The "Art of Bionicle" scans are uploaded on BZpower

Interesting to see that they envisioned the City of the Mask Makers to be Manhattan sized. In the story it is definitely smaller.

5 Likes

One of the 2017 villains;
http://i.imgur.com/fcEPCB5.png

Wait…

http://i.imgur.com/O6ii9ex.png

Oh…

rip POHATU 2015 - 2017

18 Likes

Goodness, to think of all the potential directions BIONICLE could have gone had it continued. An Exo Rhino? Tahu with a shield and gunmetal armor? All very interesting concepts.

I really commend the art team for showing all of these interesting designs. Heck, some of those other creature designs would’ve been neat alternatives for the ones we got, particularly the snakelike Stone Slicer and the Manta Kite.

11 Likes

how do you know he is going to die next year

1 Like

The ketar with a saw looks awesome

2 Likes

Personally the knight inspired Tahu designs are my favourite :3

Although the villain shares elements with the skull villains, his design features attributes that were given to the ‘demonic’ beings in the concept art - which appeared to have been where the summer 2017 storyline was taking place as we see the Toa in a shadowy realm.

The villain itself includes pieces released recently in Star Wars 2016 summer sets, a waist swivvel from the 2016 Winter Wave and transparent bones which were going to be introduced as a feature for the 2017 villains.

The setting is also similar to the very last piece of concept art teasing the Toa entering the shadow/demonic realm to confront Makuta. He likely was not going to die and they just wanted to create impressive concept art, but i think its definitely something worthy of a bit of discussion as to whether Lego actually would have killed off Pohatu or another Toa.

3 Likes

The feels…

also skull blazer for the win(somebody MOC him please)

3 Likes

You know most of these designs rivals G1. If the Bionicle team was allowed to do whatever they wanted, this probably would have been the best years of Bionicle ever.

Also this gives me new respect to the Bionicle team.

3 Likes

Someone please build a few good MOCs of some of the unused concept creatures and villians.

Umarak was great as a set, but I just wish we would’ve gotten more villains like him. Instead we got gappy skeletons and ugly beasts as villains… oh, and a spider. Yay! :expressionless:

2 Likes

i just realised something, we are missing some of the other consept art for the skull villains, we only have the Demon warrior, but not the rest of the old skull designs:

8 Likes

Interesting. What do you think held them back?

1 Like

You know things like budget and not selling enough to get a second year.

2 Likes

Looking through all of these images, some of the ideas looked amazing. Also, you can tell that Lego was thinking about Bionicle G2 almost right after G1 ended since they had that concept art that used the HF 2.0 heads

2 Likes

Mmhh… right. Since they were planning everything several years ahead they weren’t able to use super expensive and interesting for 2015 because they didn’t now yet if it was worth it. And it turned out it wasn’t which lead to the, in comparison to the concepts, underwelming sets of 2016.

1 Like

I really liked the Tahu concepts and the landscape art. It’s really cool and show the team was really passionate, but limited. I am so glad this generation happened.
I also liked the idea of the Toa being Monster Hunter-esque and multiple creatures.
But yeah, it’s a shame they were so limited. Had they the resources, this would’ve been the best years of Bionicle ever.

5 Likes

Ok I’ve got new moc ideas for the ability/armour/weapon concepts of beasts now

1 Like

Hmmm this reminds me of something.

14 Likes

I’m salty that they didn’t make that a set

2 Likes

For me, scrolling through this art book has quickly become a sad reminder of how much I wanted to explore the world of Okoto.

So many good concepts at work here- I particularly enjoyed how they were planning the villain progression(Necromancer -> Wendigo -> Cthulu -> Evil Overlord sorta deal).

It hadn’t really struck me how properly the stakes were escalating, nor how well in tune with the tribal atmosphere our baddies were before now. I suppose that’s the fault of poor media presentation.

And that’s just one panel; the countless landscape shots and blurbs about the masks and character designs… They present the kind of mystical world I wanted(and still want!) to see.

It’s been a couple months since I’ve been actively angry about G2’s cancellation/handling, but being given a full view of concepts that I had already found exciting in principle just kind of hits me hard. This is why I was hopeful about G2; there were so many cool ideas in the works. Seeing them at face value just reminds me that they were squandered.

Regardless, I’m glad we got the chance to see this. I appreciate the insight.

13 Likes

I would’ve bought the Necromancer and the Wendigo/Shaman as fast as humanly possible.

5 Likes