The Antidermis pool (Gilahu's Brotherhood Project Makuta WIPs)

Update on @AdamusTheFirst’s Makuta Fenerak:

New upper legs and I have begun work on the torso.

I think I accidentally made the torso a little longer… helps with the proportions of the arms, though.

Currently contemplating if the texture of the knee armor fits in or if I should replace it. I’m tending toward replacing it, currently, even though the parts really fit nicely together there. Might use Nuva chestplates and something else instead…

8 Likes

The arms look like they could fall out at any moment…

I must agree, the kneepads don’t fit, they have a more polished texture to them that doesn’t go well with the rest.

2 Likes

How do the axles not fall out of the upper arm axle holes?

Axles are actually pretty strong, and those rubber-reinforced axle connectors attached to the Inika torso have a surprisingly-strong grip, IIRC…

Plus, I’m pretty sure @Gilahu is going to fill out the upper arms with armor at some point, which may balance out the weight ratio a bit…

3 Likes

Update on @AdamusTheFirst’s Makuta Fenerak: The revamp is more or less finished now.

Just not sure about the head yet - it certainly works, but I’m not yet sure if it’s actually good or just kinda alright. Opinions?

Otherwise I’m planning to upload Fenerak and Vulon on the same day. Still haven’t made any progress on Vulon’s skirt, though…

11 Likes

I get what you were going for, but it doesn’t really work too well. It might look better with a longer neck, but right now it just looks like a lump with eyes on his shoulders. I’d say you might want to remove the exo-force arms on the cheeks, or redo the mouth, but first see if it looks better with a longer neck.

2 Likes

Hm… If it changes anything, think of it less as a head and more as a mask/helmet on top of bulky armor. See that bit of the dark grey axle benath the front grille? That would be the mouth position.

He has actually quite a lot more neck than anything witha standard Metru head construction would have.

Okay, so less like a noble Huna, and more like a death trooper helmet then.

I’d say perhaps put something outside the eyes, to make it look more like a helmet; a 1*2 technical half-beam on both sides would probably work.

(Click to see the whole image)

You might also consider using gunmetal or black for the exo-force arms so they stand out from the torso more (I would say light grey, but I don’t think they come in that colour). The silver only being on that part of the mask makes it look more like part of his torso/neck, and harder to see what you’re going for.

2 Likes

That head is a mood

5 Likes

Next up is Jsasax, Makuta of Stelt. Just finished the lower legs. Colour scheme will probably be black with purple and a few trans dark blue accents.

Since the Makuta of Stelt is a canon Makuta - even though we don’t know how he looks - I’ll not stick too close to @RedHuna101’s MOC (pictures of which are lost anyways, although I have my rough drawing and also remember a few things beyond that) this time around.

Still, have a picture of my drawing to get the rough idea I’ll still follow:

The first major difference is that I won’t make my MOC digitigrate. The tail I even left out on the drawing, I also won’t include it on the MOC. The cloak was also artistic liberty in the drawing - but I’ll definitely give the MOC one.

6 Likes

How are all of these lads coming along?

1 Like

The picture in the first post is the current overview of the finished MOCs.

Otherwise I’ve more or less completed the legs of Jasax since my last post. New bricklink order is supposed to arrive today, then I’ll continue on the torso.

Unfortunately my favorite bricklink store have cut their Bionicle sortiment (cheap and great selction) in November, though. I have accumulated quite a lot of special parts, but in the future it probably will be way harder for me to aquire more which I expect to show eventually.

1 Like

Ok, update on Jasax, Makuta of Stelt:

Not yet too sure about the torso, to be honest. Used an Inika chestplate because I couldn’t think of anything better (original used that normal CCBS torso armor with the chestplate addon). Might seem a little plain right now, but at least the area down to the heartlight will be covered by a cloak eventually. That’s also why there isn’t any fancy shoulder stuff.
Still gonna figure out how to add more trans dark blue/what else to do on the knees.

8 Likes

Alright, update:

Jasax:

More or less finished now. Don’t worry if the neck seems too long, that should be fixed by the addition of the cloak. ALso replaced the trans dark blue on the knees with trans purple. The trans purple radar dish on the chest will be used to hold the cloak together, but otherwise there won’t be any more trans purple. Personally I feel like the knees work, but feel free to tell me if they don’t in your opinion.

More importantly though, and something I’d really appreciated some feedback on - the weapon. @RedHuna101’s Jasax had a hook hand. While fitting for someone governing Stelt, I considered the fact that a shapeshifter would walk around with only one hand. Then I remembered that Sidorak had this nice folding blade. So why not give Jasax something like that, too?
Unfortunately the hookblade isn’t the best part for such a function, but I managed to make it work. In the pictures below you see it extended (which I think looks decent). As well as folded with a straight arm and a bent arm. And I’m really wondering… is it a nice enough touch to keep even though it’s such a massive, outsticking thing?

And also finally figured out a first idea for the feet of the revamp of @darkbrick999 Wanitama. I actually wanted to start on Wanitama for quite a while now, since I really want to use some Mata red for once, but the feet were a bit of a problem thus far, since they’re more like hooves that classic feet, and I really wanted to have that in my revamp, too.
As far as ideas go, I’m also toying with the thought of trying to incorporate (non-functional) gears here and there into his design, since the original had a function in the shoulders. With the feet here those gears also just fit in perfectly - they will eventually be replaced with black ones, by the way.

The left one is the pure foot design, the right one gives an idea of how I plan to transition it optically into the legs.

7 Likes

Loving the way Jsasax looks! I actually think the Inika torso armor works really well on him, as it matches the more greebly armor pieces you’ve chosen. I like the way the knees look, personally–something about the flow of the purple hand piece, the black Pohatu Nuva claws, and the black Nui-Jaga stinger is very pleasing, and i like that the aesthetic of his lower legs matches both the upper legs and his feet.

Regarding the weapon, I actually think it looks very cool. Personally, I find that it looks better folded than extended, because the inner shape of the hook-blade melds really well with the figure’s arm (when the arm is bent–it’s a little wonky with the straight arm). I do like the way it looks extended as well, and I think that it would actually be a pretty decent and practical weapon.

I think the foot design for Wanitama is really cool–I like the way you incorporated the gears.

Keep up the good work! Really looking forward to seeing these two come together!

1 Like

I like that a lot, actually. The idea with the gears is a good one. Also, in the revamp that I’m working on, I’m switching the yellow out for light blue- but you can use either one you like better for this model.

1 Like

Wanitama update (@darkbrick999):

I have lower legs now. Even managed to integrate gears. Though I’m not sure about the back yet. I’d ideally want some more red there as well. Gray parts are placeholders.

I don’t have enough gears for the lower legs yet, but after borrowing a few from my Slizer sets enough that I could try out three variants:

Which one do you prefer?

6 Likes

I think I’d go with the first one, that has the yellow gears. It’s the brighter colors that make him unique from the other Makuta.

Update:
I’ve more-or-less finished my own Wanitama & Manguopo revamps: Titans | Flickr
As you can see, I made his accent color light blue instead of yellow, to make him stand out from Manguopo, who I’ve also revamped (I’m going to give them both proper topics soon, when I have time to sit down and rewrite all of their lore, but I thought I’d show them to you now, in case Wanitama might give you ideas for his revamp).

1 Like

Gonna give feedback on the MOCs when you post them here, but it’s great to see how much you’ve improved in MOCing since you did the originals.

Probably gonna keep yellow on my Wanitama revamp, though. The legs so far aren’t really suited for replacing the yellow and getting in some light blue… Except if you insist I guess I could make the gears black, the pieces above them light blue and the yellow part in the center also light blue.

I’m currently not stocked at all for doing anything in light blue, however. But then due to the contests I haven’t worked much on Wanitama since the last update anyways.