The Bionicle G1/G2 Connection Theory Topic

Because G2 could be connected to G1, it is very important.

Here’s another post I posted in the BIONICLE 2015 Discussion topic, but I think it can be accepted here.

BBC1Wholock1

I can’t find the post that said it, but someone asked if BIONICLE 2015 could be like Star Trek.

You know.
> There’s a long story which is very successful. Then it stops. Years later, they reboot it, but tie it back into the old universe.

We’ve already had a couple of parallel/the same characters and events, and yet they are also so different.

Example:
In BIONICLE G1, there were two brothers Mata Nui and Makuta. Makuta put Mata Nui in a deep sleep. Later, the Toa were prophesied to come to Mata Nui, an island. Later, the Toa washed up on the shore, and went on a quest to claim their Golden Kanohi and awaken Mata Nui.

In BIONICLE G2, there are two brothers Ekimu and Makuta. They both fell into a deep sleep. Later, the Toa were prophesied to come to Okoto, an island. Later the Toa fell from the sky and went on a quest to claim their Golden Masks of Power, and awaken Ekimu.

EDIT: Is Tahu, Master of Fire going to meet Tahu Mata, Toa of Fire?
Off-topic:
:pensive: -Rest in peace Leonard Nimoy.

6 Likes

I can assure all of you with absolute certainty that it is NOT a continuation.

1 Like

Yeah… I doubt that it’s anything BUT a placeholder. They probably didn’t have a vector for Okoto. They had animated images and that dynamic online map, but I don’t think we’ve ever seen a graphic like that.

That said, it might also be an intentional easter egg that only fans will notice.(that may or may not have any story relevance whatsoever)

3 Likes

The best scenario I can think of for connecting G1 to G2 would be to pull a Star Trek, having someone from G1/G2 travel back in time to change everything. We have the Mask of Time. I think the best example for what I’m talking about is the Flashpoint Paradox. In said comic/movie the Flash travels back in time to save his mother. By breaking the Time Barrier he creates ripples through time, much like breaking the Sound barrier creates a sonic boom. The ripples and fractures of time alter all of history, changing events even though they weren’t directly affected by the Flash. Contrast to the Star Trek Univese where Spock and Forgettable-Bad-Guy cause the timeline to change directly. If this was how the G1 or G2 universe came to being it would mean that the universes are one but not the same.

5 Likes

Remember people, the Vahi can’t time travel

1 Like

Can it? We just never had a user strong enough to use it’s full power. The mask is the embodiment of time itself. That’s why destroying it was such a big deal. The only other masks that contained that kind of power would be the Mask of Life, or the MoC. The destruction of those would only affect those in the GSR. The G2 MoT might not even be the Vahi, or its powers are different like the G2 MoC compared to its G1 counterpart.

There’s also that theory where the G2 universe exist because of the possibility of Vakama destroying the Vahi, and the “other half of the Vahi” theory (but that one has no real base, so I don’t really consider it a possibility)

1 Like

Lego Did say that with the Vahi in BIONICLE 2 film in the special features, they mentioned that you can go back in time and change it. But in the Story, the mask wasn’t properly used all that well.

2 Likes

inb4 We are seeing Mata Nui instead of Okoto. /s

After think this through, I think that it is Lego giving us a subtle nod. REJOICE! LEGO HAS NOTICED US! SEMPAI NOTICED US! Got the perfect musics: https://youtu.be/nbJqNAVeRdc?t=40s
:wink:

2 Likes

I really think it’s just an easter egg, or the photo isn’t final, like they already said the netflix show would be on okoto, they wouldn’t randomly switch locations

1 Like

As of now that is also what I think. It wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense for Mata Nui to return.

I’m getting conflicted sources, in the comic it’s Nuju who tells Kopaka his name, but I think in the book they remember their names. Tell us your theory anyway.

1 Like

Oh so you are saying that this happens before g1. Hug ever thought of that.

2 Likes

Tahu did, according to Tale of the Toa.

I think it was implied that they all knew their names (or at least remembered them well enough to associate them with themselves). In G2, however, they most definitely do NOT remember their names (evidenced by Episode 2, where Tahu asks who he is).

That fact alone seems important to me, as does Izotor’s line to Kopaka in Island of Lost Masks, where he implied that the Toa were supposed to know who they were, and know the other Toa by name as well. Perhaps the Protectors know of their adventures in G1, and expected them to recall what had happened.

2 Likes

Unlikely. PoE is a girl and PoW is a guy. Also they have different names, though I suppose they could always change those.

2 Likes

I doubt that, too. After all, Ryder Windham said that it was his idea to make Korgot a girl and Kivoda a guy, and the story team was all for it. If they planned on making the Protectors turn into the Mata, I doubt they would’ve agreed to the change.

1 Like

SPECULATION:
Or maybe it will be a paradox, in which maybe the G2 Toa are named because the G1 Toa were named after the G2 Toa came. Or vice-versa.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, didn’t Korgot talk about Onua’s hammer? In G1 Onua never had a hammer, yet the legends describe him with one.

2 Likes

This is what Bionicle fans do when they are told to speculate about connections between generations.

Personally I just think The island of Mata-Nui is a placeholder but I wont discount the possibility of it meaning something.

1 Like

Yeah. Izotor talked about the shield-skate thing, too. But just because they’re described with certain weapons doesn’t mean that them being the Toa Nuva is out of the question. Maybe the Nuva changed weapons/forms at some point on Spherus Magna…

2 Likes

I can say with 100% certainty that G2 and G1 are not in the same universe, and that the Protectors are 100% not the Toa Mata. I don’t know whether the island is a placeholder or not, but it does not mean G2 happens before or after G1

3 Likes

Genders don’t match,
builds don’t match,
personalities don’t match,

Not to mention, we already know the mata’s backstory.

3 Likes