Tempest - OOC Topic

Honestly? Very nice :sunglasses:

Dan Heng and Syn are Approved.

If you can solve your skill issue enough to post once a day/two days, I’d be more than glad to have you on board for the worst possible time :goo:

3 Likes

Now now, don’t be so hasty.

It could be a few weeks :sparkles:

Do we send drafts here or via DMs (depending on the state of WIP they are in)?

3 Likes

A few weeks can be less than a month :smirk:

Safest bet is to DM if you’ve got a draft you’re unsure of; that way I can help you iron out the kinks ahead of posting.

3 Likes

HUMAN

Name: Vyvian “V-V” Racster

Appearance: V-V is about 5’3" tall with a scrawny build, sun-bleached skin, hazel eyes, and dirty blonde hair. When not balled up in a dark brown beanie, V-V tends to keep her hair straight and it just goes past the shoulders. Tends to wears her dad’s old, brown, beat-up Carhartt over a T-■■■■■ and a pair of worn blue jeans. Both the coat and jeans are patched together with duct tape and all the shirts use either tape, paint, or glue for their graphics. Which can say any one of the following:

• “Mommy’s Moneymaker
    Daddy’s Bank Breaker”
  • “My god, king, and country is Earth!”
  • “America the (formerly) beautiful”
  • “water cycle > money cycle”
  • “Christmas Graveyard :christmas_tree:
  • “Reduce and Reuse, not Supersize and Disposable.”
  • “Robots deserve your jobs”

Aside from this, she wears a pair of customized pastel-blue cotton gloves. Each finger has snaps so they can be pulled back and fastened to the back of the hand to make fingerless gloves. And is often wearing a pair of pink hiking boots.

Tools/Weapons: A level-two driver’s learning permit, a hunting knife, a small box of snap crackers, a small point-and-shoot camera, whatever model phone dad had last, duct tape, and a small sewing kit.

Personality/Bio/Motivations: The latest in young spunky rebels against big corporations; hates name brands and loves nature. Though she’s stuck at the phase of shouting to make change yet unsure of how to do it or fight it. At least when she isn’t distracted by one of her idols, be they the pop kind or environmental warriors. Highly cynical about a few services she had researched, such as recycling, but continues to participate for now.

One of Sarah’s corrupted youths and the reason V-V was dragged to the CHAOS meeting. Sarah is responsible for V-V mostly wearing hand-me-downs’ and whatever scraps of material she can use to keep the clothes lasting longer. She has yet to fully learn Sarah’s more sensible fashion, that part, like a lot of Sarah’s policies, are fully lost on her. But it sounded good!

I was talking about my character concept earlier and Keith beat me to the punch on writing up the human. But I have no better idea for the human at the moment, so this variant will do for now.

Potential Quotes:

“Spacemen didn’t build the pyramids, they built the factories.”

“Acorns are real!”

“The moon was Earth 1.0! Don’t ruin our second chance!”

“My Barbie is more real than this cheese.”

REVENANT

Name: Sumbolon

Appearance: When outside of the object, Sumbolon’s form frequently changes. Sometimes he’s a floating pop-up ad for a particular brand and other times he’s a twisted version of a brand’s mascot or logo. When he can’t be bothered, he’s a blank humanoid template with a “Your Ad Here” on it. The object Sumbolon currently hides in is a BIC Cristal with a red cap.

Powers/Abilities: [Brand] Loyalty/It’s [Brand] or Nothin’.

Sumbolon’s powers are fully reliant upon the branding of the object he hides within. While attached to this branding, he’ll become a fanatical warrior for said brand and refuse to use anything else. When forced to use objects that are not of the brand, Sumbolon will use his powers to transform the object into a version of itself as though it was made by that brand.

For example, say Sumbolon was in a Nerf blaster. If they came across a Smith & Wesson revolver, Sumbolon’s power would cause the weapon to become a Nerf revolver; a toy gun that only fires foam darts. Now if they came across a Ford truck and Sumbolon used his power, this could have a number of results. It could transform the truck into one of powered ride-on toy cars with Nerf theming or a strange reality where Nerf entered the auto-industry and developed weird spring-powered engine trucks.

Other than changing the item into something manufactured by [Brand], Sumbolon has no control over it becomes. Old brands with large product history are safer and more predictable for their results. Young brands, or ones that specialize in a few products, have more wild results (such as a curtain rod manufacture suddenly having one of the best firearms). Additionally, Sumbolon must be touching the object in order to change it and the larger the object, the longer it takes to change. A handgun would change instantly, a small car would take several seconds.

Also, he cannot alter everything into [Brand] version of itself - he can only do it to manufactured items. So he can’t change people, trees, animals, etc. or any other sort of things into [Brand]. But he can do it to clothes, trash, roads, buildings, etc. Objects that are changed into [Brand] remain that way, unless Sumbolon reverses it.

Personality/Motivations: The pop-up ad of a used car salesman mixed with a loyal soldier of the console wars, Sumbolon is only about one thing really - world domination of [brand]. If he can’t sell you on [brand], he’ll sing its praises and trash talk all other options. It’s difficult to tell if these are genuine and passionate opinions or lifeless corporate speak - perhaps both simultaneously. Though for what brand and company Sumbolon is really trying to help become the universe-running megacorp, he can’t remember. Whatever that true brand is, everything would be better if it was [brand].

If [Brand] product ever fails them, he’ll make excuses for the company. Though if the failures are frequent or egregious enough, he will realize this is not the brand he’s fighting for and turn on them.

Potential Quotes:

“There’s no reason to be so brave when you could wear [Brand]!”

“I don’t mean to alarm you, but we appear to be in something not made by [Brand]. Do you know how many cancers that causes in the State of California?”

“Of course I know that! I know everything about [Brand] except anything negative!”

“I have never been more terrified. They’re not using it according to company recommendations.”

“People. As brands. . . . You disgust me.”

4 Likes

Hmm, for Revenant characters, what kind of names would be appropriate? Would names linking to real-world things make sense, or should we try to come up with alien nonsense?

EDIT: Also are there no exceptions to ‘teens and young adults?’

3 Likes

the whiplash of this post shattered every vertebrae in my spinal cord

3 Likes

I probably should have put it in dropdown menus.

2 Likes

You know what I wanna see a boards RP not die in three weeks.
Expext a character tonight

2 Likes

i have redirected pertinent documentation your way

2 Likes

Well, I can say that Nota’s Revenant signup he’s working on is a pun only Ghid would be proud of, and the only limit I really have is making sure I know how to pronounce it.

You’ll have to convince me, but I’m open to quite a bit.

I’d say sure, you can have an exception - it’ll just take more convincing. But I honor creativity and good writing. :goo:

Good luck lol
Also, :goo:

Honestly, Sumbolon’s powers and appearance are really confusing. Changing form constantly is one thing, but this powerset converts anything he touches into the best version of itself, which is really subjective. Not to mention it requires me to conjure up a bunch of fake products for you to pull from.

I like the vibe, but the power is gonna be a problem just because of how difficult it is to work in.

Meanwhile Vyvian is great and no edits needed. :sunglasses: :+1:

Once your Revenant is worked out, she’ll be approved no issue.

4 Likes

I see where I went wrong. To clarify, it doesn’t change things into the best version, just what that company would have made if it was making that item. The example I used about the curtain rods was the Glock. The Glock was made by a man that was known for curtain rods. This wouldn’t always be the case, just one of the wild IRL examples we have of unexpected well-design products.

I was planning on using real product brands rather than fictional ones. But if it’s considered too much work regardless, I had a couple other Revenant ideas, so I can polish up one of those. Though on a power-level range, was this considered within reason or a bit too much?

3 Likes

Yeah, a little - plus it’s even more subjective than I initially thought, seeing as it’s going to be difficult how good of a semi-automatic handgun Tiger Electronics would’ve made. There also wasn’t an object specified in the signup, but I also realize I never added a category for that, which MakutaOisli blinded me to by adding it himself, and I’ll add it to the signup in a moment.

However, I am definitely a sucker for fresh ideas, and this one was definitely off the wall. I look forward eagerly to your next Revenant concept :goo:

4 Likes

I actually did state the object he resides in, it was just in the Appearance section. He’s in a BIC Pen. But alright, understood. Tone down the reality warping. I should have a new Revenant in a couple of days.

Thanks for still liking the power concept regardless. You said you wanted wacky powers and that is something I can most certainly deliver.

4 Likes

Oh I’m fine with reality warping, just not something so open-ended :smirk:

:goo:

4 Likes

“Just not something so open-ended”

interesting
very interesting

2 Likes

Don’t have the time to do a proper character sheet for my Revenant right now, so I’ll throw in the main stuff and complete it tomorrow

Of course I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t do a fully fledged illustration of my RP character :smirk:

Name: Zenn
Ability: healing through damage. Can heal one person by dealing damage to another. And she packs quite a punch, so deal damage she can
Personality: laid back, doesn’t have a single care in the world, the chillest person in existence. Perhaps a bit too lazy for her own good. Prone to falling asleep at random moments

Again, I’ll expand this with more precise info tomorrow

9 Likes

alright character draft got put on the back burner for the night because halo grind go brr (the weekly is basically my reach color palette so I had to), but there will 100% be a character put up in the next two days

3 Likes

Revenant

Name: The Undying Spirit

Appearance: Something of a shapeshifter at times, especially for the thematic. However, as of general he takes the form of a man in his early thirties with a friendly if very generic and non-descript face with a dirty blonde hair, slim and toned with a love for good exercise.

His item on the other hand, is a more normal thing, at least for the good old days. It’s a Muppet, a more classic version made with felt, good solid wood, and the odd half golf-ball for the eyes. It’s comical, clearly made as a parody of some kid’s show, but not one anyone could really place. A nice little 1920’s style Muppet, mouth, eyes, and all.

Power/Abilities:

Fight of the ■■■■■■: FAIR FIGHT!
A unique ability among most, when triggered it snaps reality around it into that of an old school boxing house. Combatants are chosen and placed into the ring. They are unable to leave until the fight is over between them and a victor is decided.

All combatants in the ring find their power halved and equally split between them, be this physical strength, abilities, or otherwise, this ability in question assures, a f a i r f i g h t. It is demanded, not implied.

If death occurs in the arena, then the halving is permanent, thusly causing some very fun situations in the past, if one could remember it. For such things have existed and always will.

A skill in combat is quite prevalent, and he is very quick on his feet, and his ability to throw a well timed punch with a devilish speed. He’s a street boxer, or was, or could have been. Who knows, he surely doesn’t, and by that nature neither do we.

Personality/Motivations:
He’s quite the eccentric fellow so loud you could almost mistake him for an American! However, this very clearly isn’t the case, despite him looking like he comes out of the 1920’s prohibition era, at least most of the time.

The core belief that this funny little fellow believes in is pure human spirit and determination, and he’ll go on long winded rants on old fights he claims to have been in, although no one can really tell if he’s making it up, or was actually there. There’s no real way to tell, and he doesn’t seem to quite…care if anyone truly believes him.

2 Likes

:imp:

might need to spell this out

2 Likes

ha ha, no best not, just flavor text.

1 Like