The BioTube Channel Has Cancelled All Future Stop-Motion Projects

Following the recent situation surrounding the new policies of YouTube, Biotube, a YouTube Channel that has been active since 2012 formally has announced the cancellation of all future stop motion projects. The current risks of launching a stop motion are far too excessive to consider using YouTube any further. I’m not going to bother explaining it. You are already aware of the current situation with Coppa and YouTube. i’m sure TTV will make a video about it once their videos start getting demonetized for simply reviewing Bionicle oriented content. Regardless, heres the release from facebook a short while ago.

“End of Line: Due to the current situation regarding upcoming policy changes with YouTube, All Stop-Motion Projects including : Bionicle Generations, Bionicle AGE, Bionicle Legends, and Crossfire Endgame have been Cancelled Due to risks Stemming from the current environment of the Site. While it is unlikely that any of these projects will ever be animated general Story Synopsis of each series and Crossfire Endgame will be released, Following this release, Keith Myers will be Leaving Biotube for a while to address other projects. We thank you for these last five years of support but we have reached a point where the channel just doesn’t have the support to merit a future. Thanks for your understanding in these unfortunate times. We hope that there will be a future for BioTube as unlikely as it is.”

2 Likes

I was not aware that Biotube was actually a channel, I thought it was the name of the Bionicle Youtubers community, but this sucks.
This whole change of policy sucks.
Since I first discovered Bionicle I really wanted to do stupid stop motions and post them on youtube, and I definetely am not the only one who haven’t achieved this goal, but now this goal really isn’t achievable anymore.
I forsee a migration on other sites. So many news YT/Twitch like platforms are slowly rising under our legs, we just don’t notice them. They might just be the future of the stop motion community.

1 Like

Hopefully…

This new changes won’t just be the end of BioTube, but the end of LEGO on YouTube as a whole.

I wonder, do the rules apply to unlisted videos?

Because if they don’t or at least not to the same degree, you could put them as unlisted, and post the links on another site.

All of them are effected either you mark them or youtube will do it for you.

Okay then. Well, that’s annoying. I have 1 video of the game XCOM2, and now I have to mark it.

Wait, could somebody fill me in on what’s going on with the Youtube 2020 rules news? I can’t seem to find an explanation & I’m just coming back to the site after a while so I have no knowledge of current events.

Check out this video.

As he says, it’s not definitive, but he gives a good overview, and he points you in the right direction.

2 Likes

This seems like overreacting to me. Why all the doom and gloom?

Yes, YouTube’s landscape will fundamentally change come January first. Yes, certain content creators will no longer be able to rely on advertising-based revenue or YouTube-hosted community features. But YouTube does not have a monopoly on hosting content. They are simply the largest platform around (which is why they’re being regulated by the FTC in the first place).

So please, whatever you do, don’t stop making the things that you enjoy creating. We as a community may just have to work a little harder to share our work with one another. I’ve been in online LEGO circles (especially YouTube) since 2009. That was before AdSense, the “algorithm”, the notification bell and all these other features we take for granted nowadays. The community survived just fine back then.

In fact, I would argue that YouTube was a much healthier place without the potential for overnight fame and fortune. So maybe, in the grand scheme of things, this whole YouTube/FTC/COPPA situation will actually push our community in a healthy new direction. We will no longer be able to rely on mega-platforms like YouTube to gain exposure. We will have to do the work ourselves. And I for one can’t wait to get started.

Edited title to avoid potentially inflammatory confusion -danjsavard

2 Likes

The biggest issue is that there won’t be any comments anymore. Without comments, there is no interaction. Without interaction, there is no community.

No, the biggest problem is that these channels would not be featured in the recommended section. If so, then nobody will ever discover them, and they will not get any new subscribers, or at least their numbers will dramatically drop.
Is what legomaster just said true? Maybe. But this is excluding a lot of vital things like the recommandation bar or the comment section. Not to mention that just because a state that was old was also better in some way doesn’t mean that we should return to it.
Interbellum was great!
But you would be considered crazy if you would push the societhy back to that era.
Youtube is de-evoluating. This, by default, is bad, especially giving the current context.

Indeed. The easiest and simplest way to respond to online video content will go away. However, that doesn’t mean we can’t simply move our discussions to other places (such as fan forums LEGO the TTV Boards or Eurobricks). These forums may need to amend some of their rules and guidelines to accommodate a rapid influx of video content, but they are still a viable option.

We will definitely see some radical changes in how people discover and consume LEGO and other toy-related content. However, as I outlined previously, communities will likely be able to move to forum platforms to foster discussion and discover-ability (creators may only use YouTube as a way to host content).

Of course not, but what is happening to YouTube right now follows a pattern that I have seen time and time again in communities (especially LEGO). When new services/platforms grow to a certain size, they very often become regulated and controlled in order reduce the potential for people to abuse the service to harm others.

We don’t know exactly how things will play out. We’ll just have to wait and see.

And tell me, what happens next?

The speculations are bad enough to at least worry me.

I see a few potential outcomes:

1. The situation stabilizes once the troublemakers (toxic and harmful kids channels) are removed from the system (and possibly made an example of). The central authority (in this case the FTC) sees that the remaining contributors are able to self-regulate and comply with their demands. The FTC dedicates less and less time and money to active policing and things gradually return too the way they were before (more or less).

2. The FTC/YouTube regulate things more and more strictly. YouTube uses its vast resources (through Google) to absorb or bankrupt competing video platforms. Smaller creators cannot easily survive on their own in this ecosystem. Creators go to work for large channel networks that employ dozens of people and are regulated by YouTube. The net result: YouTube becomes like a cable network which constantly churns out products and is slow to accepts creativity and innovation.

3. The FTC/YouTube’s increasingly strict regulations push independently minded creators to other platforms. These alternative platforms may not have the same reach as Google’s internet empire, but they slowly build up their own healthy community. These communities would likely have to be paid for via donations from its member-base. These communities will also likely stick clear of copyrighted content owned by mega-corporations such as Disney. Overall, these communities will never have the same reach as YouTube, but they could turn into bastions for creativity and innovation.

1 Like

Your trust for the TFC is kinda puzzleing.
Plus, the changes would not go away.

Which is the worst possible outcome.

Which seems the most likely.

I don’t “trust the FTC”. I simply believe that they most likely won’t have the resources to actively police every corner of YouTube. That would be a massive money-sink for very little perceived gain.

But again: a lot of inocent channel will get axed.

They’re not going to get taken down (unless they try to go against YouTube’s new policies of course). They’ll just get new limitations imposed on them and have to adapt accordingly.

We need to collectively Ok Boomer the government.

1 Like