The Brotherhood of Makuta - What About a Community MOC Project?

Wamruu works, thanks for the quick feedback!

No problem

wamuu

4 Likes

Can’t believe it’s done.

Looking back at Vamprah I see so many spots I could have done better, but I am still super glad I participated.

2 Likes

So, after roughly four years of wielding a pencil now and then, it’s done. I have drawn all 100 Makuta in this project.

Here’s a sneak peak. Expect a proper topic in the artwork category within the next two weeks or so. Need to figure out how to best take pictures, still.

13 Likes

I think the best way would be scanning, but if you have a high resolution camera on the phone individual photos with good light might also work.

4 Likes

Ok, already posted the drawings.

Since I wasn’t able to @ more than 50 people in one post I had to remove a few @'s though… After I cut people who haven’t been online in at least about a year or so that unfortunately still wasn’t enough. So here’s a special invitation for the active Message Board users I cut, I guess:

@MysteryMuffin
@Willess12
@Toa_Vladin
@Chronicler
@Toa_Radrix

11 Likes

Absolutely incredibly, Gilahu. It warms my heart to see this thing finished. Truly impressive.

6 Likes

I think this is worth announcing:

Red Star Games recently released a new map of the Matoran Universe together with a companion document giving a short summary of the various regions.

As part of RSG’s lore team, I had the honor of participating in this worldbuilding, which naturally meant that information from the Brotherhood Project also found its way in there (including the Makuta assigned to the regions of the universe). Due to the general character of the document, the amount of detail of course is limited, but I hope you might recognize a thing or two. :grin:

Aside from that I should maybe also give an update on the “Book of the Brotherhood”:
It’s getting increasingly clear to me that since the Makuta lore from this project needs to be interwoven with RSG lore, there’s not much point in continuing to write until it hasn’t been discussed in depth at RSG. Meaning at this point it’s even likely that the “Book of the Brotherhood” will one day be released through RSG.
When this day comes I can’t say, but currently things are therefore unfortunately on hold.

10 Likes

Time to resurrect this topic with something important:

At RSG (if you don’t know what that is, check the post above) the first steps into incorporating the Brotherhood of Makuta into game and lore are now under way - which means no less than that the Brotherhood Project entries start to become actually relevant.

As all of this will be done to feel both coherent in the lore and approachable for Doronai Nui players, there were made some internal decisions at RSG, however, the most important of which I’ll briefly relay to you:

The decision was made to not define the entire Brotherhood – this means that 10 Makuta will NOT be included. The background is that it was felt defining all Makuta would discourage players from creating their own. Additionally, a fully defined Brotehrhood might inhibit behind the scenes creativity where some unknown Makuta might come in handy at times to not need to align all lore with specific characters.

Interesting backstory elements from cut Makuta may be kept and instead be attributed to other Makuta, however. The decision which Makuta to cut was based on the following points:

• How much does the Makuta’s lore offer?

• At least 3 female Makuta (as there are only a total of 15) need to be cut

But rest assured that only Makuta by people who entered more than one were cut. This means that everyone who participated retains at least one Makuta. The cut Makuta are the following:

Clanik, Erevor, Jarnat, Karangu, Kindrix, Nebunie, Piraunga, Scarla, Uloki, Zhun

The main reason why I am writing today, however, is that there was also discussion about the names of the Makuta. RSG follows a very well-considered course in terms of naming characters, places etc., and many team members are also interested in linguistics. I was thus approached with the decision that some Makuta names will not be incorporated into RSG lore as they are for various reasons. This might be anything from simply not sounding like an in-universe name to some of them being perceived as being too easily associated with negative connotations.

As a result, the following compromise was struck: A list of alternative names was generated for the Makuta in question, and this list was agreed on with me. All the while, the goal was for these name suggestions to retain a semblance of the original name.

Furthermore, however, as these are your Makuta, based on this list you now get the chance to also give input. So read the following carefully, because this is how it will work:

Below, I will post the list of original names, RSG suggestions and ping the creator (some of you might be pinged multiple times, so read the list carefully). The creator then has the following options:

a) Simply give this post a like if you approve with the RSG name. The name will then be changed accordingly in RSG canon

b) If you do not like the suggested name, you may offer an alternative suggestion here which will then be assessed by RSG

c) If you do nothing, this will be considered an approval. This is because several Makuta creators are likely no longer active (been up to over 6 years after all)

Also important to note is that there are three tiers of severity you’ll find below:

• Purple tier names must be changed

• Red tier names should be changed and will be unless you can properly justify them

• Yellow tier names would be preferred to be changed, but are ultimately debatable

As settling the names is necessary for RSG releases which are in the works, I will need your feedback within 2 weeks until February 18th 2022.

Names List:

(original name - RSG suggestion)

Purple tier:
Ahkaxx - Arakosi @MakutaTexxidos
Furtaan - Vurtahn @Chronicler
Hormahk - Holmahk @pizzacheetah
Jormuntrax - Joturak @Solaris
Kerona - Korzia @Abyss_Lockstrider
Moldavanka - Movaka @Irrie
Sachel - Sakal @Sammythekat
Thorkahn - Thovin @Jemoph
Yandra - Yantra @Aegyptiacus

Red tier:
Avecious - Avekan @Styrofoam
Cenred - Kanrux @Distraxx
Chasnon - Chasnok @Sushiyoda
Chisk - Chalok @Xing1870
Diadus - Diakur @ToaNoah_Wafflemeister
Doraxus - Darox @Toa_Vladin
Flakin - Farakin @Silver_Falcon
Fenerak - Fulrak @AdamusTheFirst
Gantil - Gosatil @LurkingEhlek
Hesbrix - Hevrax @P1gNinja
Kaihodian - Kehodan @Kardax
Manguopo - Maigaru @darkbrick999
Nevantar - Nakantar @TBT_Emerald
Orexus - Okazus @Samtastictogo
Quatza - Korhil @Kikoa
Raximoras - Rakiraz @Gringat
Tak - Taruka @TheRed1s
Thiren - Thoxal @Miraku
Troodax - Tormul @Whovian41110
Urdunohk - Ulnohk @Monopoly
Wamruu - Varramu @MysteryMuffin
Xoth - Zottar @Willess12

Yellow tier:
Apaliska - Apaloka @MysteryMuffin
Barrion - Bakarok @StudentScissors
Belgahn - Bekalan @Ahkmou
Erdorn - Erdavar @Timeline15
Hakuin - Hrakul @Styrofoam
Jorax - Jorrok @DG_Eddie
Kidrov - Kiadrov @Toa_Radrix
Kraiden - Kradai @Payinku
Mazla - Mazava @Povak
Morathix - Atharik @MakutaTexxidos
Napak - Navvok @Povak
Netrux - Netorak @Hawkflight
Ormen - Okuvan @Nogus101
Rerekei - Raroki @Cyclopian
Sadakon - Sarikon @LegoDavid
Scairix - Savirak @SmeatyFlavor
Shornos - Sorok @TBT_Emerald
Syrai - Sirai @Maarlfox
Tagah - Tavakha @Chronicler
Vadkanda - Vakada @Windfall
Vamusahi - Vamuakhi @Holi
Varutahk - Vartahk @Inertiic
Wanitama - Waitava @darkbrick999
Xiavlak - Zivalak @SteampunkTahu
Xirok - Siirok @Sushiyoda
Zirolius - Xiolis @PotatoAlien
Zyrek - Zirek @Monopoly

Alright, here’s to hope I got it all correct :stuck_out_tongue: .
Of course, you are also welcome to give feedback in this matter if you’re not the creator or didn’t even participate in this project. The creator’s opinion comes before that of anyone else, though, of course.

Again - you have 2 weeks until February 18th.

16 Likes

Could you please give us more details about what exactly are the folks at RSG doing? Are they making a Bionicle game and they want to use our Makuta designs in it or something? And why do the names and lore details matter so much to them?

5 Likes

I don’t know how much they may be looking for in that regard, but I can get into some amount of linguistics behind my thoughts.

First off: I don’t mind changing the name “Xoth”. It’s a cool name, sure, but I’ll admit it may not be the most “Bionicle” name. However, as to what it would be changed to, I would suggest Zahtar instead.

Reasoning

Names that have an O can be pronounced two different ways: a short O, like the word “bot”, or a long O, like the word “boat.” Bionicle has used both, but there tend to be certain rules as to which pronunciation is used where, and if an O is followed by two consonants, it’s typically pronounced with a short O, like Bomonga (the second O) and Nocturn. The original name “Xoth” would’ve also followed this same trend – it would be pronounced more like the word “broth” than the word “both”.

Following this line of reasoning, the name “Zottar” would be pronounced similar to the name “Mata”.

Now, this next bit is super subjective: to me, a name with “otta” in the middle feels like a name that denotes significance, importance. It sounds like a title a priest might have, and doesn’t feel fitting for a Makuta like Xoth.

“Zahtar” may seem more different from Xoth, due to lacking an O entirely, but the pronunciation would remain relatively intact to what I originally imagined. It would also typically be pronounced the same way as “Zottar”, but it looks more like a “Bionicle” name, to me at least.

6 Likes

Barrion was derived from Barricade, which is where the MOC got it’s dark blue colour.

I don’t care that much if it is changed, tho I’d prefer it stay.

3 Likes

The main goal of RSG is the development of a Bionicle tabletop RPG called the Doronai Nui. In conjunction with this, RSG expands on canon lore to enable people who play the game to explore canon-compliant settings and play as or with canon species that saw not much canon screentime. For example, we put a lot of work into creating cultures for the Barraki’s species or assigning lore and names to various unnamed islands.
The Brotherhood Project Makuta will be integrated similarly - the most apparent perhaps is that we want to be able to put names on the governors of the various regions of the universe. But the Makuta’s lore will also serve to give people playing the game options to choose from and us developing the lore and scenarios something to work with.

The actual designs of the Makuta MOCs will likely not matter (as of current). Only their names and their lore will. The lore will be modified to fit RSG canon, of course, but I will try my best to keep the core of what defines each individual Makuta intact. The names, on the other hand, serving as the most immediately recognizable aspect of every Makuta while not having actual lore impact, I am of the opinion demand at least I ask for your input.
Of course, you will be credited with being the ones behind what served as the inspiration for the individual Makuta in published material.

Will bring this up at RSG and get back to you.

I’ll address it at RSG and get back to you.

1 Like

i’m fine with this change. It sounds similarly enough.

Though I am a little confused why this one doesn’t sound “in-universe” to the project leaders? We have characters like “Kojol” and “Gorast” in canon, and IMO “Tagah” is not far off in such naming conventions, as the g in the center of the name is a hard consonant like the other changes are here as well. It does sound like a Matoran name, but Tagah I always imagined as trying to be friendly to Matoran and took upon a name similar to them.

“Tavak” is fine enough, I think, so it sounds more similar to the original I think. I liked the simplicity of his name originally, and renaming it that way should be ok?

5 Likes

Raroki works, rolls off the tongue better. If I’m gonna be credited for something, credit me as Ava Isle, though. It’s just the name I’m better known by.

2 Likes

Will bring this up at RSG and will get back to you.

Noted it down in the RSG document mentioning creators, here’s to hope it won’t get overlooked when the time comes :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a tabletop RPG? I’ve literally never heard about this game genre before. I tried a quick google search to see what it was all about, and the result was… Chess?

1 Like

I’m myself actually lacking a bit of first hand experience on the topic, but if you google for Dungeons & Dragons, for example, that should give you the gist of it.

Alternatively, Wikipedia:

1 Like

Waitava from Wanitama is fine.

I like the sound of Maigaru, but ideally I’d like a name that retains the “ng” from Manguopo, as to me it’s the most distinctive sound in the name.

I’d also like to know the Matoran meaning behind the new names (assuming the RSG creators are still basing them on OutofGloom’s dictionary).

I’m assuming this process will happen again with the masks, and I’ll say now that I’ll be fine with seeing Manguopo’s mask name changed. The original is basically a joke, and I think it would take away from the overall RSG lore rather than add to it. I’d also like to reiterate that my intention for his mask of convenience was for it to alter probability to make what he was searching for easier to find, rather than contain a pocket dimension for storage. But, whichever is easier to implement as an actual game mechanic is fine with me.

(And, while this is obviously not my call, I will say that I think “Holmahk” sounds to much like “Hallmark” for my liking, and just makes me think of their sub-par Christmas rom-coms. I understand why Hormahk would need to be changed, though. I also completely forgot that their was a MOC in the project named Kerona. That aged… interestingly.)

Oh, and if you can put “Benji Huether” next to my alias, that would be appreciated. After over a decade of going by Daribrick999, I’ve grown attached to the name, but in this semi-official credit, I’d like my actual identity represented, too.

4 Likes