The Brotherhood of Makuta - What About a Community MOC Project?

Ok, I have finished half of the Book of the Brotherhood entries now (50/100) - thanks to the help of @Toa_Heatwave, @pizzacheetah and especially @Willess12 - and as promised you get to see two more entries now. As determined in the poll those will be the entries of Icarax and Krika.

Before that I’d like to also show you the plan/layout of the Book of the Brotherhood with everything I’m planning to include in it, though:

• Introduction
  • Makuta entries
  • Kanohi list (the one I mentioned in the rules and which I still keep updated)
  • List of assigned regions with description of them and who was assigned to them (in the entries only the original assigned regions are mentioned, here there will be things mentioned like Krika also being assigned to Zakaz after Spiriah messed up). I also still plan to give every region an actual name and not just call them “Northeastern Southern Continent” etc. I’m also still open for suggestions in that regard.
  • Updated timeline I posted a while ago
  • Updated Brotherhood hierarchy I posted a while ago

Well, and here are those entries:

Name: Icarax
Kanohi: Ayitaka, Great Mask of Scavenging
Assigned region: Karzahni

Ah, Icarax, this boisterous, overconfident fool. Dying at the hands of his “allies” really was a fitting end for one like him, but I’m getting ahead of myself.
I do have to admit that most of the time his shortsightedness quite amused me. Could someone of his status within the Brotherhood really be so naive as to think that bullying everyone into obedience was the key to rule the universe? Always he criticized my careful planning, demanding more action, calling me weak for using schemes to reach my goals instead of raw strength! But who controls power beyond anything ever imagined now, my dear Icarax, and whose atoms fill the air that all my new subjects breathe?

Icarax was a warrior. The finest the Brotherhood could muster in the eyes of some. Still, what did this make him? A mere soldier? He dreamed of leading the Brotherhood one day, but possessed none of the virtues of a leader. By rights I should have killed him after his pitiable attempt at rebellion against me. Indeed, I should have killed him right after the Convocation – being the last one to choose a side certainly suggested troubles with him in the future, but I had had my uses for him. Dispatching of Miserix’s supporters alongside Gorast, retrieving my Kraahkan from Mangaia, getting the Staff of Artakha for me – important tasks.

Eventually came the time when he again began losing what he called his “patience” with my Plan. Unfortunately I was too caught up in my final preparations to do anything at that point. At first Icarax merely refused to accompany Antroz to Karda Nui, but when he did show up, he endangered everything I had meticulously planned for so long. Only the quick intervention of Gorast kept Icarax from destroying the Codrex and dooming everything. It really is a shame that my Kraahkan was destroyed with him, but then I can always command Artakha to make me another.

Name: Krika
Kanohi: Crast, Great Mask of Repulsion
Assigned region: Northern region of the Northern Continent

Betrayal is such an… unpleasant behavior. Even more so when it has been going on for thousands of years. I have to admit that I underestimated Krika’s… rebellious side quite severely, and almost it cost me everything.

I always considered Krika as an intelligent and cunning if somewhat pessimistic and unambitious fellow. He could have easily held a much higher rank within the Brotherhood had he cared to do so, but his attitude of permanently only seeing the downsides of our decisions and his lacking belief in the future always stood in his way.
As such it came as no surprise that Krika took his time before making his choice at the Convocation, but I admit that I should have considered the possibility that there actually was some Protosteel behind his facade of self-pity and pessimism a bit more before assigning him the task of taking care of Miserix. I chose him and Spiriah because I was sure that none of them had much to gain from letting our former leader live. Krika doubtlessly was intelligent enough to see that even together they couldn’t oppose the rest of us. Assuming that he hadn’t found a third way and believing his wild tale of Miserix dying in a fight really was an inexcusable mistake on my part, but in the end Miserix’s survival changed nothing.

Much more problematic was Krika’s betrayal in Karda Nui. Never had I expected that anyone would help Icarax in a plan of his. Just consider that this dolt nearly killed the whole Matoran Universe with his feeblemindedness!
Krika also was the only one learning of my little… surprise in time to warn the others. It really would have been wearisome if I had to spend my precious time on disposing of my potential rivals myself. Fortunately Gorast’s blind loyalty prevented Krika from spoiling everything and through her hand he died the traitor’s death he deserved, even if for the wrong reasons. When she used her Kanohi Felnas, Krika’s power of Density Control got out of hand and he faded from existence. What a pity that not all deaths can be that clean.

Be aware that this is told from Teridax’s view at the time where Helryx is imprsoned by him in the Core Processor.

Any criticism/suggestions/opinions on everything here or for future things are greatly appreciated!

10 Likes

I love the writing style, it sounds very much like Teridax! One question I have is whether or not he would have known so precisely the events that transpired in Karda Nui, such as Krika’s betrayal and murder.

3 Likes

Teridax was already in the Great Spirit robot by this time, and able to talk to the Mahri as far away as Artidax. I think he could see the events in Karda Nui too.

~W12~

4 Likes

My theory for that is that - as @Willess12 pointed out - he had already taken Mata Nui’s place in the Core Processor at that time (after all this had to have happened before the Phantoka Makuta were blinded by Matoro’s use of the Ignika and thus the revival of Mata Nui). While Teridax lacked the energy to use the Great Spirit Robot, I deem it likely that he might have had access to its systems nonetheless - thus being able to watch the events throughout the Matoran Universe, even if he couldn’t influence them.

Rules and list in post 1
All Makuta are currently assigned

3 Likes

I have finished my makuta build click HERE to see it :grin:

If any spots become available, I’d be interested in submitting one. Let me know if one does, although I understand there may be a bit of a wait list. Thanks!

@superOHYA

You’ll have to remember yourself since the one who first claims the spot will get it - there is no waiting list. I can already say that probably a few spots will get available again around 3rd/4th March. No guarantee, though, and they might also get available sooner.

Rules and list in post 1

1 Like

Finally got around to updating my posts with new images! Some minor changes to Napak and Mazla if anyone is interested

2 Likes

Don’t remember exactly how Napak looked before - but in contrast to the first version he has improved a lot. Still love those legs.
Mazla just got symmetrical arms, right?

Rules and list in post 1

Yeah, the tubes on Napak were swapped out to be more accurate to the story and I replaced his sword with a crook thing, and you’re right about the change to Mazla, though I also made her sword have an actual handle.

1 Like

Hey. The reason I dropped out was because of not having enough parts, but I want to make sure these modifications would bring me back in if someone left. Note: the mask he has on is only to cover up the neck and would be changed.

As you can see, I bulked up the legs a bit.

The back is more complicated than a normal 2008 Makuta build as it has a backpack-like structure that allows his arms to attach. The red pin is optional but it helps him store his weapon. I already took the picture, but I just replaced it with a black pin. Also, the back story is being fleshed out. My plan is that he TRIED to replicate K-Kal. PM me if any spots open if you like the new build!

2 Likes

The arms could still use some work - and some green on the upper arms. In general the shoulders could be improved. It’s nice that you tried a custom build, but poseability of the shoulders seems to be really lacking.

There’s no waiting list, so whoever first requests an open spot gets it.

Rules and list in post 1

So, I mentioned I want actual names for the regions of the Northern and Southern Continents since “Southeastern Southern Continent” as an assigned region sounds stupid.

However, I don’t want any names, I want fitting names - meaning I want them to follow the “rules” of how regions are named in the Matoran Universe. Those rules are that a region’s name has either to be made up completely (for example Metru Nui, Stelt, etc.) or at least involve a made up word (for example Tren Krom Peninsula, Naho Bay).
I could of course simply name the regions of the continents randomly like I did most of the islands - but I feel like the names of the regions of the continents should mean something - maybe in relation to their landscape or stuff that took place there at some point and thus gave them their name (like it happened with Visorak). Of course in the end those names still are completely made up - but I’d like a story behind them.
Let’s take “Naho Bay” as an example - it’s named after a Toa of Water and thus “Naho” isn’t just a random word inside the story - do you get what I mean?

So I’d really appreciate some suggestions.

Here’s what I have so far - just gonna post the map again for quick reference:

Northern Continent:
Gorast - Tren Krom Peninsula (canon name)
Krika - ? - probably a relevant region for trade
Marzek - ?
Yandra - ? - tropical vegetation in a mountainous area

Southern Continent:
Nevantar - North Avana (“Northern Lands of Light”) - hint at Av-Matoran, but actually named thus because of reasons I haven’t yet defined - briefly was a sattelite state of the Brotherhood
Vekaron - South Avana (“Southern Lands of Light”) - hint at Av-Matoran, same landscape as North Avana (mostly grassy plains)
Scarla - ?
Xiavlak - Usoria? - landscape defined by frequent ash rains from Mount Valmai, inhabited mainly by Mantax’s species (if I remember correctly)
Tethis - ? - landscape defined by marshes and swamps
Rerekei - ? - landscape defined by lakes and wetlands
Vadkanda - “Eastcliff” - landscape defined by being rather mountainous, huge cliffs at the shore
Aveeccious - ?
Mutran - Kardaia (“Heartland”) - lies in the heart of the Southern Continent + hint at Karda Nui (although not named for that reason in universe)

Well, opinions?

Rules and list in post 1

7 Likes

time to shamelessly plug a few names from my own fanon stories. Ok, really only one is…

I’d suggest naming regions after the elements. Similar to Ta-Wahi, Le-Metru, Ba-koro, even Avana. So, for example:

Combining the prefix for plasma, Su-, with your name, gives us Sudoria, or perhaps Sudonia

Either of these, or perhaps both, could be something like Bokara (jungle homeland), or Bo-Wahi(region of jungle) (though you probably guessed that one)

Iron types are usually the most industrious, so perhaps Fenahu (from Fe: iron, nahu for port, so iron port/strongport)

What if Marzek’s experiments somehow resulted in a darkness over the land, or maybe the land just had natural shadow energy, so it became Krakana (land of darkness) (also out-of-universe a hint at the things Marzek did there)

I’d call it “The Eastcliffs”, if you want to use that name.

Perhaps one of these could be the homeland of the Barraki, and have a name that suggests such (though maybe few remember what it means now). Something like Bari-Kara (home of the warlords) (and, out-of-universe, a hint at their fate)

Just a few ideas, anyway.

1 Like

Valid idea, but I think we shouldn’t overuse that. After all most regions outside of Metru Nui and a few other places are mostly populated by other species - even though you can find Matoran settlements almost anywhere. The names of Ta-Wahi etc. also originate from the island of Mata nui where only Matoran lived.
Using the word “Wahi” for “region” somewhere else might work well, though…

I like that, though.

Personally I’d rather prefer a hint at water there. Jungle would rather fit for Yandra’s region in my opinion.

They already kinda have Nynrah, though. Come to think of it the Northern Northen Continent might have been the place of the Barraki’s defeat…

No they didn’t and no it didn’t. It’s just a “normal” region in that regard.

I want a “Matoran” word somewhere in there…

I don’t think there’s a homeland of the Barraki - they appear to have been all from their parts of the universe.

Rules and list in post 1

1 Like

Not that it particularity matters, but I had imagined Aveeccious’ land to be where Scarla’s is, right below Destral, where Miserix could keep an eye on him. Doesn’t really matter, though, so its chill.

Regarding the naming of lands, I used Tolkien’s dictionary to give it a shot.

Zevua- Drained power reservoir (potential intrigue)

Dōka- Powerful order/authority (Perhaps a name of a location or group within the Brotherhood)

Zanua- Unseen Tactic (A treacherous cliffside or swamp, perhaps?)

Satai- Scattering of spirit; consuming of spirit; consuming of being

Volisar/Volisare/Volasar- flickering sadness, wavering/flashing wistfulness

Fataruha- Contained spirits of stillness/wisdom

Tarametru- free-flying city

Perhaps these could be lands or locations?

1 Like

I agree, I only submitted a bunch of ideas so that you could choose which ones you liked/didn’t like.

Fair enough, it was just a thought.

2 Likes

Yo, Gilahu

Couple things

2. I re-uploaded the pictures on Xoth and Isthra's topic. I didn't fix the outdated backstory, [spoiler]....[/spoiler]but I can if you want. 1. I also made a group shot of several Makuta, with help from @Racie02 .

(It’s an old picture, hence the original form of Uloki)

I dunno if there’s anything you can do with that, but it’s here if you want it.

~W12~

3 Likes

Wait… do you and Racie know each other in person?

1 Like

@Willess12

Thanks! The fact that I can use light blue for Xoth, too, will definitely help… Still I fear I’ll mostly have to stick to black because of the lack of useful Mata blue parts…

Zhun and Clanik are surprisingly tall compared to the others. Didn’t think they were that big.

Ok, cleanup time:
The following people are removed from the list due to inactivity (you can always join again as long as there are Makuta left):

@Payinku, @DannyBoyy, @Morgy

Also @Abyss_Lockstrider I have pointed out what you need to fix in your entry, but haven’t gotten a response nor was the topic updated. Please tell me if you want to drop out or if you’re working on it - if you fail to give feedback I’ll remove you from the list on March 14.

Rules and list in post 1

There are again Makuta to be assigned

2 Likes