The CCBS Topic

Hmmm, I think something as large as an axle or pin hole would just make the shell unsightly.

I mean, if people can stand the super gappy and robotic, axle/pin hole covered pieces of old, they can stand this. I feel that it would be worth the opportunity.

2 Likes

The difference is that the older limbs almost never went without armour that filled in the gaps. If CCBS shells had larger holes in them a lot of figures (like the 2015) which often reply on just shells for coverage would turn out gappy.

2 Likes

Good point. I just feel itā€™d be worth it. They could design it in a way to allow an axle to fit all the way through and fill it.

Iā€™m just trying to find ways to fix how I always feel lost when it comes to customizing shells.

Do you have much experience with HF? I used to think CCBS was pretty limited but taking a closer look at all the various add-ons and specialized pieces that line introduced has begun to change my mind.

1 Like

I have several CCBS MOCs (which is a lot since I have very, very few MOCs). To be fair, I donā€™t consider myself a very creative MOCist. That could be the issue.

Anyways, I would take the axle hole in exchange for the minimal effect on the appearance.

1 Like

Have you ever heard of @LoganMcOwen? Heā€™s got some pretty stellar CCBS MOCs. Theyā€™ve really inspired me to get more creative with the system and maybe you get some inspiration too.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard the name. Those really are some amazing MOCs, but I think my argument is strengthened when the only shells on the MOC are either standard or have the normal addon piece.

Iā€™m not complaining about the customization of the system in general, Iā€™m referring to the shells.

1 Like

Personally I focus more on using multiple shells to gain a complex shaping rather than using detail, but in the instances I need to use something other than the standard addons pieces with a bar connection point are extremely helpful. From there you can attach technic or system pieces depending on what you want.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that is not extremely effective when making small/thin MOCs.

Then as I said before, bar and clip pieces are extremely useful.

7 Likes

It really all boils down to what kind of moc you want to make. A smooth, aerodynamic moc is easier to make with ccbs, a detailed one with technic and old bionicle parts. Ccbs is a subset of technic so you have plenty of opportunities to mix the two. Itā€™s really quite genius how the systems are designed to work in tandem.

Are there any images of custom ccbs pieces or 3d printed ccbs pieces?

12 Likes

I canā€™t express how much I love the CCBS System. Itā€™s the first system thatā€™s really worked well for LEGO. I love it. There is so much custom-ability with the system. Using the Ball and Socket System really helps itā€™s custom-ability. There are just so many ways of using it. You can make a simple hero or villain, or an animal, or maybe even a titan. Thereā€™s just so much! And with the new torsos they have introduced this year, there is even more you can do with the system! I just love that there is so much you can do with it. MOCing never gets old with the system.

@LoganMcOwen Itā€™s true though. You MOCs are really good, and look like actual sets.
Iā€™ve seen lots of your MOCs with custom prints on the chest. I was wondering, How do you get custom prints on you Superhero Chest Piece?

6 Likes

I donā€™t mean to speak for him, nor do I want to disappoint you by saying this, but the ā€œcustomā€ Superhero Chest Pieces are actually knockoff parts.

4 Likes

Oh, I see. Thanks for letting me know. I remember him using parts from ā€œFusion Warriorsā€ for his Furno MOC.

I do often use third-party parts, yes. Most of them are produced by the Chinese company XSZ - You can find their products on AliExpress.

3 Likes

I hope CCBS stays for good as the definitive constraction system. Its easily worked around with Old Bionicle and Technic, so much so that besides couple of more innovative skeleton bone pieces (which were already made as custom 3D printed pieces) , the general CCBS is a solid system.

@LoganMcOwen
After Finding the image for another page, I thought the chest pieces looked familar, you used the Bootleg Iron Man chest piece.

4 Likes

That I did!

XSZā€™s stuff is pretty good. The plastic is a little bit cheaper feeling, but the colours match up with Legoā€™s pretty ā– ā– ā– ā–  perfectly - the only exception Iā€™ve found being their silver colour, which is more akin to that used by Lego pre-CCBS. Also, their bone pieces are moulded a little differently, having much more friction than Legoā€™s. All in all, their unique stuff is worth investing in for the recolours and exclusive moulds.

7 Likes