The Brotherhood of Makuta - What About a Community MOC Project?

Hey everyone, I’m still alive, and my makuta is coming along nicely, I should be able to photograph relatively soon, just finishing a few details, and setting up a lightbox

1 Like

So, I was writing on the “Book of the Brotherhood” and had a maybe interesting idea:

The Brotherhood’s main purpose originally was Rahi creation. Over time a lot of Makuta decided to become warriors or got interested in other scientific matters, though. However, some mainly stayed Rahi creators. I thought that maybe these Rahi creators over time seperated into two factions:

• the Traditionalists who always stayed true to Mata Nui’s will and populated the Matoran Universe with the Rahi it needed
  • the Mutanists (not sure about that name, though - any better suggestions?) who over time strove more and more after power and prestige, creating ever more dangerous Rahi

To the Traditionalists I’d presently count Xoth, Hesbrix, Clanik, Anjan, Tak, Manguopo, Napak, Aplekisa, Irutra, Moldavanka, Kindrix, Mazla, Rerekei.

Whereas the Mutanists are: Bitil, Spiriah, Shornos, Mutran, Uloki, Dredzek, Vekaron, Tridax, Ahkaxx, Nebunie, Kojol, Chirox

Also, I’d say that the Traditionalists didn’t benefit from the Plan - they simply wanted to create Rahi for the Matoran Universe. So basically they’re Teridax’s main opponents within the Brotherhood. However, here’s this: At the time of the Convocation only these Traditionalists were still alive/present: Xoth, Tak, Napak, Irutra, Moldavanka, Kindrix, Mazla, Rerekei. Irutra and Moldavanka cared too little for politics to care too much about who won - so they simply went with the winning side. Xoth and Tak were too fearful of Teridax. The others simply joined Teridax because he was the obvious winner or because they were in his debt - except for Kindrix. In the wake of eliminating Miserix’s supporters Kindrix, Napak and Xoth died, which shrank the number of Traditionalists down even further. Thus there were only five Traditionalists left - not nearly enough to be able to actually oppose Teridax in some way (ok, Mazla tried, but…)

This would actually add a nice… complexity to the inner Brotherhood politics, I think.

Any opinions?

(Yeah, I know that if suddenly a lot of people decide to make their Makuta Traditionalists this explanation gets kinda pointless…)

Updated list is in post 993
Rules can be found in post 993 and additions in post 1
Currently all Makuta are assigned

8 Likes

It’s like Sith politics, but more fun! I always thought the complex political inner structure of the Brotherhood could use expanding upon.

1 Like

I like it.

1 Like

This sounds really interesting!

1 Like

Interesting idea, I like it as well.

1 Like

I think that the idea of expanding on the internal politics of the brotherhood is great, looking forward to seeing how it turns out

2 Likes

So it has come to my attention that my Makuta, Moldavanka, has a continuity issue.

I wrote him to be the inventor of the Spear of Fusion, however that was back in July of 2016. Greg answered a question regarding that in February of 2017, stating that it was Arthaka who invented it, and it was stolen from his island by Kojol. Should we keep it as is, or do you want this to conform as close as possible to the actual canon?

3 Likes

@Irrie

Wow, thanks for pointing that out!

Do you have something specific in mind for Moldavanka instead, or shall I change his backstory as I see fit? I’d probably simply leave the Spear of Fusion out of his backstory completely.

Raximoras should be coming next week, sorry for the Valve timeframe here. Had to settle for some less cool photos with a phone and a subpar backdrop sadly, no space or resources for better at present. :T

2 Likes

Perhaps he somehow acquired it from Kojol after he took it from Artakha? I’d like to leave the spear in since that’s how most of my MOC photos of him are posed, but he doesn’t have to be the inventor. But if that doesn’t work with what you were planning, then you can go ahead and modify it however you like.

Also, I think that having Moldavanka occasionally collaborate with Xoth, the only other Makuta labeled as an ethologist, would be interesting since there aren’t many interactions between different people’s Makuta in this stories.

1 Like

@Irrie

I’ll see what I can do about including the spear, then.

I already had that same idea. I actually thought I had mentioned that somewhere already, but either I didn’t or Moldavanka’s name was removed from Xoth’s entry while making it shorter…
I’ll definitely mention Xoth in Moldavanka’s entry, though.

2 Likes

Sounds good!

Also, reading over the post you made earlier, I like the distinction you’ve made between Traditionalist and “Mutanist” Makuta. Perhaps a better name for the latter group would be Reformists or Reformationists, since they intend to change or reform the purpose of the Brotherhood?

Another thing: I noticed earlier that I never came up with an explanation for my Makuta’s Toa Hagah. Would you like for me to write one, or is the entry big enough as is?

1 Like

The way I see it they don’t care about the Brotherhood at all but rather about how they themselves could gain more power. Thus “Reformists” doesn’t strike me as very fitting.

Wait, he had a Hagah team?

1 Like

Didn’t all Makuta have a Hagah team, or am I misremembering?

1 Like

Only some had.

Hm, alright then. It might have been a good idea to have Toa around since his laboratory always had potentially dangerous Rahi roaming around it, but if you think it would be redundant to include a team for him, then we can just drop the idea.

Well, his lab was in the middle of nowhere and he mostly observed Rahi, so I don’t really see any reason why he should have a Toa team - those guys would probably die of boredom :stuck_out_tongue:.

The way I see it the Brotherhood most likely would only have assigned Toa Hagah to their most important members and those who could use them - after all these Toa are supposed to be the best of the best.
I’m not completely sure, but I think currently there are 10 Hagah teams assigned to Makuta of this project. I might make that a few more, though, for some Makuta simply seem to deserve one (Morathix for example).

1 Like

Alright, sounds good. I was planning on having him convert them into Shadow Toa and use them as lab assistants, but he could probably just do that with some Matoran that he “borrows” from nearby villages anyway.

2 Likes

I can’t remember if you unassigned the makuta assigned to me, but if you haven’t, feel free to do so. I haven’t gotten around to it, and I probably won’t. Sorry, and sorry if I already said this.