The Brotherhood of Makuta - What About a Community MOC Project?

here’s the deal. I have my MOC complete to the point where I’m satisfied. However, I’ve kind of lost all drive to complete his story.

1 Like

Wrote down some thoughts about the Brotherhood’s hierachy and organization (only three pages this time ;P):

1. Hierarchy:

Only few Makuta have an official rank. This official rank is usually part of their position and pretty high. Most Makuta with an official rank have a seat on the small council which is the main committee with which the Brotherhood’s leader would discuss important decisions. Otherwise the Brotherhood’s hierarchy is constantly shifting and mostly based on reputation and personal achievements.

1. Organization:

The Brotherhood is roughly organized into three main departments: Administration, War and Science. They didn’t exist from the beginning but were established over time – and not all necessarily at the same time.

Administration Department:
The Administration Department basically runs the Brotherhood and deals with economic and political matters. It also influences the other two departments. Positions in this department include:

• Leader (Rank 1, presiding over the small council)
    Has the last word in everything concerning Brotherhood politics. Usually the only one calling convocations if a situation demands it. Mostly an administrative post, but technically head of all departments.
    (Miserix/Teridax)

• High Chancellor (Rank 2, seat on small council)
    Right hand of the leader, advising him, relaying important orders and making sure that they are followed. Thus the High Chancellor technically also stands above all three departments. In case of a leader’s death the High Chancellor would automatically become the acting leader until a convocation could be held.
    After Teridax became leader the post of High Chancellor was divided up between Antroz (in theory second in command) and the small council (counseling). The small council was hardly ever summoned, though.
    (Teridax)

• High Chamberlain (Rank 3, seat on small council)
    While the Brotherhood’s leader nominally is assigned to Destral, the High Chamberlain actually supervises the island and takes care of everything that needs to be done. The High Chamberlain also acts as the Brotherhood’s treasurer. With the post of High Chamberlain comes direct supervision of various other posts: Guard Captain of Destral, Headsman/Jailor, Department for Recruitment and Finances
    (Vyrdran/Tridax)

• Guard Captain of Destral
      Supervision of Destral’s defenses. Directly answers to the High Chamberlain or – in case of an attack on Destral – also to the First Warrior.
      (Karthax/Tak)

• Headsman/Jailor
      Keeping and interrogating prisoners, master of Destral’s dungeons. If needed also performs executions. Directly answers to the High Chamberlain.
      (Hormahk/Karthax/Tak)

• Department for Recruitment and Finances
      Takes care of any dealings with non-Makuta. Mostly trade and recruitment. Directly answers to the High Chamberlain.
      (Jsasax, Chasnon, Dredzek)

• Head Librarian/ Head Archivist (seat on small council)
    Storing and sorting the accumulated knowledge of the Brotherhood and making it available in Destral’s library. Also involves safe storage of artifacts of any kind.
    (Sachel/Xoth/Tak)

• Leader’s personal secretary
    Attends the Leader, relays his orders, runs errands for him and takes care of minor clerical work for him.
    (Syrai)

• Department of Information
    Basically the head of the Brotherhood’s network of spies. Close collaboration with the Department for Recruitment and Finances. Directly answers to the Leader and/or High Chancellor, though.
    (Jormuntrax, Falkin)

• Staff
    Makuta who are usually sent to deal with political matters outside of Destral, for example acting as ambassadors or councilors. Some staff members might occasionally be allowed to join small council meetings.
    (Krika, Furtaan, Tagah, Vulon?, Fenerak?)

War Department:
The War Department takes care of military matters of any kind.

• First Warrior (Rank 3, seat on small council)
    Supreme military command of the Brotherhood’s forces outside of Destral if not told otherwise by the Leader. This includes keeping fortresses in good condition and well supplied, ordering troop movement and planning campaigns.
    (Antroz)

• Field Marshal (Rank 1-4, allowed to attend small council meetings)
    Usually simply the title of the supreme commander of the Brotherhood’s armies. By default the first Warrior is Field Marshal, but the title can be given to anyone leading the Brotherhood’s main army in battle. The Leader, High Chancellor and First Warrior can always strip someone of the title of Field Marshal.
    (Teridax/Ornek/Antroz/Dredzek)

• Generals (Rank 5)
    Command parts of the Brotherhood’s forces, including other Makuta assigned to them. Answer directly to the Field Marshal/ First Warrior.
    (Ornek, Xirok, Cenred, (Sidorak – although not allowed to give orders to Makuta))

• Warriors
    Makuta who specialized in combat. They are usually sent on the dangerous missions or are the ones fighting in battles.
    (Icarax, Bitil, Jarnat, Gantil, Troodax, Nevantar, Zurta, Zhun, Crytoss, Erevor, Chisk, Reppirax, Piraunga, Erdorn, Gorast, Kraiden, Isthra, Vadkanda, Scarla, Thorkahn, Tethis)

Science Department:
Since Makuta are allowed to basically focus on anything they want, there isn’t much of a chain of command or something such established within the Science Department. The Science Department is rather divided into rough groups in relation to what the Makuta mainly focus on. The two main groups could be called the Scientists and the Rahi Creators, although most Makuta in the Science Department would be qualified to fit into both of them.

• Lead Scientist (Rank 3, seat on small council)
    Not really an authority, but rather someone who acts as the spokesman of the Scientist on the small council. The First Scientist usually also is the one tasked with seeing to it that orders from higher up are followed by the other scientists. While not able to command anyone to do anything, the First Scientist nonetheless is a respected scientist and his opinion carries weight.
    (Tridax)

• Scientists
    Makuta who do research and construction in all kinds of fields not directly related to Rahi. They’re usually sent on mission requiring special knowledge or talents. If they’re available they are also sent on ordinary missions from time to time.
    (Netrux, Jorax, Marzek, Lomois, Ormen, Wanitama, Boldorah, Wreigth, Morathix, Zirolius, Yandra, Raximoras, Straintol)

• Lead Rahi Creator (Rank 3, seat on small council)
    Like the First Scientist the First Rahi Creator is mainly a spokesman whose opinion is respected, but who doesn’t give actual orders.
    (Kojol/Tridax)

• Rahi Creators
    The Rahi Creators are the Makuta who stayed true to the Brotherhood’s original purpose and study and create Rahi. Over time they were divided into two sub-factions with different views of their job: the Traditionalists and the Mutanists. Rahi Creators are usually the ones sent on missions involving Rahi of some kind.

• Traditionalists
      The Traditionalists believe it’s their job to keep the wildlife in the Matoran Universe diverse and useful or at least mostly not harmful towards the Matoran Universe’s inhabitants. They try to create working ecosystems and put great effort into studying their creations thoroughly to better attune future creations to their habitats and ecosystems. After Teridax assumed leadership the Traditionalists lost most of their influence within the Brotherhood.
      (Xoth, Hesbrix, Clanik, Anjan, Tak, Napak, Irutra, Moldavanka, Kindrix, Mazla, Rerekei)

• Mutanists
      The Mutanists over time put their personal interests and hunger for power before the task to create Rahi actually useful to the Matoran Universe. This mainly resulted in particularly ill-tempered and dangerous Rahi, a process that was furthered by a healthy concurrence within their ranks. Especially after Teridax became leader of the Brotherhood, the Mutanists came to dominate the Rahi Creators as they provided the Brotherhood with all kinds of Rahi it used to suppress, control or conquer the Matoran Universe.
      (Spiriah, Mutran, Chirox, Uloki, Vekaron, Manguopo, Aplekisa, Shornos, Ahkaxx, Nebunie, Scairix, Kaihodian)

(Makuta are put into the groups they would have belonged to if they had already existed.)
(/ means that only one Makuta occupied this position at a time.)

@ToaPanda

What exactly do you have in terms of backstory? I might be able to help.

Post 1 is updated again
There are again Makuta to be assigned

9 Likes

Expertly done. The word ‘Mutanist’ was especially pleasing to my audio receptors. I think @RealGregF would be proud.

4 Likes

Mmm, I love it.

2 Likes

I know that I want him to be a physician/doctor, but other than that I have no clue

@ToaPanda

Ok, let’s see… Right now I don’t necessarily need something super complex, basically only what he did and how he died. His motivations of why he did what he did I can always figure out once I write the Book of the Brotherhood entry if you don’t mind.

That said, here are some thoughts:

• he should maybe die after Teridax became leader but before the Makuta evolved into gaseous beings - because I think it would be weird that… Chirox? analyzed the Makuta’s gaseous Antidermis when there was a physician around.
  • as a physician your Makuta would of course treat any injuries of other Makuta if necessary, but mostly would have cared for valuable Rahi or non-Makuta stationed on Destral in the early days
  • as a physician your Makuta also might have been interested in the anatomy and physiology of various species of the Matoran Universe as well as in all kinds of substances that influenced those being’s health, body or mind
  • after Teridax’s takeover and the Makuta subsequently becoming beings of Shadow, your Makuta could have gone one step farther and actually performed experiments on various subjects - how deadly is this or that substance, what is a possible antidote, what happens if I cut this off, etc.
  • since there wasn’t really a way for your Makuta to perform experiments on other Makuta, though, he might have even done self experiments
  • eventually your Makuta might have found ways to biologicaly improve organisms of the Matoran Universe - tougher tissue, enhanced strength, etc. - so he might have decided to improve himself as well. Unfortunately for him it turned out that Antidermis reacted differently to these methods than Protodermis. While at first everything went as planned, and his Antidermis even showed better results, it turned out that somehow wahtever he did slowly turned his Antidermis into Protodermis. In short, at first he experienced trouble moving, then he basically became a statue.

Post 1 is updated again
There are again Makuta to be assigned

3 Likes

Man, I wish I was good at mocing, or at least had Bionicle pieces from before 2008, or even one of 2008 makuta. So, sorry…

Can I try my hand at building the Q named makuta?
If not can I snag that last spot, I’ve allready started on a Makuta moc for it.

Also, may I use the Tyrna, it’s kind of integral to his story.

@SteampunkTahu

As long as your MOC gets finished before anyone else finishes a MOC using a Tryna (I currently don’t know of anyone that will, though) that’s no problem.

You have read teh rules?

I’ll put you on the list for a non-canon male Makuta.

Post 1 is updated again
All Makuta are currently assigned

3 Likes

Spent an hour yesterday reading through them, now I just need go find the timeline, I’ll put some pictures up later today.

One question, which island should my Makuta be assigned to?

Edited for Double Post.
~Chronicler

1 Like

He doesn’t have to be assigned to a region. Otherwise you can find the regions still available in post 1.

Post 1 is updated again

3 Likes

Thanks

80 Makuta done!

Come on guys, only 20 more to finish.

Also two more forbidden masks:

• Mask of Aggression
  • Tryna, Mask of Reanimation

Post 1 is updated again

4 Likes

My Makuta is complete, hopefully I’ll upload it tomorrow.
Ps. How do you feel about a chemist?

1 Like

There’s already an alchemist, but of course your Makuta can be another one.

Post 1 is updated again

Which Makuta is it? I don’t want to step on their toes.

I have a similar mask in my stories that I’ve been calling the “Mask of Communication”.

2 Likes

@ToaTumult

Makuta Yandra (or Aegis in the topic) - link on the list above.

@Racie02

Will do, I guess. Thanks!

Post 1 is updated again

1 Like

Are these all taken? Not looking to work on one, just wondering.

Well…

:wink:

Also added a new Kanohi - the Mask of Intuition - to the list in post 1297. Any specific opinions?

5 Likes