The Brotherhood of Makuta - What About a Community MOC Project?

I just noticed something:
Venarak and Fenerak are really similar names. The only difference is that one has a hard f sound and the other a soft f sound, so they sound basically the same.
Perhaps Venarak should be changed again, and I like the name Vekaron. If that’s not a problem for you.

1 Like

I will finish my Makuta by next week. - I’ve been experimenting with sort of a smaller build and Assassin-like esthetic.

1 Like

@Rac

Well, “Tridax” and “Teridax” are also quite similar (albeit not that much in terms of how they sound)
It doesn’t really bother me personally, but if you really want I can change Venarak’s name to “Vekaron”.

Updated list is in post 829
Rules can be found in post 829 and additions in post 1
Currently there are no more Makuta to be assigned

2 Likes

My issue isn’t with the spelling so much as the pronunciation, and as it is they sound basically the same. I guess you could fix that by saying that one is pronounced different, like “Vehn-eer-akk”, but then you’d have to clarify the odd pronunciation.

Besides, “Venarak” seems more fitting for a lanky agile guy like Fenerak, not a big brute like my Makuta is.

If naming is an issue, I should also remind you that Fenrakk is a thing too.

Well:
A) Fenerak is different enough from Fenrakk that they’re distinguishable.
B) Fenrakk isn’t a character, but a species. Granted, Vezon’s pet Fenrakk is called Fenrakk, which is like calling your cat “Cat”, but Bionicle tends to do that.
C) Venarak and Fenerak are both Makuta, a relatively small group. It’s like having two Toa on the same team named lorif and loriv.

Fair enough. I guess that’s based on the real-world tendency of parents to give their kids similar names – like having all their names start with K.
I’d still argue that hardening one consonant is too similar, though. Tolkien had Balin and Dwalin among the dwarves in The Hobbit, for example, but their names don’t start with similar sounds.

1 Like

Is that so bad? Tolkien pulled that one a lot.

2 Likes

Sorry that I haven’t updated anything yet. My geo exam is really taking its toll

1 Like

A) No… it’s really not.
B) what Fenrakk being a species has to do with anything?
C) Yeah, that’s awkward… I’m just reminding you that not even Fenerak is an ideal name.

I mean, we have Onewa and Onua, which are literally the same name spelled differently. We also have Reidak and Radiak, which I found super confusing, so I don’t think similar-sounding names are a new thing to BIONICLE.

Just because they’re a thing in BIONICLE doesn’t make them a good thing. V and F are literally the same sound, with a hardened or softened tone. It’s the equivalent of having a Ziggurat and Siggurat on the same team. It’s completely avoidable, so why not do it.

Well, i guess the point isn’t as clear since Fenrakk is a fictional species, but think about it from their perspective: it’s like having a guy named Doug. His name is similar to dog, but “dog” isn’t a name; it’s a word. Fenrakk is the same: to the bionicharacters, "Fenrakk’ is a word, not a name, at least not until Vezon used it as such. Vezon simply chose to call his pet by a word rather than giving it a name. Until Kardas, of course.

@Maarlfox
Well, just because Bionicle did it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. :wink:

Besides, my issue isn’t just that they’re similar-- it’s that they’re too similar, especially for two people who are part of the same Brotherhood group. Yes, Onewa/Onua have the same problem, but there’s nothing I can do about that. I can change Venarak to avoid repeating Bionicle’s mistake.

@MakutaTexxidos
Here’s the thing: I’m not saying that Bionicle doesn’t have similar names, or that it’s a horrible idea and should never be done ever. I simply don’t like it, and therefore don’t want to do it myself. I’m not going to demand that Troodax be changed for being too similar to Tridax. I might not like it, but there’s nothing I can do about it, no more than I can Onewa/Onua. I can change Venerak, to a name I like better anyway.

Edit: Also, just to clarify: I’m not trying to say “this is my mom, and you can’t tell me what to do!” I’m simply explaining why I chose to change Vekaron’s name. You’ve given you’re point for why it isn’t really an issue. I disagree, but I probably won’t change your mind any more than you can mine. Just wanted to clarify that I’m not trying to be rude.

3 Likes

New list and rules in post 1065

5 Likes

Kohuru will be posted (I’ve redesigned his limbs and removed his wings)as soon as I find a good camera and shooting location. On another note, before Lego takes down ‘ask Greg’, is there any way for you to ask him to canonize this book? Also, if anyone has a makuta who mutated into bug-thing with green and silver, but didn’t build it’s mutated form, I have a MOC that fits that description.

1 Like

I should be able to post Rerekei later today.

1 Like

I’ve decided to scrap my current Makuta for a new one with a different color scheme.

(Due to lack of parts)

1 Like

I’m not sure if it is a good way to aproach the canonization of the Brotherhood Project we all dream of through this chat.

I mean, what should I say? “Hey Greg, some awesome people and me are working on this Makuta Project. Please check it out and make it canon!”?
That sounds like a child demanding attention for something that probably isn’t worth much attention.
Maybe the Lego forum would permit me to actually say where everything can be found, but I won’t be able to post a link.
In addition, this project isn’t finished yet - and how should Greg know it will get finished at all?

It might become difficult to get Greg’s attention for this, once it is finished, but a proper “letter” with the complete “Book of the Brotherhood” attached to it has in my opinion a way better chance of success. Once this project is completed it might also get some more attention by the Bionicle community, which can only help in achieving the ultimate goal.

Besides the project is not reaching completion anytime soon. I would like to have all MOCs done by the end of 2017, but I doubt that the “Book of the Brotherhood” gets completed that soon…

Updated list is in post 993
Rules can be found in post 993 and additions in post 1
Currently there are no more Makuta to be assigned

2 Likes

After he Canonized Gold Good Guy, I was kind of under the impression that he didn’t really care anymore. However, you’re probably right.

Do you think these 2 will fit? I want the first one, but I’m not so sure about the death.

1 Like

#IT’S HAPPENING!

4 Likes