can’t replicate, but I can’t say for sure.

Similar ideas were brought up to Greg, but it never really went anywhere:

1 Like

Maybe not.

According to Mata Nui Saga:

The kraata slugs driving Rahkshi armor are turned into dust, and the empty warrior shells fall to the ground.

And according to Comic 7: Rebirth

One by one, the Rahkshi fall, the Kraata inside them now ashes.

BUT Journey’s End, the source of the “energies of hundreds of Rahkshi” quote, has this to say:

As combatants on both sides watched, the Rahkshi’s armor disintegrated and the kraata slugs inside them exploded into shards of shadow.

(The Kraata turn into dust in one, ash in another, shadow in the third – it’s the “which moon killed Teri” debate all over again!)

Greg doesn’t want Tahu to have all the Rahkshi powers

Not definitive, but this combined with the wording from JE would imply that he would have full Turahk powers in that case.

Also, not sure if this counts as a forgetcon, but Greg stated on multiple occasions that Tahu would lose the powers if he took off the armor:

2 Likes

This is where we get into the definitions of “Rahkshi Powers” vs. “kraata powers” as discussed above. To me, Greg’s use of the phrase “powers of the Rahkshi” is only meant to convey the types of powers that Tahu gained, not necessarily the strengths of those powers.

I don’t think this is a forgetcon. Despite the fact that earlier quotes said that Tahu would no longer rely on the armour, the third quote you posted loosely addresses the contradiction, and Greg specifically says why he would want the powers to be tied to the armour.

I also noticed that, in the quote you posted regarding Tahu not having all 42 powers, Greg also implied that the powers were tied to the armour:

I can tell you that if he did have all those powers, I would have found a way to get the armor away from him or destroy it.

This quote was made well before any of the three quotes you posted explicitly stating this.

Personally, I prefer the idea of the powers being tied to the armour. It feels less MacGuffin-y to have the armour be a separate artifact (basically the legacy of the Makuta species), rather than a one-use thing to supercharge a main character.

With this story idea, the purpose of the armour would be to absorb the powers of the Makuta so that someone else could restart/take over their role in the universe, rather than just destroying kraata for the sake of destroying kraata.

EDIT: This is interesting:

3 Likes